pixeltracker

the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...

the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#0the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 2:33am

I posted last week that I heard that Disney was looking to buy out the restaurants (Frankie and Johnny's, Barrymore's, Puleos, etc.) on 45th Street, knock them down, and build a theatre.

I was only half correct.

So now, it's official - but it's not Disney. The Shuberts own all of those buildings, and are planning to demolish the existing ones to build a second Marriot hotel, with a Broadway theatre inside (much like the existing Marriout Marquis.) It's not certain yet whether or not the Shuberts will be buying out the restaurants and tenants that have time left on their lease, or if they will wait for them all to run out. According to Barrymore's, the project is definite, but it may be up to 3 years before all the restaurants finally close and vacate.

Very sad, indeed...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CJWesselman Profile Photo
CJWesselman
#1re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 2:56am

:-/

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#2re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 7:56am

I've never even eaten in any of them. But they've formed the backdrop to some great adventures with friends this summer. I'd hate to see them vanish.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#3re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 8:00am

I have eaten at Franky and Johnny's. The Hoboken, NJ one is a lot better actually. Still see them knock anything down there. I already miss the HoJo's!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#4re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 8:03am

Is it wrong to feel conflicted? I'd miss the restaurants, but would welcome the new theatre.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#5re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 8:09am

NYC ... without Barrymores? OMG this is really poopy!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

#6re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 8:32am

Why tear down restaurants to build theatres...when there's PERFECT theatres available in the city. let's look at 42nd street. It's called McDonald's!!
Take that crap down,..along with Models and Foot Locker and Skechers..and build what it's supposed to be....theatres!!

If anyone wants to see a great film...it's called
Broadway: The Golden Age.

it can show you the tru defenition of what Broadway was...

a lost world...indeed!!!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#7re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 8:45am

McDonalds is located in the historic Candler Building. There WAS a theatre located in that building (the Candler, later known as the Harris), but it was demolished.

I'd have no qualms about those other crappy structures on 42nd Street being demolished to make way for a theatre.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

trpguyy
#8re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 8:52am

Hey, I guess I was right when I said that people shouldn't be worried abou Disney, because the Shubert's already have the monopoly on Broadway.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#9re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:30am

I heard this weekend from many people that McHale's on the corner of 46th and 8th is closing because Disney has bought 46th Street between 8th and Broadway.

Illegally Blondish Profile Photo
Illegally Blondish
#10re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:42am

I don't know what I'm going to do without Barrymore's! It is by far my favorite restaurant in midtown. I may shed a few tears when it's gone. (It's pretty embarrassing when you're that attached to a restaurant... I'll never forget the day Omega closed. So much for Sunday brunches...)

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#11re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:45am

I think I'll have to be there on the final night for last call, sad so sad!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#12re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:49am

I hate that they are demolishing the restaurants, but what is even worse, to me, is another theatre like the MARQUIS. It has no character, and I hate that it seems like a Vegas theatre all tucked away in the hotel. At least they could build a new theatre that is classic.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#13re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:58am

If they want a theatre, they should try to get the Mark Hellinger back!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 1:31pm

See, the way it works is you buy four restaurants first, and then you can trade them in for a hotel.

I thought everybody knew that game.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#15re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 1:38pm

Evicted by a shubert...how sexy...If i were one of the tenants, I'd give UP my apartment and strike a deal for free tickets to any shubert org. show for the next 10 years

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

kyle33nyc Profile Photo
kyle33nyc
#16re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 1:46pm

What people are not considering is that not only will there be a new theater, but a hotel that will generate additional theater-goers. I hate to see the old New York disappear, but this is a much better situation for the theater community than other "revitalizing" plans for the Times Square area. I'm still irked that we have a wax museum on 42nd St. And how many multiplex screens are necessary?

The "new" Times Square sure doesn't have much love for the industry that has served as its backbone for the past century.

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#17re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 1:49pm

"I heard this weekend from many people that McHale's on the corner of 46th and 8th is closing because Disney has bought 46th Street between 8th and Broadway."

NOT MCHALE's!!!! I love that place! I go there about four times on every week long trip!

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL
Updated On: 9/27/05 at 01:49 PM

xxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
#18re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 3:03pm

Barrymore's was the first restaurant I ever went to in NYC. It holds very special memories.

So sad...

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#19re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 3:11pm

Once again I say this is soooo pooooppppy! Barrymore's is like an institution. Gosh such memories. What is next Sardie's?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#20re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 3:15pm

Since all hotels usually have restaurants inside them, How about incorporating Barrymore's into the proposed new hotel?

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#21re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 3:29pm

Sadly that would kill the "spirit" that is Barrymore's.

One time when I was there a young woman asked the waiter who Barrymore was. Sad so sad really.

Updated On: 9/27/05 at 03:29 PM

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#22re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 3:42pm

another pointless destruction of places for the reqular new yorkers go. and another unaforadable theatre to go to.
yeah..this is so charming...shuberts just keep makin it better...ha ha

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#23re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 3:44pm

Yeah, theatre lovers just hate new Broadway theatres.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#24re: the fate of the 45th St. restaurants...
Posted: 9/27/05 at 4:39pm

Yes bare_nakedlady, it is true. McHale's will soon be no more.