Sacramento Music Circus

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#0Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 4/14/06 at 7:35pm

For those of you who have been to a Music Circus production, how would you rate it overall? I've seen pictures of the stage and it looks interesting. Is it just actors peforming on the round stage with very few props? Aida will be playing in July sometime and I was wondering if it's worth the drive up there and the money. Do they announce the cast beforehand?
Thanks!

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#1re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 4/14/06 at 7:50pm

I saw Douglas Sills in SHOW BOAT. But since it was in the round and under a tent, it should have been called NO BOAT. Can't say I'd ever go out of my way to see a show there again, but once was interesting... something like going to Dinner Theatre. You've got to try it once.

knows_too_much Profile Photo
knows_too_much
#2re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 4/14/06 at 7:52pm

If you've never been to Music Circus go it's a fun experience. The show quality varies GREATLY. It really depends on the director. I try to see a few every summer and have seen some of the worst shows of my life there but have also seen my favorite productions of Ragtime and Jesus Christ Superstar there(both had the same director). I put alot on the director because some shows litteraly a person comes out sings a song facing one way turns sing another verse turns finishes it's awful!!! Other times they really use the stage and the soace to there advantage and create amazing 360 degree images that enhace and bring the audience into the show. As for Cast announcements I'm not sure I never check and the sets can vary as much as the quality of the show.

PS. It is no longer under an actual tent they built a theater and the stage sound/lighting sytems are all better than they used to be.

I Wish... Madeline Kahn could have played the Witch in Into the Woods. She would have rocked!
Updated On: 4/14/06 at 07:52 PM

Cyndy Profile Photo
Cyndy
#3re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 4/14/06 at 8:20pm

I've enjoyed the shows that I've seen at Music Circus very much.

I seem to remember (but I'm not positive) that the leads are announced sometime before the single tickets go on sale. Singles go on sale May 15th this year.

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having." Henry Miller

badrice_15
#4re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 4/16/06 at 10:15pm

I've worked a Music Circus for the past few years as an intern and the put on great productions. (Some better then others) But their is no bad seat in the house and it's really interesting to see what new and different things they do with their round stage. But man this past year they were really pushing to the limits of the new theatre. they had these huge gigantic metal flys that surrounded the stage for WWS. (and trust me they were no fun to help put up and down). They have the same amount of props and set peices that any proscenium stage would use, just with out the big expensive back drops and two story sets. Recently with the new theatre they have been using their fly system to fly in doors and set peices to help show where the scene is. So come this summer and watch. You don't think you'll dissapointed. There is a sort of reality that theatre in the round brings to shows. and i just love it!
California Musicial Theatre

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#5re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 6/8/06 at 4:59am

Any news on the casting of the shows? I can't find anything on the website.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#6re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:56am

I've been to MC for several years, some years I subscribed, some years just picked the shows of my interest. As other have said, the productions varied greatly, but funny, I thought Ragtime was okay (not really suited for a round stage though) and JCS was horrible (it was like a HS production). Scarlet Pimpernel (Brad Little was Percy) was wonderful as well as the Pirates of Penzance (David Burnham was the lead!).

My complaints are that they tend to choose too many "classic" shows (b/c they sell tickets) and cast the same actors over and over again once they like them.

They used to announce the cast (principle) for each show before the single tickets went on sale, but I guess they are selling the subscription pretty good since last year, they may not have to depend on the single tickets, as they have not announced the cast. But I contacted them a few days ago and and was told that they would post/announce the cast soon.

I have tickets for AIDA (I've never seen this show) and Little Night (my favorite). Depending on the cast, I might see the Forum.

Since the tent now equips A/C, it's quite comfortable to see a show there. I think the ticket price could be lowered though, it's after all, summerstock musical!

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#7re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 6/8/06 at 11:15am

I've seen pretty much everything Music Circus has done in the past 13 or 14 years, plus a few individual shows when I was younger.

Overall, I'd rate their productions as very good. Like lite2shine, I also think they could be a little more adventurous in their choices of shows, but I honestly think they're slowly getting better about that. That's laregly a matter of audience taste, though, since the subscribers get to vote on the shows they want to see.

Casting can be the most uneven aspect of the company though. Sometimes casting skews a bit old for a role, and other times it can be very unconventional. But I've seen sun fun people there over the years who have gone on to bigger and better things since, like

Susan Egan in South Pacific (before Beauty & the Beast)
Gary Beach in Forum (before The Producers)
Douglas Sills in Secret Garden and Show Boat (before Scarlet Pimpernel)

There's also usually a chance to see some well-known Broadway actors here and there too, such as

Robert Cuccioli in Secret Garden
Ken Page in Guys & Dolls or CATS
Michael Gruber in Smokey Joe's Cafe
Jennifer Cody in Oklahoma

So, yeah...my point is that it's usually really fun, and I feel very lucky to have it in my town.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#8re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 6/8/06 at 11:24am

Max von Essen will not be back this summer. re: Sacramento Music Circus

As for other casting, nothing fantastic to announce. I haven't heard a whole lot, mostly people who have been there before but no huge names yet that I know of.

:)

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#9re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 6/8/06 at 12:35pm

I usually wait to see who is cast, as their choice of musicals (as others have said) are often pretty safe, and they tend to recycle shows every few years. However, what I have seen there has been enjoyable, ranging from excellent use of the space and excellent actors, to some sort of boggling "I'm spinning to face you all" perfomances and some really funky set/costuming ideas (the wolves in BATB with glowstick eyes).

