Favorite Stage Door Experiences

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#0Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/26/06 at 11:15pm

Post some of your favorite stage door stories. I'll post a few of mine later.
Updated On: 5/26/06 at 11:15 PM

NathanLaneStalker
#1re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/26/06 at 11:32pm

My first broadway show was in November (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) and I was kinda bumed that John Lithgow was sick that day. But the show was stil perfect!!!! So we (Me,mom,and my bro) were talking to the stage door manager and told him we`re from Mississippi. And he was very nice! So he said come here. We went around the bars and he let us go onstage and we got our pic onstage.....WITH GREG JBARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God that was cool! and meeting Harvey Fierstein after "Fiddler"!!! and I was the only one who got a picture with him! (Basicly for kissing his ass! "I LOVE Torch Song Trilogy and La Cage aux Folles! You were great in Hairspray! You deserved that Tony!" U know that kinda thing!)

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

jsrocks
#2re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 12:31am

My favorite is when I got to meet my favorite actor, John Slattery, at Rabbit Hole!! re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences He was so sweet and nice. It was cool b/c I got to talk w/ him before and after the play. It was an awesome day!!! re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences

"Michael's got a head like a Ping Pong Ball" -The Cast of Sweeney-

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#3re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 12:32am

mine was at Wicked, everyone was just so so friendly.

larry64
#4re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 12:35am

In 1980 I saw my first Broadway show, A Chorus Line at the Shubert. I was with a school group. We waited outside the stage door to see the cast and the actor playing Richie, Larry Bailey, invited us inside. He brought us onstage and I was hooked!

Updated On: 5/27/06 at 12:35 AM

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#5re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 12:49am

1) Andrea Martin hugging and kissing me because i loved her so much and because of my name.

2) Rachel York appologizing because she was late to the theatre when i tried to catch her before the Dessa Rose

3) Victoria Clark and Katie Clarke for just being themselves.

4) Bernadette because she is Bernadette!

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#6re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 12:54am

My favorite was just recentley when I saw Rent and took pictures with everybody. And then all the other RentHeads left and Tim Howar came out so then I got to talk to Tim with nobody else.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#7re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 1:29am

I saw Martin Guerre in Los Angeles. I wasn’t crazy about the show (the book had serious problems) and I somehow got caught up in a group of Martin Guerre fans. Anyway, we were talking to DC Anderson who played the Judge and I could tell he was really sad the show wasn’t transferring to Broadway, because he wanted a cast recording. Nice man; I felt bad for him, even though I didn’t like the show.

Meeting an understudy in person that I had written a letter to after seeing her go on as Cosette in Les Miz. She told me how much she appreciated the letter.

*edited to fix errors* Updated On: 5/27/06 at 01:29 AM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#8re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 1:57am

Stage-dooring The Pillowman for the first time was definitely my favorite experience. The four leads were so appreciative and humble, probably the nicest cast I've met in my theatre-going career.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#9re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 3:41am

Bernadette after a concert. I went to the concert for my 18th birthday and she was so nice to me and when my mom told her why we were there she asked me when my birthday was and talked to me for a few minutes.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#10re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 7:11am

Met Terrence Mann and got his autograph even before I knew how famous he was

going to see DRS for the seventh time with my best friend (her first) who didn't believe I knew Greg Jbara until he came over and hugged me and I introduced them.

Having Sherie REnee Scott sign the DRS money at the stage door and say "Is this legal?"

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

WiiCKED x3
#11re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 7:49am

Talking to Greg Jbara at the stage door.
That was a fun expierance. He's such a nice guy.

When I went to see Fiddler On The Roof Harvey Fierstein and I were talking about how great he was in Hairspray. He kept thanking me. He's also really nice.

Then the next time I saw Fiddler, he was like: "Didn't I just see you last week?" Updated On: 5/27/06 at 07:49 AM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#12re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 8:27am

When I saw Sweeney Todd for the first time. Evryone their was so nice and friendly.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#13re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 8:38am

Carolee Carmello after Lestat and Donna Lynne Champlin after Sweeney. Nicest leading ladies on broadway!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#14re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 8:51am

Megan Hilty everytime, the woman is a saint.

Maria Friedman was awesome and took a lot of time to talk to C and I.

George Hearn broke C's camera after we were told that he doesn't use the stage door by the manager. Then the manager looks at us and points. He let us meet and talk to him. That was awesome!

Edward Hibbert (Underling) in TDC laughed at me after I was talking to C and mentioned, in context of course, "That's pure vodka you poop!"

