pixeltracker

Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?

Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#0Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:37pm

Searched the board and didn't find this topic, so I thought I'd post it.
I think Beauty and the Beast is much better done, with much more substance then the Lion King, and has some good new matierial, unlike the Lion King, where the New matierial sucks.

Thoughts!

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#1re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:39pm

I wouldn't say the new material sucks.

I enjoyed TLK for what it was worth. Though it did seem like a showcase of African culture...and that sometimes stole away from the plot.

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#2re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:40pm

I was pretty bored with the new stuff, it seemed forced, like it was there only to have another song in the musical, whereas the stuff in Beauty and the Beast was done in a fashion that made it seem part of the story.

Keep your morals, I don't have time. Keep your lovers, I'm changing mine! -The Likes of Us

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#3re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:42pm

Lion King is better as a professional show and having pizazz, etc...

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

#4re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:47pm

I enjoyed TLK a lot more than what I enjoyed Beauty and the Beast

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#5re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:49pm

The Lion King is an artistically revolutionary piece of visual theatre. Beauty and the Beast is a 3D replica of the film with a couple of new songs to be spoken through.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

theatreboi11
#6re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:58pm

Neither!...except if I had to vote I would just pick Circle of Life...yup just that song....

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#7re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:59pm

lol theaterboi11

dotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
#8re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:04pm

Beauty and the Beast.

though maybe I'm biased. 'cause I already LOVED the movie.

I have to say the the Lion King made me want to fall asleep. I really loved the costumes...and the performers themselves were good...but it was just the material that really bored me.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#9re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:06pm

The new material in The Lion King is usually the only thing I listen to when I listen to the obcr. I love "Shadowland" and "They Live in You" especially.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

ALWrules Profile Photo
ALWrules
#10re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:18pm

I do like "They Live in You" but don't really like Shadowland, or Chow Down, or The Madness of King Scar, or the Morning Report.

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#11re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:24pm

Morning Report is from the original animated movie. Just cut.

Chow Down is fun - but the music is just out of place.

I love THEY LIVE IN YOU (REPRISE) (Rafiki).

And Shadowland is nice - great to have words that go with the theme music in the animated feature ("and where the journey may lead you...")

Of course, some of the music is right out of TLK 2 (I think They Live in You was from TLK 2).

I enjoy The Madness of King Scar - I believe that something of that nature was needed for the animated movie, but they decided not to have a song. Or I'm thinking of Aladdin...which had a deleted song for Jafar...

P.S. The best new villan song has been written for Ursula in THE LITTLE MERMAID. "All Good Things Must End"

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

starsprite
#12re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:27pm

I'll always be a Beauty and the Beast kind of girl.

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#13re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 11:49pm

Oh my gosh, I know I am bias, but please, TLK all the way. Beauty and the Beast is way on the child side of Disney musicals. TLK is in the middle. Anywho, I think the newer music is better in Lion King and as a whole is good, but I won't totally diss Beauty and the Beast because it is a fun kids musical.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

angelfoodkate Profile Photo
angelfoodkate
#14re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:33pm

Beauty and the Beast. hands down.

just tell maureen you forgot her cowbell because you were busy getting stoned. she'll understand.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#15re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:39pm

Ugh, I hated BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. I felt like I was watching Disney On Ice, only without the ice.

THE LION KING, all the way. I found the plot more appealing, and I liked how Julie Taymor made the impossible possible, while also bringing out the story's mythical elements.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

#16re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:48pm

Theatreboi11 took my response. I've seen both and in retrospect, really liked neither. I was significantly younger when I saw them and thought they were alright at the time, but listening to most of the music now makes me cringe or fall asleep. I suppose The Lion King would get my vote simply because it has the better score, but why these two musicals are still on Broadway baffles me (well, not really considering the widespread family appeal, but damn).

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#17re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:50pm

The Lion King. I think it is absolutely stunning musically and visually.

Whatever happened to class?

#18re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:25pm

Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite stories! I saw BATB and thought is was great, but I have no desire to see TLK.

#19re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:29pm

when did they add the "new material" in TLK?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:30pm

Beauty and the Beast is certainly less pretentious. If forced to sit through one of them, I’d choose Beauty, just for Ashman and Menken’s great score. Lion King is crap trying to disguise itself as art. Taymor is overrated. In my opinion, of course.

bwayondabrain
#21re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:59pm

lion king
i think its more creative, and i loved the new stuff (even more than the original songs and all)
i especially loved "shadowland"!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#22re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 8:07pm

All this talk of the new songs in Lion King and no one named my favorite one -- Endless Night! I think it's a GORGEOUS song.

I also think If I Can't Love Her and Me from Beauty and the Beast are great...

If forced to choose, I'd probably pick Beauty and the Beast.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

LaVieHilary Profile Photo
LaVieHilary
#23re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 8:40pm

Are you kidding???? Wow thats like trying to chose between food or water lol. I have seen both original touring casts and they were fomaninal (mental block on spelling) I would say TLK cuz the production and sets were just outstanding and the adaption made the movie look terrible. B&B is great too and it has been running for a very long time, but TLK has a better culture aspect to it.

-------------------------
Light in the Piazza with Megan and Emi
"Girl you got money runnin' in yo bloodline."-Carl the Bartender

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#24re: Beauty and the Beast or Lion King?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 10:06pm

I like both.

But I adore Beauty and the Beast.

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

Videos