Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight

JoeGillis
#0Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:46pm

I saw the touring cast of Rent recently, and I noticed that the choreography for Mimi while she is dancing on the bars was different particuarly when she pantomimes looking into a make up compact - has anyone else noticed this before? Sorry for the rant but shed some light as to who rocks up on the bars!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:47pm

Different from what, exactly? I've seen people do it before; some do, some don't.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#2re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:50pm

The "looking into the compact" move has been part of that routine since the beginning. Daphne used to do it.

JoeGillis
#3re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:52pm

Thanks Marquise - I guess my question is - is there standard choreography for this number or is it pretty much do your own thing using these basic elements?

erinrebecca
#4re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:52pm

I don't think I've ever seen a Mimi who did NOT do the 'compact' thing.

JoeGillis
#5re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:53pm

Karmine did not do it, Yasmine did not do it, Dominque does not do it . . .

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#6re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:54pm

The choreography in RENT isn't "rigid" so I guess it's one of those moves that is either 'done' or 'not done' depending on the individual that's performing in the role.

erinrebecca
#7re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 10:55pm

Joe, I've seen all three of those actors and have seen all of them do it.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#8re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/22/06 at 11:45pm

I must not have been paying attention because I don't remember Krystal Washington or Saycon Sengbloh doing it. Maybe they did.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 12:40am

I don't think I've ever seen a Mimi who did NOT do the 'compact' thing.

I'm pretty sure Sharon Leal didn't do it -- at least when I saw her on the Angel tour.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Kringas
#10re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 12:41am

I don't remember Marcy Harriell doing it, either.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#11re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 12:49am

Krystal did it when I saw her.

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

FabalaYero85
#12re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 12:51am

the current Bway Mimi, Antonique does it.

It seems that it depends on what the actress prefers. I think its kind of cheesy

hmm...

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#13re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 12:51am

There are some things that I've seen some Mimis do and others not, like the part where they hit their arm like they're finding a vein to shoot up or whatever.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#14re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 3:38am

I think the only things that are set in stone as far as choreography for that song are the details on when to move on or off the bars. I would guess that anything else Mimi does is totally up to the actress.

Like from what I heard Simone had some fear of heights and didn't even get ON the bars.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

erinrebecca
#15re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 9:37am

jcm, the actors do not have the latitude that you think they do with things like this, especially at the Neder. So, no, it isn't "totally up to the actress".

Simone did get on the bars.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#16re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 9:40am

Yeah, I am pretty sure Simone did get on the bars.

I think it is all based on something or other with the theatre and the actor themselves.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

bwaylover86 Profile Photo
bwaylover86
#17re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 10:12am

I saw RENT not too long ago with Karmine in for Antonique and maybe I was not paying that close attention but I do not remember her doing it- actually I don't rememeber the move really at all, maybe I haven't seen someone do it in a while- what part of the song does she usually do it?

I have seen (slight) variations during all of the numbers depending on the actor and perhaps their mood that day but nothing MAJOR.. I mean it could be that sometimes the actor gets so into the song that they forget / add little things, like the compact thing. I would say that RENT isn't the type of show you should walk in to expecting to see the same exact performance each time- the basics are there and will be similar but I don't think I have ever seen the exact same show twice unless MAYBE it was with the same actors.

"That boy could use some Prozac"

bwayondabrain
#18re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 10:13am

wow, id sure hate to fall off the bars...

ouch

Elphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
#19re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 12:33pm

Would someone explain what getting in for free has to do with the compact? Is it supposed to emphasize that she makes herself up in such a way that no one would dare to ask her to pay? Even so, I don't get the gesture in the context.

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#20re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 1:04pm

I thought it was mentioned somewhere on the board that Mimi's boots have a specially designed heel that "lock" onto the bars, making it safer than simply climbing up in any old shoes.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#21re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 1:13pm

"I thought it was mentioned somewhere on the board that Mimi's boots have a specially designed heel that "lock" onto the bars, making it safer than simply climbing up in any old shoes."

Doesn't mean it hasn't happend. I know Karmine's done it once, but it was during the part where she has to lay on the bars for the "feline of avenue b" line. Luckily she fell towards the back of the stage.

"jcm, the actors do not have the latitude that you think they do with things like this, especially at the Neder. So, no, it isn't "totally up to the actress""

I really didn't mean it to come off like that, I had originally written about all the specific parts of the dance that I'd seen them all do and realized that it would look like I put far too much time into watching that dance (which is true), so I changed it, haha.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

Cenoern
#22re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 2:12pm

Every Mimi I've ever seen (Dominique, Karmine, Krystal, Antonique) has done the compact. I've seen the choreography almost identically the same each time its performed, honestly - even down to the "christ mas da ay" cross.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#23re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 6:00pm

I have only seen the show twice--both times with Karmine Alers--and she did not do that move. I just watched eight different videos of different people performing that song (Yassmin Alers, Krystal Washington, Dominique Roy, Karmine Alers, Melanie B, Daphne and one other who didn't have a name listed) and half of them did that move while the other half did not. I also noticed countless other differences in their dances. Some subtle, others not. My take is that there seem to be certain key moves that they have to hit and others that are optional. But even the moves that they all seem to do, they all do slightly different. I guess they really allow for interpretation!

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#24re: Mimi's Dancing in Out Tonight
Posted: 4/23/06 at 6:38pm

Why in the movie do they say "new years day?" Is it because of the sequence of events is a tad different?