I know, ANOTHER Wicked question

bwaylover86 Profile Photo
bwaylover86
#0I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:42am

Sorry I know questions like these come up all the time and sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know why on the recording of Wicked there is a part about drinking green elixar by the Wizard in the very beginning with Elphaba's mother but during the show they do not include it? Maybe it was just the time I saw it, so also has anyone seen it and had it included in the show? Just curious, thanks!

"That boy could use some Prozac"

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#1re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:43am

It is in the show.

bwaylover86
#2re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:55am

Seriously? Wow then I feel so ripped off lol not really but they didnt do it when I went a couple weeks ago re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question

RentBoy86
#3re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 1:20am

Maybe you just missed it. Why would they ever cut it from the show? The part at the end would not make sense. Its in the recording, and was at the shows I saw.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#4re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 4:33am

I've always wished they cut this part from the show....doubt they have.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#5re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 5:02am

Why would anyone post this?
It's obvious that this individual has never seen this show,
it's not like they can cut that part (or any for that matter) just because...ughhhh....

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bwaylover86
#6re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 10:14am

EXCUSE ME- I saw the show on January 11th, the wednesday matinee and I have the playbill and ticket to prove it. IT WAS NOT IN THE PERFORMANCE I SAW. I had not heard the recording before, I wanted to have a fresh ear when I saw it, and after I was listening to it in the car with my sister and that part came on and I was surprised because it was not in the show and I thought maybe his mic wasn't working but we were really close and would have been able to hear it. I am really disappointed about it, and was wondering if it was just that performance, I guess it was, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen it. The father left, and then the "boyfriend" came on and waved around the little green bottle of elixar but he didn't say anything, and next thing she was giving birth. It was a bit confusing until the end, which did make sense, since he just didn't sing the part but the actions were there. I would say maybe I missed it but my sister was right there and she didn't hear it either. We are seeing it again Feb 8th, so hopefully that time they will include it.

Updated On: 1/21/06 at 10:14 AM

bwaylover86
#7re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 10:25am

Has anyone else seen the show when the wizard did not sing that part? I think we saw it with an understudy, maybe he forgot although that would be highly unlikely I would think.

mijofly19
#8re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 10:35am

Did you see it Jan. 9 2006? That was a Monday and Wicked's dark on Mondays.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#9re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 10:45am

And wasn't Jan 9th, 2005 The infamous Idina redtrack suit date?

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#10re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:00am

Jan. 9 2006 was a Monday, 2005, was a green girl falling down a trap door

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#11re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:03am

I am sorry to be thread jacking, but who else thinks that Angela Lansbury would make an amazing Mme. Morrible

bigrab1018 Profile Photo
bigrab1018
#12re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:24am

Actually, Jan. 9, 2005 was supposed to be Idina's last...she fell through the trap door on Jan. 8th

"Billy, put down that phylactery...we're Episcopalian." - Spelling Bee

bwaylover86
#13re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:39am

Sorry not the 9th I saw it the 11th, the 9th was something else... oops lol I saw it the Wednesday matinee on the 11th, in 2006. Sorry about that.

ashley0139
#14re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:44am

You probably just missed it or forgot about it. Without knowing the show first, you can easily forget stuff you are not looking for.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

bwaylover86
#15re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 11:48am

I would think that too if my sister who knew the recording inside and out hadn't been right there next to me and did not hear it either. Seriously he just didn't sing it. That part is very obvious and you would have to be an idiot to miss it, its not like there are other things going on in the background, it was just them, so seriously he didn't sing it lol. I feel like I am crazy here, but I guess it was just that performance and that is all I wanted to know, I can't wait to see it again, and finally here them sing it on stage!

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#16re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:20pm

How could he not sing the line? Did the "mystery man" just not say anything when dancing with Elphaba's mother?

Have another drink, my dark eyed beauty.
I've got one more night left here in town.
Have another drink of green elixer
and we'll have ourselves a little mixer.
Have another little swallow little lady and follow me down.

The other lines wouldn't rhyme without it. Plus it wouldn't fit the music and the "mystery man's" sink into the floor would be ill timed. I don't understand.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#17re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:43pm

it ALWAYS shows this part........without it, her being green would make NO sense....DUH

you just missed it.

(oh my God, I posted on a Wicked thread........kill me now)

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 12:43 PM

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#18re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:57pm

Besides, it is not the "boyfriend" character that physically sings it... it is whoever is playing the Wizard that sings it (either from offstage or on a recording). Maybe there was a technical problem when you saw it.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#19re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 1:00pm

question: is this part taped? I always thought that the ensemble member who plays the Lover in that scene was just mouthing along to the track of the actual Wizard singing those lines. (Did that make sense?) Maybe the track messed up and didn't play?

I've never been at a Wicked where it wasn't sung, though.

renthead2
#20re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 1:00pm

okay i have a wicked question/comment. I love the soundtrack and stuff but I am so sad that they cut out a song. I really liked the song that nessa sings when she can walk, and elphaba is there, and when nessa tells boq the news, he says that he has to go back to glinda. Why would they cut out that song? I really liked that part, and nessa barely sings on the cast recording.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#21re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 1:07pm

Renthead2, the song had too many spoilers and Schwartz decided to cut it. That soundtrack is very quiet on its plot. No synopsis at all.

bwaylover86, I am pretty sure that track is recorded so maybe there was either a technical problem or you just missed it.

Elphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
#22re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 3:13pm

It seems to me that I just read this past week a post in which the person stated that he/she did not hear the line as well, that it was a mistake and the track was not cued properly. Yes, it's pre-recorded. I don't think bwaylover is lying here. I'll try searching for it.

bwaylover86
#23re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 3:35pm

JerseyGirl: It wasn't just the line he missed it was the whole part... I didn't realize it was pre-recorded so that must have been the problem.

Okay let me clarify maybe I am not saying this correctly. On the 11th of January, 2006 I saw the matinee of Wicked. When the Wizard comes in with Elphaba's mother, right after Glinda says "And like all other families, they had their secrets" or something like that, the Wizard was supossed to sing a few lines, and he didn't. He pulled out the bottle and then was lowered, and next thing the baby was being born. I DID NOT MISS IT and I'm getting tired of saying it lol there is no way I could have, because if I did so did my sister and everyone around us. I mean how could you miss those lines? There is absolutly nothing else going on to distract you, its very plain and simple. It did not play or was not sung depending on if its a track or not.

Here's another question: why would they use a recording? That really sucks, he should just sing it.

Elphaba: it showed it, but he did not say anything, so it did make sense, just it was not as clear since no sound came out.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#24re: I know, ANOTHER Wicked question
Posted: 1/21/06 at 4:37pm

Sounds like it was a technical gaffe then. Not sure why they record it though.

Videos