Thoughts on Spamalot

Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
#0Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/14/06 at 10:18pm

The Fine Arts department at my school is going to see this show in the spring. We have about 100 spots reserved, so I'm wondering if I should go or not. Let me know what you thought of it so I know if I should see it or not.

<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#1re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/14/06 at 10:29pm

I saw it tonight, liked it. How much are they charging you? If it's not too expensive for you, go.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Ladyofthe Lake Profile Photo
Ladyofthe Lake
#2re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/14/06 at 10:32pm

Some people love it, and some hate it. Some say you have to be a Monty Python fan to enjoy it, others say you don't, and still others maintain that you're better off not being a Monty Python fan (personally, I'm in the "not a Monty Python fan, but loved the show" camp). I don't usually trot out a "do a search" response, but really, in this case it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I will add that if you're concerned about who you see in the show, note that David Hyde Pierce and Hank Azaria will be leaving in early April (April 2nd, per stage door conversations with David and Hank, but I don't think it's been officially announced yet). Apparently Simon Russell Beale will be leaving sometime in April as well, although, as with David and Hank, there's been no offical announcement as yet about timing.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Broadway production; if you're talking about the tour, ignore the casting information I just gave you!
Updated On: 3/14/06 at 10:32 PM

Dancinqueen123
#3re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/14/06 at 10:35pm

Millie the cost is $99, but that pays for a ticket, bus fare into the city, and dinner at The Hard Rock Cafe. It is the tour that we're going to see. We're pretty close to Chicago.

Updated On: 3/14/06 at 10:35 PM

Dancinqueen123
#4re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/16/06 at 10:13pm

Please help me!!!!

*Bump*

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#5re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/16/06 at 10:45pm

go if you want, don't go if you don't. This is not a major life decision........what more do you want someone to say?

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Luckydave14
#6re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/16/06 at 11:13pm

I would say go. An experience at the theater is great no matter how the show is.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#7re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/16/06 at 11:22pm

Well, if you're just looking for someone to shove you in one direction or another, here I am to provide the push- Go for it. Have a blast. It's theater. It's dinner, a show... enjoy!

Scene. re: Thoughts on Spamalot

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#8re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 2:03am

A lot of people here don't particularly care for Spamalot, but it all goes down to your tastes. Go. It's a day at the theater, dinner and transportation included. And I agree with Luckydave...no matter how great the show is, it's still an experience.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#9re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 2:04am

I didn't care for SPAMALOT - one of the worst-best musical winners ever - but still, it's theatre. Many many people clearly love the show. I would definitely say go - otherwise, you'll regret it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Celestial Entropy Profile Photo
Celestial Entropy
#10re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 3:45am

If you "get" Monty Python, you will get the silliness that is Spamalot. If you don't know much about the Python line of humor, then know that you are in for a silly time at the theatre. I enjoyed it... but I'm a Python fan.

Is it worth $99? since it's covering your travel and dinner, as well, I say go for it. It's an evening at the theatre... I'll take that any day over a tv or sports program.

I've come this far with the truth of the heart. Deep down inside I think we're all the same. Try not to judge and never shame... I do believe people are good... they just want hope and respect... to be understood ~Melissa Etheridge

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#11re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 9:23am

Let me just tell you that I am NOT a Monty Python fan. I never have been, and never will be. I saw this show with the original cast, and came out wondering why in the hell I had wasted $100 and 2.5 hours of my life on this pointless show. The music could have been written by a 5 year old and the plotline was....nonexistent.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

OasisBroadway
#12re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 9:24am

Spamalot is an entertaining show, especially if you are a Monty Python fan. If you aren't, you may not find ALL of the jokes quite as funny. But it is a fun show. I don't think it is spectacular theater and I certainly don't think it should have won the Tony, but it's not terrible.

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#13re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 9:28am

I'm a Python fan who loathed Spamalot (this could be because I'm more of a theatre fan than I am a Monty Python fan and would rather have spent the money on a piece of good theatre, but whatever), actually, but I say go. It sounds like it'll be a fun experience and you might love the show. Spamalot's hard to pinpoint as to who's going to like it--there are Python fans who hate it, Python fans who love it, non-fans who love it, non-fans who hate it... I've been having trouble figuring out what the "Spamalot type" is.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#14re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 11:12am

Don't go. It's a juivenile, poorly written piece of s.h.i.t! Rent the movie, you'll have a better time.

#15re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 12:00pm

Consideirng it isn't a movie...

The best thing Monty Python did was

"Do you want some Spam?"

CJR
#16re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 12:30pm

I never have been, and never will be. I saw this show with the original cast, and came out wondering why in the hell I had wasted $100 and 2.5 hours of my life on this pointless show. The music could have been written by a 5 year old and the plotline was....nonexistent.

Those are the same feelings I had on Brooklyn (only I didnt pay for my ticket and thankfully, the show was only an hour and a half long)

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#17re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 1:19pm

It's a reasonable amount for dinner and theater, so GO! I myself love Spamalot, and recommend seeing it (at least after the show you'll know which camp you are in!)

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

changinandhow Profile Photo
changinandhow
#18re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 1:21pm

I say go...I don't consider myself a Monty Python fan, and I still found it hilarious. And any theatre experience is usually a good time!

Not a bad deal you've got going there price-wise, either.

guineamidget87
#19re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 1:53pm

I've seen the show 3 times, and I thought it was enjoyable, just not the best show I've ever seen. I saw it twice with Sara Ramirez and once with Lauren Kennedy, and in my opinion, Sara was MUCH more suited for the part. Kennedy was decent, I just didn't feel she was as funny as Ramirez. The music is ok at most, and a lot of the jokes are lame, but it's one of those big spectacle shows that we like to indulge in once in a while ; )I would say go, because even if most people here don't like it, you might!

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#20re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 2:19pm

Many people here are not Spamalot fans. I suspect this may be due to their (rightful) dismay at its beating "Piazza" for last year's best musical Tony.

It's not a classical piece of theatre, but it is hillarious (if you get the Python humor) and full of big sets, costumes, dancing girls and boys and it doesn't take itself seriously at all.

If this sounds like your spot of tea...then go for it. re: Thoughts on Spamalot

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#21re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 2:23pm

I loved it. Wish I had seen it when it opened. I missed Curry, and I adore him.
ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE.
re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Updated On: 3/17/06 at 02:23 PM

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#22re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 4:35pm

I did not like it. It was funny in parts. I did not like Christopher Seiber's role in it. Other friends loved it, a few thought it was stupid, like me. I had $125.00 seats.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

mad4music
#23re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 6:11pm

Is the show suited for a child audience as well as adult crowd? I know someone thinking about going to the show with the "family" (little kids and all) ...just wondering how suggestive or crude the humor gets and how appropriate you think it would be???

*(sry if this is considered threadjacking!)

beckie_nyc
#24re: Thoughts on Spamalot
Posted: 3/17/06 at 7:03pm

I've taken my six year old twice. She loved it. Some parts are really not appropriate for kids that age. However, I thought most of it went right over her head. Hope this helps.

That's the trouble with this song. It goes on and on and on.

Videos