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#10re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 6/8/06 at 2:17pm

I just learned that Will Chase will be in AIDA for MUNY production. I hope he'll come to Sacramento too!!

Mother's Younger Brother
#11re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 6/8/06 at 2:18pm

That's a good possiblity! Music Circus shares casting pretty often with companies who've recently produced the same show.

Anna_Elizabeth Profile Photo
Anna_Elizabeth
#12re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 6/8/06 at 4:17pm

Music Circus has to be one of the best summer stock companies, and is the only one I know of that can do theatre-in-the-round justice. I'm very picky in the shows I see, and haven't seen a bad one yet. It's just complete fun. I wait until the full cast is announced, usually a week before each production begins it's on their website, unless it's a show I really want to see.
Just be prepared for the running down the aisles with scenery and actors. It's also fun seeing actors and crew having a wonderful time.

mustard
#13re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:56pm

"Susan Egan in South Pacific (before Beauty & the Beast)
Gary Beach in Forum (before The Producers)"

"Ken Page in Guys & Dolls or CATS"

I worked there in the summer of 1993, and South Pacific had Susan Egan with Gary Beach (who was probably one of the nicest and funniest actors all summer) as Luther Billis. He was also Rooster in Annie that summer (and Marcia Lewis played Miss Hannigan plus Miss Lynch in Grease). We had Ken Page in Best Little Whorehouse and Man of La Mancha (Governor in both). Best Little Whorehouse also starred Adrienne Barbeau, Teri Ralston, and Alan Young. Lenny Wolpe was in My Fair Lady (Alfred Doolittle).

Carol Burnett came to a performance to see Gary Beach, sending all of us into a tizzy.

They've also used Paige O'Hara, Sam Harris, Joanne Worley, Rachel deBenedet, the amazing Walter Charles, Belle Calaway, Liz Larsen. They really attract good talent.

Updated On: 7/27/06 at 02:56 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#14re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 7/27/06 at 3:00pm

Stephanie J. Block did Damn Yankees and Bye Bye Birdie there. Haven't seen a show there myself but since you're discussing the kind of talent they attract I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.
Updated On: 7/27/06 at 03:00 PM

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#15re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 7/27/06 at 4:40pm

I'd love to see a production there. Its on my "To Do" List....

Mother's Younger Brother
#16re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 7/27/06 at 4:49pm

Just to add a few more notable names of the past to the list:

Douglas Sills in Show Boat and Secret Garden (pre-Scarlet Pimpernel)
Jennifer Cody as Ado Annie in Oklahoma.
Robert Cuccioli in Secret Garden
Gavin Creel as Hero in Forum... (pre-Millie)
Norm Lewis as El Gallo in The Fantasticks

Not to mention regional-theatre regulars like Paul Schoeffler, Judy McClane and Eric Kunze.

The most interesting casting this year (I think) is for A Little Night Music, with Paul Schoeffler as Frederick, Jim Poulos as Henrick, and Nancy Opel as Desiree.

There. How's that for a plug? :)

mustard
#17re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 7/27/06 at 8:21pm

Judy McLane! Yes. I saw her as Florence in Chess and Narrator in Joseph (the Sam Harris production).

Lots of locals who get jobs at Music Circus go on to Broadway (Rick Spaans, Jenifer Foote, Kate Levering, Courtney Glass, etc).
Updated On: 7/27/06 at 08:21 PM

Here_I_Go_Again
#18re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 7/27/06 at 9:29pm

last time i was there i had a blast... i think i saw a GREAT production of CATS then Ragtime which was AMAZING!!!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#19re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 1/2/07 at 10:11pm

New season confirmed: http://actorsequity.org/CastingCall/browse_notice.asp?NoticeID=10508&NoticeType=1

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 1/2/07 at 10:11 PM

WalkOn
#20re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 1/2/07 at 10:23pm

They never seem short of talented actors.. but I hear the productions themselves are pretty average.

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.
Updated On: 1/2/07 at 10:23 PM

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#21re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 1/2/07 at 10:31pm

I love Music Circus! I only live about twenty minutes from it, which is awesome.

I saw Smokey Joe's Cafe there a while ago, and really liked it. Everyone should see a show in arena staging at least once.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
Updated On: 1/2/07 at 10:31 PM

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#22re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 1/2/07 at 10:40pm

Only thing I've seen there was PIMPERNEL during summer 2004. I went primarily on a whim to see William Paul Michals, who wowed me on the tour several years earlier. I really thought it was a fine production and I love the creative staging they have to employ for the theatre in the round. It worked very well for SP (they set up the guillotine at the back of the aisle I was sitting at) but I feel that the space might be limiting when staging a lot of shows.

The talent was fine, but I was bound to be disappointed having only ever seen Doug Sills as Percy. Brad Little was OK but was running out of voice by the end pretty badly. Leah Hocking made a lovely Marguerite, but most of them do. Really the worst thing about that day was getting to Sacramento (from San Jose) and being in Sacramento during their especially oppressive summer heat.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#23re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 1/2/07 at 11:13pm

Well if Les Mis Revival closes in June, Norm still can make it for the rehearsal of Circular stage verison of Les Mis ;P

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#24re: Sacramento Music Circus
Posted: 1/2/07 at 11:23pm

I've always thought Chuck Cooper would be perfect as Javert. someday maybe

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Videos