pixeltracker

What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?

What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?

Broadwaygirl22 Profile Photo
Broadwaygirl22
#0What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 7:09pm

They've already put Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King on Broadway and I'm sure a whole bunch more musicals that I don't know of are on Broadway, but what about Pocahontas? I would see it if it was on Broadway. I probably won't see The Little Mermaid or Tarzan though.

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation."

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#1re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 7:10pm

I think it would be a MUCH better choice than TARZAN.

But, I'd only see it if Sara Ramirez was Pocahontas.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#2re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 7:13pm

I agree its a better choice than Tarzan...or at least I would certainly enjoy it more...

...Sara sings color of the winds on her website, and well I would love to see her, I don't think that she is the end all and be all choice for the role

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Broadwaygirl22 Profile Photo
Broadwaygirl22
#3re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 7:16pm

I think Lea Salonga should play Pohahontas. She has a good voice. Does anyone know who's going to be in Tarzan?

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation."
Updated On: 7/8/05 at 07:16 PM

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#4re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?

Didn't they already do an event like this in 1995 in Central Park called THE SPIRIT OF POCAHONTAS?

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#5re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?

Perhaps not, BluCat. But it's still a fantasy of mine. Hehe.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#6re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 7:17pm

re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway? I totally understand...I would love to see her as Ursula...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#7re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 7:20pm

Lea Salonga is a bit long in the tooth for the part. Not to say she's old...just too old to play Pocahontas.

The true Pocahontas was in her teens when everything happened...and while I'm sure they won't cast a teenager in the role...I doubt they'd cast a 34 year old either. Especially when she doesn't look Native American at all.

gavrochegirl
#8re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 7:34pm

TOO...MUCH...DISNEY...ON...BROADWAY.
That's my view.

What the puck?!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#9re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 7:35pm

I would think, "Where's the gun?!" I never really liked that movie as a kid, though I'm sure if I looked back I'd enjoy.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

kikki327 Profile Photo
kikki327
#10re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 10:32pm

I agree with gavrochegirl. Disney needs to leave Broadway alone!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#11re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 10:39pm

I agree, leave the little mermaid and the res ton video. i mean its all for kids, not saying adults cant enjoy. but i cant wait for woman in white to arrive and sweeney and more musicals that are intelligent.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Georgeanne Profile Photo
Georgeanne
#12re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 10:41pm

I think it would transfer well, but let's hope that the Disney executives do not read this and get any ideas.

If Pocahontas is ever to try and make it to Broadway, let's hope it is not in the near future. Too much all at once makes bad business.

Me, I like to live.
Me, I like to laugh.
Me, I like to love.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#13re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 10:46pm

While Pocahontas and John Smith could be decent roles, which actor will be tripping over himself to play a talking racoon??

If Disney just HAD to put out another musical, I'd like it to be Mulan or Aladdin.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Georgeanne Profile Photo
Georgeanne
#14re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 10:50pm

Ooh, Mulan would be a good one!

Me, I like to live.
Me, I like to laugh.
Me, I like to love.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#15re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 10:56pm

The racoon? What about the hummingbird?!?!?

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#16re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 10:59pm

The SPirit of Pocahontas was the name of the Pocahontas stage show at Disney World. It played at the Animal Kingdom, I believe.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#17re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 11:04pm

There would be lots of "Is he/she Native American enough to play so-and-so?!" wank.

It'd be entertaining.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

tumadre2
#18re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/8/05 at 11:04pm

I don't think it would be a good idea, however, Karen Olivo would make an absolutley gorgeous Pocahontas.

rockfenris2005
#19re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:30am

I'd have to play Ratcliffe!

hehehe

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Eliza0114
#20re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:34am

go away, Disney. go away. you have your movies...let us have Broadway!

"you can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl." ~Rent

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#21re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:38am

They'd get Jonathan Pryce to play the Chief and Sarah Brightman to be Pocahontas. Throw in B.D. Wong as John Smith and Ben Vereen as Ratcliffe and to quote Carl Weathers in Arrested Development "Baby you've got a stew goin'"

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

#22re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:44am

I agree with the earlier statement... too much on Broadway at once. I would not have so many things on Broadway, especially with the Tarzan and Little Mermaid in the near future. I would love to see Lea Salonga back on Broadway though.

rockfenris2005
#23re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/9/05 at 12:48am

Sarah Brightman as Pocahontas! HOLY COW!

That's just as bad as Andrew Lloyd Webber as Meeko and Tim Rice as Flit

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#24re: What would you think if Pocahontas was on Broadway?
Posted: 7/9/05 at 1:03am

sumofallthings- You have some craaaaayzay ideas there, that would just be plain hilarious.
In all seriousness (word?), while Disney needs to leave Broadway alone for at least five years (which it will never do, by the way), it would be the best idea Disney has had in a while. I mean while Aida was wonderful vocal/acting wise, the book reaaaaally stinks (sorry if anyone disagrees, I mean I loved it-but just because Headley, Pascal, and Scott made the best of the material they had), and The Little Mermaid and Tarzan aren't the best ones it could transfer to the stage. Pocahontas is probably one of the better choices they have left (among Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan, not so sure about Aladdin - there's a musical of this already, the fights over the rights would be unbearable).

Videos