Jane Krakowski in "Nine"

ReederWI Profile Photo
ReederWI
#0Jane Krakowski in "Nine"
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:52pm

I never saw this show or heard much about her performance. How was she? Who did she play and what helped her win the Tony for this role?

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#1re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:55pm

She was the mistress (her name escapes me). I have the recording and from that she sounds good.

littleredridinghood Profile Photo
littleredridinghood
#2re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:58pm

She played Carla, the mistress.

Apparently she had some really big sexy entrance. I didn't see the show (wish I had - sooo much talent), but she sounds GREAT on the recording.
Updated On: 5/31/05 at 05:58 PM

elvenprincess971 Profile Photo
elvenprincess971
#3re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:59pm

The character's name was Carla. And she was fantastic on the recording... which is all i got to get of "Nine". I would have loved to see it

Love, Miss Britt

PJ
#4re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:01pm

Well, I believe she won because she had the showier role of the other actresses nominated from Nine. I actually hoped that Tammy Blanchard would take it for Gypsy.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#5re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:05pm

^^ Me too! Jane's ENTRANCE in Nine deserved the Tony...not her role or performance. Tammy Blanchard should have gotten it!

fishergirl819 Profile Photo
fishergirl819
#6re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:07pm

I was lucky enough to see her in the role, and my god, if a Call From the Vatican wasn't the sexiest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

She ascended onto the stage from above, donning only a towel. She sat in a towel-swing sort of contraption, and over the course of the song she was lowered down onto the table Antonio was sitting at. Let's just say that once on the table, there was a lot of writhing around and groping of herself and well....let's just say it was insanely hot.

PJ
#7re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:11pm

On her way back up after "Vatican," her naughties usually fell out of the blanket-wrap thing she was covered in since she was lifted upside down and taken up.

JGym
#8re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:13pm

I agree that it was really a great performance. Here's a pic that I found. re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'

Mother's Younger Brother
#9re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:28pm

I saw it too, and I agree that it was great. But to give what is a essentially a one-song role the Tony over Tammy Blanchard's Gypsy Rose Lee just never made sense to me.

PJ
#10re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:37pm

Tammy's interpretation of the role wasn't unanimously praised. Some loved her, some liked her, and some thought she was terrible.

Broadway_freak Profile Photo
Broadway_freak
#11re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:51pm

Yeah, and Beyonce stole her entrance from Jane in Nine for the MTV awards awhile back. And then the next day at school everyone was like "did you see beyonce on that thing...blah..blah". Yeah, and now Beyonce gets credit for it.

Mother's Younger Brother
#12re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:54pm

Tammy was THE best thing about Gypsy...I guess I was just underwhelmed by Jane in Nine (especially considering it's Tony win). Oh well.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#13re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 7:06pm

"Yeah, and Beyonce stole her entrance from Jane in Nine for the MTV awards awhile back. And then the next day at school everyone was like "did you see beyonce on that thing...blah..blah". Yeah, and now Beyonce gets credit for it."

Beyonce even said in an interview with Access Hollywood saying that she saw Jane in the role (and her entrance) and thought it was so amazing that she wanted to use it for her performance on the MTV awards.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#14re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 7:26pm

Jane was just a Phenomenon in this. They hadda work to find something to equal ( NEVER surpass) The previous version & they did!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#15re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 10:03pm

Jane was divine and she had some tough F Me Pumps to fill.
Anita Morris as the original (Tommy Tune) Carla gave one of the great Broadway performances of all time.
Tammy was very good too, in Gypsy.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#16re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 10:09pm

jane was really great at 'vatican'. i mean part of it was the entrance, but also hitting that C or whatever it was while upside down, in a towel, is pretty awesome. 'simple' was very unimpressive, though.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#17re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 10:11pm

And she just plain looked incredible.
She might have saved Charity.

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#18re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:12pm

She was great, perfect for the role!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#19re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:15pm

I even loved her bows.
That is a star.

brdlwyr
#20re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:16pm

She was so sexy excellent, and I said hello to her at Angus Indie (sp.) and she was sweet.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#21re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:28pm

She has gown so much since GRAND HOTEL.

#22re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:12am

I was fortunate to see this revival with the original cast and Jane was terrific. I was rooting for Chita ...but when am I not.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#23re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:20am

I loved everything about the NINE revival - including Jane, but I don't think she should have won the Tony.

The Tony should have gone to the brilliant Mary Stuart Masterson (also from NINE) for giving one of the most refined, heartbreaking, and strong performances I have ever seen - she carried the show.

As for Tammy Blanchard, I disagree. Out of all the supporting performances that year, hers was the worst. She cannot sing and her acting is very questionable. While she did okay as Louise, she was the weakest part of the whole show. Laura Benanti or Mary Beth Peil should have been nominated over her.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#24re: Jane Krakowski in 'Nine'
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:43am

Tammy was the best part of Gypsy? I guess shouting without any thought given to the moment to moment of life of a character wins over the leading lady's legendary performance in which she poured 100% of her guts and soul into every show.

Videos