pixeltracker

High school's "Urinetown" offends NH prudes

High school's "Urinetown" offends NH prudes

teh_pretty Profile Photo
teh_pretty
#1re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:24pm

"It's centered around the right to pee."

'Cause it's not like people do it every day or anything.

Are the rights for Mamma Mia already out?

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#2re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:27pm

get over it, bitches!

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#3re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:29pm

They talk about editing some of the language in Urinetown, but actually, the show was intentionally written without profanity. "Pee" is about the worst of it. I can't imagine what is in the script that would need to be excised.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Gothampc
#4re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:33pm

"Hansalik's son has played piano for the spring musical during the past three years. He was "disgusted," Hansalik said, by some of "Urinetown's" lyrics."

This is funny on so many levels.

Mrs. Hansalik's son

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 03:33 PM

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#5re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:36pm

I was thinking the same thing...where is any language that would need to be edited out?? I just think people see the title "Urinetown" and freak out without even reading the script first. However, I can't take anyone serious who thinks Mamma Mia! and The Wiz are offensive. I guess they would also be opposed to a production of My Fair Lady because Higgins says "Damn!"

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#6re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:40pm

Ugh. I hate people. My former high school actually did Urinetown this fall and I know was having issues getting the ad money they normally do because of the title.

Seriously folks, grow some skin.

And good point Enjolras about My Fair Lady. I mean *gasp* we can't have our children hearing words that they hear everyday in the halls!

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#7re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:43pm

it's so ridiculous. Urine is the scientific word for it. it's not like the show is called "pisstown"

get a life

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#8re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:49pm

I taught high school theatre for five years so I have been there and it really annoys me. I could understand if the school was doing something that was meant to be offensive or a show that was too adult for high school...but other than an odd title there is really nothing bad about the show. Unless you are offended by some very mild bathroom humor!

When I directed Little Shop of Horrors I caught a little flak because of the language and because of the relationship between Orin and Audrey. The parents all loved the show, but it was the principal who had some reservations. A friend of mine was going to do a production of Oliver! at a junior high school, but it wasn't allowed because the uptight principal thought that the character of Nancy was too much of a whore.

About 10 years ago another school in the area was going to do A Chorus Line (which I thought was brave to begin with) but caught lots of flak because of the homosexual characters in the show and because of the song "Dance 10, Looks 3". The teacher caved in and cut one of the characters and the entire song. A local gay rights organization got wind of the changes and protested that the show should not be changed. Tams-Witmark was then notified and since the changes were not approved the rights to the show were pulled the day before opening night. I don't think they should have ever done the show to begin with knowing that parents would find some of the material offensive and obviously the teacher should never have cut anything without approval from the licensing organization. However, the real losers here were all the kids who had worked long and hard on the production only to have it cancelled on the eve of opening night.

Ok rant over....

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 03:49 PM

billygoatgirl300
#9re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:49pm

My school is doing Urinetown as the musical this year. Luckly not alot of people are offened buy it.

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2

Gothampc
#10re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 3:52pm

I wonder if they get the play on words:

you're in town

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#11re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:00pm

My school is doing Urinetown too. The only people who are upset with that are the ones who know that we got the rights to Chicago but that the club through which the musicals are performed went with Urinetown instead.

Whatever happened to class?

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#12re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:03pm

Not only does this sound like an episode of South Park, But this Hansalik lady sounds like she needs an enema.
This also reminds me of an old episode of "Room 222" where they were doing "Hair" and taking off their clothes.
The Pious, Hateful and Devout, Bluenose Puritans, PUKE!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#13re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:08pm

Mrs. Hansalik, I have three words for you:

Ass, Stick, Remove.

outovfashion07
#14re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:13pm

hmmmm... the rights to Mamma Mia are not out. They are concerned about pee but when it comes to the law they say "f*** that s***!"

Fosse76
#15re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:13pm

I wasn't aware Mamma Mia was available for performances by High Schools. That said, people will find offense in everything if they look hard enough. This is the price of living in a free society.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#16re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:35pm

God forbid they do Les Mis...there are prostitutes! And they might say "hell!" Gasp!

Seriously these dumb f*cks need to grow up and stop whining...the worst of the show...piss...piss piss piss who cares. And regarding the Wiz using those words...who cares? Those aren't nearly as vulgar as some other curses and are probably used in many shows! They said "damn" in 42nd Street...doesn't make it any less a family show! Oh well guess that leaves 42nd Street out for these people too. Picky picky picky.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

MarkCohen
#17re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:42pm

It disturbs and frustrates me when people judge Urinetown on its title. You wonder how quick they are to judge other things.

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#18re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:45pm

It's clever, witty, funny and highly symbolic.

Get over it!

People in my stupid state...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#19re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:54pm

Who wants to print out this thread and mail it to the school? re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Lenexajones Profile Photo
Lenexajones
#20re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:55pm

On New Year's Day I saw a local (Kansas City) production put on by high school students who began working on it on Monday and opened on Friday and not an eyebrow was raised. The local paper gave it a rave as well with no comment about the subject matter. So it plays well in the conservative heartland of America.

kate2
#21re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:11pm

if those people are offended by it... don't see it. it's that simple

IMissNYC Profile Photo
IMissNYC
#22re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:20pm

This is so frustrating to me. I direct high school theatre and really wanted to direct Urinetown this summer. I am having trouble getting my bosses to agree with it because they are afraid the name alone will offend people and look poorly displayed on a sign outside the building. I directed Grease last summer which I think is a whole lot more offensive than Urinetown and we sold out our entire run! People need to find more things to worry about!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#23re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:34pm

if those people are offended by it... don't see it. it's that simple

No, it's not. They're offended by what little they know of it. They aren't offended by the show so much as what they've gathered from an uneducated opinion.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SuddenlyTrey Profile Photo
SuddenlyTrey
#24re: High school's 'Urinetown' offends NH prudes
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:59pm

HAHA I am in a small Southern area, so this seems rather expected to my way of thought. I hate that people are so closed minded about things....
In the words of Zanna, Don't "If Musical Theatre doesn't take on serious issues, what will?" :)

"Jaime's convienced that the problems are mine. Jaime is probably doing just fine. And I'm still hurting."