Lord of The Rings Musical

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#0Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/6/05 at 8:01pm

Is anyone going to go see the play when it opens up in Toronto for its world premeir, or anyone have any remote interest in it?
http://www.lotr.com/

grizzabella
#1re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/6/05 at 9:20pm

I keep hearing about this, DefyingEDCT, and I truthfully don't know what to make of it. The book by Tolkien is over 1000 pages, the movie version lasted over 11 hours in its director's cut versions, and I can't begin to imagine what an LOTR musical would be like. I can't conceive of condensing it into a musical, or how to stage it. And I thought Howard Shore's soundtrack was sublime, so that's sort of stuck in my consciousness, too. A lot of unlikely things have become musicals, but I have doubts about this project.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#2re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/6/05 at 9:31pm

I have tickets to the first show. I'm mostly going out of curiousity.

RentBoy86
#3re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/6/05 at 9:33pm

is coming to B'way or the West End?

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#4re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/6/05 at 9:33pm

I'll see it I'm sure...Esoecially if someone I know is in it. He made it pretty far through auditions for Merry, and his roomate for Pippin.

Akiva

Madame X2 Profile Photo
Madame X2
#5re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/6/05 at 10:26pm

Feel free to laugh at my lack of knowledge, but is this a play or a musical? A musical would be pretty funny.

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#6re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/6/05 at 11:35pm

F*ck no!!!!! If they actually bring this to the Great White Way, I think I really will shoot someone. Peter Jackson f*cked it up enough. Leave Tolkien's masterpiece ALONE!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#7re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:08am

I'd just like to see it out of curiosity, I'm sure it's horrible. 3 3 hours movies in one show? What would they sing?...

"I'm a little hobbit short and stout..."

charliebrownkid Profile Photo
charliebrownkid
#8re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:09am

when does it open?

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#9re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:13am

This WILL be a spectacle, at the very least...and I won't miss it if it comes to Broadway

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#10re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:49am

OPens Spring 2006, And yes it is a musical. I think its going to be spectacular, with 12 lifts and elevators it will be amazing

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#11re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 1:50am

Wow... its gonna be HORRBLE glad i'm not gonna pay money to see it.

LoudIrishGirl
#12re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 2:22am

Hahaha I can't believe I haven't heard of this...if it does happen then I may try and see it just to see it and say if it was crap or f*ckin hilarious. Worse come to worse, if it's absolute crap then I can always joke about having seen it.

hahahaha LOTR musical...the very though just makes me laugh.

"If you can talk, you can sing...if you can walk, you can dance." - T.K. Greene

Link Larkin Wanabe
#13re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 2:25am

Are you guys stupid?

A musical can be more that shnazzy showtunes and big production numbers. This production is more like an opera than anything. I am certain it will be quite wonderful and very theatrical, and I am not even a Tolkien fan. Not every production is the Producers or Spamalot...there can be deeper, much more epic shows. I say have some faith in a great creative team.

Akiva

arykahmarye
#14re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:04am

I don't think it's a matter of what kind of production this musical will be, operetta or shnazzy shnit. You've got this epic tale crossing an entirely made up country of Arthurian legend with dragons, dwarves, Nazgul, and the all-seeing eye of Sauron, among many other things. The damage done to Tolkein's story by Peter Jackson still boils my blood, and i can't think about it with out clenching my teeth in rage.

So it's not worrying about making a 'Spamalot'-esque show, it's the thought of trying to cram an entire world, and entire life's work into three hours that causes Tolkein fans worry. We saw our beloved trilogy ripped apart and molded into something horrible and foreign, and fear another monstrosity.

I watched the clip of the production so far that was available on some Canadian site. While some things looked amazing, i still worry and wonder. 'Lord of the Rings' was a big part of my childhood, having it read to me, and finally being old enough to read it myself. I just have very little faith that such a tale can successfully be translated to the stage.

Still, we'll see.

"Umm...A1 is a steak sauce."

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#15re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:15am

After watching the clip thing some time ago, I felt more confident about the musical, but STILL wonders how they put 3 books together into 1 musical, esp there was 3 movies made of it in a total of 12 hrs! But hey! they always surprise us! We thought Lion King, B&B wasn't gonna work, but they did! so, let's have faith/I have faith! Let's hope after it opens in Toronto, it'll open in the Dominion in London!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

wonderland
#16re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:15am

This production is kind of like the apocalypse. You hear about it, but you don't really believe it could ever happen.

And then it does. And it's very very bad.

Link Larkin Wanabe
#17re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 4:24am

Anyone with the link to this video?

Akiva

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#18re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 5:56am

Clip? I HAVE to see this! lol.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#19re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 5:59am

Another theme park ride musical. How tall do you have to be to get on?

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#20re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 7:12am

if you search for it, you'll have it. But here ya go:
https://www.broadwayworld.com/blogs/viewblog.cfm?blogid=843

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

freeadmission
#21re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 9:13am

arykahmarye, I love you. I really do.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#22re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 9:51am

My God you people are bitter. If you don't want to see it, just don't go, but your wasting your breath by getting angry.

Geez, lighten up.

Anyone ever seen Wagers Ring Cycle? This could work on stage.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

freeadmission
#23re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 10:11am

I'm not bitter. I'm defensive.

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#24re: Lord of The Rings Musical
Posted: 7/7/05 at 11:05am

I'm just amazed that the MUSICAL got the rights to the url www.lotr.com.

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

Videos