Marc Kudisch holding my Assassins cd and saying "This (pointing to cd) is much better than this (pointing to chitty's stage door.) He hated that show! lol

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

#15re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 9:00am

Look to the left to see Mary Martin leaving the stage door of the ANTA Theatre after a performance of The Skin of Our Teeth. She had been wonderful as Sabina and exuded all her Texas charm when we chatted after I took the picture.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#16re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 9:04am

1) After the last night of Mamma Mia in HK. Cuz I saw the show twice before and the cast were just amazing! And I drew some cartoons for the leads. And Kelli Rhode (Sophie) was so happy, she kissed me!!!!.... on the cheeks! haha! And it was just amazing to see Australian musical diva Silvie Paladino and the ensemble was just so friendly, esp meeting one of my fav. actresses Helen Walsh!

2) After Mary Poppins and got to see ROsemary Ashe and Linzi Hateley! I saw Linzi so many times but missed her at the stagedoor everytime! And seeing her was like O--M--G!!! Anyone whose seen the show or any show with either one in it will have to say they steal everyshow they do!

3) Meeting Ruthie... simply amazing! She's one of the nicest performers... nonetheless the most talented!

4) Seeing Sienna Miller after As You Like It, cuz while waiting for her for 5 mins, I realise that Jude Law was standing beside me!!!!! I was like AHAHAHAHHAH JUDE LAW! Both were really nice!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

softershade Profile Photo
softershade
#17re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:04am

It was always a party at the Lennon stage door.

In July of 2004 I was at the Wicked stage door with a friend before we headed over to Broadway Barks. As we were getting ready to leave Joel Grey, who at the time was really sick and had been out for a while, just runs right past everyone wearing those green glasses from the show. Everyone was cheering for him to come out and so he just poked his head out of the door and made faces at everyone. It was hillarious.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#18re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:12am

Nathan Lane & Matthew Broderick after THE PRODUCERS/ODD COPUPLE
John Lithgow after DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
Adam Pascal after AIDA
The cast of PHANTOM

I have to agree with all those who have haad time with Greg Jbara. He is a gem and very sweet and talented. He asked to sign my program after he had already signed my PLAYBILL! :) Great guy.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 5/27/06 at 10:12 AM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#19re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:14am

haha, WickedGeek, that's really funny about Marc. I think they all had choice words at their moments, especially toward the end.

I... don't have a favorite. I've been so incredibly lucky, to use the cliché of all clichés. Though, I dunno, the time Adam Pascal kissed me was pretty special. re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences

A work of art is an invitation to love.

HughE2030 Profile Photo
HughE2030
#20re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:22am

Last week Ali McGraw. A women who was 9 months pregnant, told Ali she flew in just to see her show. She had tickets for July but changed them when she heard the show was closing. Ali asked when the women was due, and she said today and that she was having contractions every once in awhile, but she was flying back home the next day and she thought she could wait. Ali asked her if she knew anyone in NYC, and the women said no. Ali gave the women her number and said call me if you go into labor and I will make sure you get the best care available. I heard her give part of her number, then she wrote it on the women's playbill.

www.ConfessionsofaPaparazzi.com

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#21re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:27am

Brian Stokes Mitchell at Man of La Mancha

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#22re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 10:44am

Getting a backstage tour from Shannon Durig at Hairspray on my birthday last month. It was an amazing experience and I'll never forget it.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

ashley0139
#23re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 11:16am

I would probably say meeting Sutton Foster after Little Women. She was so nice and everything.

Meeting Paige Davis after Chicago also was really cool.

And, of course, everyone at Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was so nice. Especially Greg Jbara. Also, I didn't get to see Sherie because she didn't come out, so I went back before the matinee the next day and got to talk to her for a while. And she signed my DRS poster and L5Y cd.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Eileen2 Profile Photo
Eileen2
#24re: Favorite Stage Door Experiences
Posted: 5/27/06 at 11:47am

-After the finale of the Boy from Oz, huge crowds. When Hugh came out and the crowd started singing... "once before i go" from the show. It was a fitting end to the show, which was my first closing night performance (an incredible experience).

-After Chita Rivera's show when Dick Van Dyke was a guest star. Meeting him in person was a memorable experience.

-Meeting Tony Randall after he and Jack Klugman performed in the Sunshine Boys

-After a preview of Say Goodnight Gracie, went back down the alley to the stage door and got to chat with Frank Gorshin, who was smoking cigar and talk to him about his performance, George Burns, etc.