saddest broadway moments

livelife
#0saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 4:31am

times you've cried?

1) tell me its not true- blood brothers saw it in england- v sad!
2) The lion king- sorry but i did!
3) meeting eden espinosa and other wicked cast members! lol (:S)
4) wishing you were somehow here again - phantom, sandra joseph
5) masquerade/ending of phantom- howard mcgillin

tell me more, tell me more...how much dough did he spend?

tim10086 Profile Photo
tim10086
#1re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 4:43am

As soon as "Take my hand..." begins in the finale of Les Mis, I'm gone. Just that one moment...that harmony...they send me.

I will climb back up that mountain!

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#2re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 6:16am

i honestly don't think i've ever cried during a show, i egt so caught up sometimes i forget to breathe

but this is weird because i sobbed after the notebook and during the sisterhood of the travelling pants (how pathetic!)

cate_w
#3re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 8:15am

I definitely cried at the end of Miss Saigon when Kim shoots herself...every time I saw it. Even when I'm just listening to the Cast recording.

Also, I always have happy tears at the end of the Secret Garden when Archibold tells Mary that he wants her to stay with them.

Magenta
#4re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 8:43am

'How could I know' from Secret Garden, 'Little Fall of Rain' and 'Gavroche's Death' from Les Mis.... hermmm... and 'Maybe this Time' from Cabaret. I dunno, 'M.T.T' moves me when I hear it.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#5re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 8:53am

Neil Patrick Harris singing I Don't Care Much made me cry.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#6re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 11:12am

Final show of All Shook Up.

kgee30
#7re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 11:56am

There is a moment in "Light in the Piazza" when Margaret is talking to her husband on the phone -- I can't remember the exact conversation -- but as he's speaking, she realizes how far apart they really are, that something fundamental between them has been lost. And Victoria Clark's face just kind of goes hollow as she listens, and she stares out into the audience with a look of such sadness and resignation, I started to sob. Quietly, but nevertheless. It was haunting.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#8re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:00pm

I am trying to remember that moment from Light in the Piazza. Mufasa's death in Lion King and "endless night" sometimes make me cry. I get goosebumps from Les Mis finale, possibly tears. Secret Garden at various times as well- "I Heard Someone Crying" etc. All Shook Up was happy tears. "For Good" from Wicked is very moving. Many more that I am forgetting.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:01pm

I actually lost it big time when Menzel and Chenoweth did "For Good". They were crying, I was crying, people around me were crying...

Just give the world Love.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#10re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:06pm

3) meeting eden espinosa and other wicked cast members! lol (:S)

I would think that would've made you happy...

I think that moment from Piazza is right before "Dividing Day." That made me cry too.
Also, "I'll Cover You (Reprise) from RENT,a dn that whole scene from Angel's funeral.
And, yes, "For Good" made me cry.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#11re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:34pm

Add me to the list of I'll Cover You (Reprise) from RENT.

Also, this doesn't really count because it's a movie, but the Wicked Little Town Reprise in the Hedwig movie is always quite moving. And hot.

jasobres
#12re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:36pm

Me too.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

jimnysf
#13re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 12:57pm

Almost every second of "Lestat". I wanted to cry because I spent $100 to see it.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Chris T
#14re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 1:21pm

Not Broadway, but in Billy Elliot, when Billy and Mrs Wilkinson read/sing out his dead Mum's letter and especially at the end when Mrs W. says "She must have been a very special woman" and Billy replies "No, she was just me mam".

Updated On: 2/14/06 at 01:21 PM

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#15re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 1:22pm

There are SO many, I'll probably post on this thread a billion times.

But, for right now, as I head off to another sad moment (my Intro to Computer Applications class)...

In Rent, during "Without You", when Angel finally stops coughing enough for Collins to climb into bed next to him--only to have Angel jump up in another coughing fit, and all Collins can do is simply be there for him.

Every time. It gets me every time.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

pab Profile Photo
pab
#16re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 1:47pm

When I saw Mel (Scary Spice) B play the role of Mimi in RENT.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#17re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 1:52pm

I thought the ending of the recent revival of Sweet Charity was so sad. I nearly cried.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#18re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 2:43pm

I don't think i've ever cried during a show, but I have gotten a little choked up at the end of the Miss Saigon. Between the mournful music and everything, it kinda gets me.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

dramatothemax Profile Photo
dramatothemax
#19re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 2:44pm

Somethings are Meant to Be from Little Women. The expression on Sutton's face when Megan sings the "let me go now" line. I was bawling. The entire show. I had to share a box of tissues with the lady sitting next to me.

I miss that show terribly.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#20re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 3:51pm

- THE ultimate tear jerker - Miss Saigon! Kim singing "Sun and Moon Reprise" as a solo, when both get separated during the "Fall of Saigon," and when she comits suicide at the end while "Sun and Moon" plays in the background.
- Wicked - When both leads bid farewell to each other in "For Good."
- Les Miserables - Eponine and Marius singing "Little Fall of Rain" and Finale - Fantine and Eponine taking JVJ away.
- Color Purple - Celie singing "What About Love" reprise to Shug and the reunion at the end.
- Cabaret - The emcee singing "I Don't Care Much."
- Gypsy - Rose singing "Small World" reprise, the break-up song and her finale.
- Scarlet Pimpernel - Marguerite singing "When I Look At You" to Percy. Wow, this song just breaks me to pieces.
- Beauty and the Beast - I know...weird huh? It's when Beast dies at the end. The Broadway one I saw wasn't as good as the tour.
- The Producers - The Broadway production with Steven Weber - I cried bec. I paid too much for the ticket. I wanted to leave before the intermission but was too embarassed to get attention from the fans and the actors. I was seated 3rd row center. :)

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 2/14/06 at 03:51 PM

#21re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 4:01pm

I cry at the end of every show I love, because I'm sorry it's over and that I have to leave the theatre and go back into the real world.

hypertruffle
#22re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 4:04pm

I would automatically say 'Gliding' and 'Make Them Hear You' from Ragtime, but I saw that at the Paper Mill.

Since we're speaking about broadway....hmmm...

Call me a heartless b*tch, I can't think of one Broadway production that moved me to tears.

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

ThE nEw KiD Profile Photo
ThE nEw KiD
#23re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 4:08pm

Three productions:

Carousel with Patrick Wilson

Floyd Collins with Bryce Ryness as Floyd

Bare- Off Broadway NY cast

justagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
#24re: saddest broadway moments
Posted: 2/14/06 at 4:16pm

*The entire second act of Les Miserables.
*Some Things Are Meant to Be in Little Women...my sisters, my mother and I all lost it.
*The end of Beauty and the Beast...I cry every time in the movie, so naturally I sobbed when I saw the show.
*The end of West Side Story...I was younger and hardly into theatre at all, but I remember crying a LOT.

Honorable mention to Sweet Charity...I didn't cry, but my dad did. Whether he's just a woman or if it really was sad, I'll never know. But still.

Videos