pixeltracker

Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth

Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#0Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 2:03pm

What recordings did you dislike at first purchase but love years later?

For me: Mystery of Edwin Drood. Took me years to full appreciate this brilliant score. Now, I can't get enough of it.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#1re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 2:53pm

Hairspray

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#2re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 2:54pm

It is taking me alot to love The Light In Th Piazza. i really only LOVE the music in the context of the show.

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#3re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 2:57pm

It took me a long time to get into Little Shop of Horrors. I still think some of the songs are clunkers, but overall it has grown on me.

I also felt the same way at first with Wicked.

MarkCohen
#4re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 2:58pm

Most Sondheim recordings take some time to grow on me. Sweeney, Sunday, and Assassins are good examples.

broadwaygiant19122 Profile Photo
broadwaygiant19122
#5re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:12pm

A Little Night Music ..which is now quite possibly my fav Sondheim recording

and Hello Again...took awhile, thought Marie Christine was much easier to get into.

Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
#6re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:14pm

Mamma Mia. I saw it a few months ago and didn't really get into the music, but my little sister did. It's been a few months, but i'm starting to come around to liking it.

<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:16pm

YOu hadn't heard any Abba music before Mamma Mia?

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#8re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:16pm

Wicked took my about a month....i HATED it at first....Then, well just look at my name!

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#9re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:17pm

Floyd Collins took me a while to finally appreciate. I got it right after it was released originally..but didn't like it at first and I put it away. After I purchased and loved Guettel's Myths and Hymns CD about a year later, I pulled back out my Floyd Collins CD and then bgean to appreciate the music.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

cserannie
#10re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:19pm

Wild Party - off bway.

I couln't stand Julia Murney's voice. Can you believe that, 'cause frankly I can't.

Norbert Leo Butz quotes about John Lithgow: "He's really clumsy. One of the joys in life is to watch a great big huge man totally wipe out backstage. It takes John about three minutes to hit the floor. It's like watching a Great Sequoia falling gracelessly."

#11re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:21pm

I just bought Pacific Overtures. I've owned the original LP for years but have never given it a chance. Last week I decided to buy the most recent recording and give it a try.

Dramatic_Irony
#12re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:22pm

Well, more like a month, but Hair.

Also Light in the Piazza.

Grief does not expire like a candle or the beacon on a lighthouse. It simply changes temperature. -Nocturne

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:23pm

I love Pacific Overtures Chita, but I hate the revival recording. The reduced orchestrations and some blad performances don't do justice to the great score.

Chrysanthemum62001
#14re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:25pm

Of all shows, Sweeney Todd. Several years ago when the concert version was aired on tv, I watched only a little bit of it before I shut the tv off. "This is CRAZY!" I said. And quite a few years laters, I really got into it.

I guess Assassins too. My friend lent me the cd, and I was like "how on earth could anyone like this musical? it's BORING!" Then I made myself go see the "revival" thinking I was going to be bored out of my mind. But it had a phenominal cast, and it was Studio 54, and I needed to braoden my horizens etc. I absolutely fell in love with the show. It was so clever, yet so entertaining at the same time. Every moment and every song was gripping. I guess it was then that I finally started to "get" Sondheim.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#15re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 3:50pm

When Pigs Ply

Pacific Overtures

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#16re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 4:06pm

Pacific Overtures

ashley0139
#17re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 5:04pm

I couln't stand Julia Murney's voice. Can you believe that, 'cause frankly I can't.

Kind of beside the point, but you are the only other person I have ever heard that didn't care for Julia's voice. It's just not my cup of tea.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#18re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 5:10pm

Someone gave me the OBC of Company five years ago. I took it out during the opening number. I found the CD again last month while I was packing to move and put it in. Now, I can't get enough of it. I've been singing City of Strangers in my head all afternoon.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#19re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 5:13pm

The Last Five Years

I guess I just didn't have the patience for it a few years back. Now I can't stop loving Jason Robert Brown.

MarkCohen
#20re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 5:36pm

Kind of beside the point, but you are the only other person I have ever heard that didn't care for Julia's voice. It's just not my cup of tea.

It still bothers me a lot. It's just the rapid and odd vibrato.

tagiunagi
#21re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 6:12pm

I can't stand Julia's voice on The Wild Party either. I thought she was wonderful in Lennon, but her vibrato drives me nuts. Julia's vibrato really could turn back time. I'm curious to see what people will think of her as Elphaba. I really can't say I'd be excited to hear her sing "Defying Gravity."

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

#22re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 6:18pm

I don't mean to pile on the Julia hate, but I'm not a fan of her voice either. To be fair, I've only heard her in the Chess benefit. Her vibrato drives me up a wall.

Anyway, I'd probably say the Chicago revival recording took me a while to like. I still wouldn't say that I love it, but I absolutely hated it for a long time.

TheEnchantedHunter
#23re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 6:20pm

Listen to anything long enough and you will learn to "love" it, even WOZZECK.

Marie
Frankfurt, Germany

YankeesFan175
#24re: Cast Recordings That Took You Years to Fall in Love WIth
Posted: 1/30/06 at 6:25pm

RENT took me a while. i loved seasons of love since the first time i heard it. but my aunt had given me a tape of it so i popped it in one day and it was all over the place so i couldnt really get into it. then i sat through it a few times and now i love it.

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

Videos