Once On This Island ????

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 7:24pm

Did anyone enjoy doing or seeing this show.

I'm auditioning for the show this weekend !!!!

Facebook...ME !!!

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#1re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 7:41pm

It is a truly beautiful show. I loved doing it!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

jlbpr00
#2re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 7:52pm

It's an awesome show. Great music and storytelling.

You know, ma'am, ? there's nothing I wouldn't do for you. ,If there was a monster or an ogre or anything bad like that wot was after you, I'd rip it apart with my bare fists, I would. - Sweeney Todd

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#3re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:34pm

I loved playing in the pit, and watching the show done in general. Very intelligent, and the music is wonderful!

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#4re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:38pm

It is such an awesome show. You'll fall in love with it! I loved performing in it and then later directing it.

Be the change you want in the world....

YankeesFan175
#5re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:42pm

It's an amazing show to watch, although I cant speak for being in the show. It seemed like the whole cast was having a lot of fun.

BREAK A LEG AT AUDITIONS!

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#6re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:49pm

you would have to be evil not to like this show.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:50pm

It's a pretty weak show...if it wasn't for the great score, the show would be a waste.

I was involved with a bad production, but I loved playing the score. It's a very fun show.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#8re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:51pm

I love this show, I saw it a few times, never performed in it however. Break a leg, it's a great show!

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#9re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:55pm

Okay, I'll take the other side. I hated it when I saw it. But then again I saw a High School production, and no one could really sing. Listening to the recording, it does have a good score. I actually will probably be doing the show in about year, so I hope it is fun to do. I will say I think the ending is dumb.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Jud Faginsky
#10re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 9:01pm

I loved the show. I saw it twice, once on a regular stage and once in the round. Both versions were excellent. The music is beautiful. The last song in the show, "Why We Tell the Story" is one of the most outstanding songs in theater. It really explains why actors act, why singers sing, and why audiences go see shows. Our lives are our stories. Our stories are our lives. It is very profound and beautiful. The end of the song "Waiting for Life to Begin" is another one of those amazing moments in theater. You can experience the feeling somewhat on the CD, but on stage it is spinetingling. Enjoy the audition.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#11re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 9:22pm

Didnt really like it. sorry! re: Once On This Island ????

IMissNYC Profile Photo
IMissNYC
#12re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 9:22pm

I loved this show when it was on broadway and I also loved directing it last year!

Gothampc
#13re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 9:24pm

I saw it on Broadway and loved it. I'd love to see an off-Broadway revival.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#14re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 9:35pm

I love this show. I'll admit it isn't my favorite show to watch (definately in top ten though), but it was the best show I ever performed in, it was so much fun, and just amazing. I would love if this was revived somehow.

#15re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 9:37pm

Go to www.baltimore.broadwayworld.com to see reviews of the wonderful Center Stage production in Baltimore starring Trisha Jeffrey (Broadway's Little Shop of Horrors and All Shook Up).

It is wonderful!!

Switz78 Profile Photo
Switz78
#16re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:06pm

the ending is dumb? please tell me you are kidding. it's based on a people's religious beliefs and has a very strong message. Maybe you just saw a bad production. (I hope)
I had a blast doing this show way back in 94. It was my very first lead role way back in high school. I played Mama Euralie. God I'm old now. Funny side note- at the time I couldn't hit the low f in the Timoune song when Mama sings "who knows how high those mountains CLIMB" and I had to stay on the same note. Ridiculous but I was a 15 yr old 1st soprano who had never sung alto in her life.

Break a leg at auditions!

Jon
#17re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:44pm

I love this show - except when done by a cast of white teenagers.

MaryMac Profile Photo
MaryMac
#18re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:01am

SOOOO much fun. I was Andrea back in 03 at my high school and it was a blast to sing and dance too. The gods were in full body paint and looked pretty creepy. "We Dance" is the only song i have ever heard that had a bell rhythem to it, and that is awsome. We also included songs that were cut fromt he broadway version that were performed in the london cast, "Come Down From the Tree" and "When Daniel Marries Me". I still get chills listening to it!!

lilprima2b Profile Photo
lilprima2b
#19re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:22am

I haaaaaate this show. My school did it this year and the only reason I wasn't ridiculously bitter that I didn't get cast was because I hate it with such a fiery passion. Ahrens and Flaherty... ergh.

"Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!"

downtowndiva84
#20re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:23am

SO much fun. I did it in college and am really grateful that I had the opportunity, as I'm waaay too white to be cast in any professional production of it.

The songs are beautiful and exciting..there's a great Caribbean feel, and I love the story too. Some people think it's cheesy but i think it's an incredibly beautiful message. I still get choked up during "Why We Tell The Story".

Coin operated boy All the other real ones that I destroy Cannot hold a candle to my new boy and I'll Never let him go and I'll never be alone Not with my coin-operated boy

ashers2u Profile Photo
ashers2u
#21re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:39am

im SOOOO obsessed with this show

"we dance to the eaaaaarth! we dance to the water!"

omg love it....everyone seriously listen to the soundtrack, it's great!

I was lost 'til I heard the drums, then I found my way

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#22re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/14/06 at 1:04am

Jon, I totally agree!

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Katt
#23re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/14/06 at 2:57am

I love this show. My school did it a few years ago. I'd love to see it again.

Jon
#24re: Once On This Island ????
Posted: 2/14/06 at 7:02am

Soundtrack??? There's a movie???