pixeltracker

Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?

Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?

jasobres
#0Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:01pm

"There's No Business Like Show Business" - mentions show business but not Broadway
"Give My Regards to Broadway" - mentions Broadway but not musical theatre or anything like that

Any other suggestions?

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#1re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:02pm

"I Am What I Am" is a real anthem for people living the Broadway life.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Emilia Profile Photo
Emilia
#2re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:04pm

It doesn't actually mention the word Broadway (as far as I know...) But 'One' from a chorus line for me is pretty anthem-ish, in emotion etc if not actual lyrical content

'It was six hours! I don't even like to have sex or eat bacon for six hours!' 'You are faboulous creatures each and every one'

jasobres
#3re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:08pm

I disagree about "One" because it's about a non-existant leading lady fronting a visible chorus line.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

erikaamato
#4re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:08pm

I'm old-fashioned here, but I love "Lullaby Of Broadway" (from 42nd Street.)

jasobres
#5re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:09pm

That's more like it. I was considering posting that as well.

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#6re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:20pm

I can see the kicking now, sorry maybe I have just watched the DVD for "broadway the american musical" one too many times.

Come a long, come on a long and listen to
the lullaby of broadway

mm mmm m mmmm mm.....(sings it happily off into the sunset)

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#7re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:22pm

Well I would have gone w/ the obvious answers...No Business Like Show Business and Lullaby of Broadway.

If you're looking at Chorus Line though, I never saw the show, but isn't What I Did For Love supposed to be about what all these people did to dance, to be on broadway(not the stupid thing in the movie).

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

jasobres
#9re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:28pm

Why? How does the movie interpret it?

suchclumsytime
#10re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:28pm

I also second "Lullaby of Broadway," or even "42nd Street," though that one might be a bit more of a stretch. Or maybe not...since we're talking about a Broadway anthem rather than all things theatrical.

But if you kiss me,
If we touch,
Warning's fair:
I don't care
Very much

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#11re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:31pm

Add my vote to "The Lullaby of Broadway"

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#12re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:32pm

What about "Broadway Baby?"

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#13re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:33pm

What about "On Broadway" from Smokey Joe's?

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#14re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:44pm

Jason, the movie turns it into a song just for Cassie, and commenting on her relationship w/ the director. Stupid.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

nomdeplume
#15re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:11pm

"How you gonna make some time
When all you got is one thin dime?
And one thin dime won't even shine your shoes..."

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#16re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:19pm

I think I am what I am is the clear choice because is symbolises how in theater we accept everything.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#17re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:31pm

"Give My Regards to Broadway"
"No Business Like Show business"
"Broadway Baby"

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#18re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:34pm

"Lullaby of Broadway" has my vote

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

*MuSiCaLs_FaN* Profile Photo
*MuSiCaLs_FaN*
#19re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:37pm

quote:

'why? how does the movie interpret it?'

in the movie Cassie sings the song after her confrontation with Zach and the 'Music In The Mirror' scene (altho in the movie it's a new song called 'Let Me Dance For You') while the others are doing the 'Tap Combination' where as in the stage show it's sung by Morales and Company in the scene after Paul falls and they all discuss with Zach what they would do if they couldn't dance. The movie changes the WHOLE meaning of the song with it beig ficused on Cassie and Zach's relationship rather than the original focus of being a performer and doing anything for your craft!

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#20re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:39pm

"Applause, Applause"

"What is it that we're living for? Applause! Applause!
Nothing I know brings on the glow like sweet applause.
You're thinking you're through, that nobody cares...
Then suddenly you here it starting.
And all at once you know again what life is for!
Trumpets all sing, life seems to sing...
And youre the king of it all 'cause
You've had a tast of, the sound that says love..
Applause, Applause, Applause!"

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#21re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 4:36pm

I think the best ones have already been said: Applause, Broadway Baby, What I Did For Love, Give My Regards to Broadway, Lullaby of Broadway and There's No Business Like Show Business. Also, although this is more for Manhattan than Broadway, "New York, New York" from New York, New York.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#22re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 4:57pm

Music of the Night would be a good one.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#23re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 6:31pm

I'm Still Here - FOLLIES - nothing is truer!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#24re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 6:34pm

Lullaby of Broadway
What I Did for Love

ByMySide25
#25re: Poll: What is the *real* anthem of Broadway?
Posted: 1/22/06 at 6:35pm

My vote also goes to either "No Business Like Show Business" or "Lullaby of Broadway".

"Everybody has a different idea of love. One girl I know said, 'I knew he loved me when he didn't come in my mouth.'" ~ Andy Warhol

Videos