Under the Sea

Ready 2 Defy Gravity Profile Photo
Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#0Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:15pm

Does anybody know how the progress of the little mermaid is coming along?

NewYorkYankee2006 Profile Photo
NewYorkYankee2006
#1re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 2:00pm

Nope, not yet unfortunately. the current news that is out, is that there is a costume/movement lab for the upcoming show, in london this week from the 15th to the 22nd of June. i wish there was more news myself about it. i'm going crazy! (heehee)

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#2re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:52pm

I think this show could be really cool if it is done well.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#3re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:10pm

Yeah, it will be interesting to see, but I think it will be a big hit!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

NewYorkYankee2006
#4re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:43pm

I agree. I really can't wait for this show to come to broadway. if you had to choose, who would be your dream cast?

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#5re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:48pm

Bette Midler or Carole Shelley as Ursala
Matthew Morrison: As the Prince
Kerry Butler as Aerial
And Idina Menzel as the Beautiful Ursala

NewYorkYankee2006
#6re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:08pm

my ideal cast would be: -

ARIEL: Celia Keenan-Bolger
ERIC: Cheyenne Jackson (without a doubt. he has the look of Eric as well as being sexy!!!)
URSULA: Liz McCartney
TRITON: Tom Wopat
VANESSA: Jenna Leigh-Green

Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#7re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:37pm

Really, I've never heard of any of them except Jenna Leigh Green

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#8re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:40pm

I'm not sure about the leading roles, but for some of the featured roles:

Michael McGrath as Scuttle
Michael McElroy as Sebastian
Possibly Edward Hibbert as Grimsby

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 07:40 PM

tz0o
#9re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:16pm

Sara Ramrirez as Ursula!

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#10re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:18pm

ooo, sara thats a great idea. I'd like a black ursula... or me ^^

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

bwaybabe3
#11re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 8:21pm

ummm how about rosie o'donnel as ursula? I can just see her yelling pouuuuuuuuuuuuur unfoooooooortunate souuuuuuuuul... or however it goes...

mateo - is that japanese in your signature thingy? (sorry if I'm wrong...)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#12re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/13/06 at 9:31pm

Off topic but the Little Mermaid DVD is coming out in October - it's about time! I thought it wasn't for another couple of years. One of my favorite Disney movies when I was little!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#13re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/14/06 at 3:52am

Millie, I was wondering why it took them so long. It only relaunched the animated musical after thirty-odd years of dormancy. And yet, others that came after (such as BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, ALADDIN, THE LION KING, and POCAHONTAS) have already had their collector's edition DVD. I was getting antsy. This was my first Disney animated film -- and my favorite!

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

NewYorkYankee2006
#14re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:08pm

Does anyone know if anything from the show workshops will be on the special edition DVD coming out in october?

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#15re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/14/06 at 2:22pm

bwaybabe3- yes that is Japanese... it is a Japanese lyric of ACL, to the above english one.

I doubt the workshops will be shown on the dvd... but who knows it could be mentioned in a commentary or something.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

i<3jerseyboys Profile Photo
i<3jerseyboys
#16re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/14/06 at 5:16pm

i love the little mermaid!!!i really hope it comes to broadway that would be amazing,but how would they get it to look like they are under the sea?

babygiraffeboots Profile Photo
babygiraffeboots
#17re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/14/06 at 8:15pm

Considering that I think I am the little mermaid, I am quite excited; for the show and dvd.

"Without Jews, fags, and gypsies, there is no theatre!" ~Mel Brooks, To be or not to be

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#18re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/14/06 at 9:56pm

Nothing about this show would make me happier than Wayne Brady playing Sebastian.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#19re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/14/06 at 11:32pm

That would be awesome. I love Wayne Brady.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

NewYorkYankee2006
#20re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/15/06 at 2:16pm

i think corey reynolds will be quite cool as sabastian. does anybody know anymore news about the show and how they will be doing the underwater scenes on stage when the show comes to broadway?

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#21re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/15/06 at 3:04pm

The new music is pretty cool. It would have worked really well in the film. That said, it is for an animated film. These songs are not going to resonate with an audience in the way theatre music is supposed to.

I think my biggest disappointment with Tarzan the musical is that the show completely failed to engage the audience in its message. The whole reason the film was so special and a departure from the previous movies and book. It brought a whole new angle to the subject matter. Tarzan should have been amazing. It has everything a good musical needs: an outcast, a love triangle, heart, and hell there are apes!

After Tarzan it seems pretty clear Disney is going to be producing larger theme park attractions. Tarzan ROCKS! at Disney world was better IMO. It seems to me most of their properties would need complete overhauls in script and music departments. Mary Poppins is probably the best they will ever be able to accomplish. Hunchback was amazing, but Disney only take risks on shows that can sell plush toys during intermission.

Jon
#22re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/15/06 at 5:58pm

"No more recriminations
Just friendly crustaceans..."

OOPS - that's the Homer Simpson version...

StageGuy99 Profile Photo
StageGuy99
#23re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/16/06 at 1:44am

After Tarzan and On the Record, I'm a little worried about Mermaid.... We'll see though I guess... maybe they've learned from them and will wow us with LM... I would still love to see Hunchback get an English production.

"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but it is also the return of art to life." -Oscar Wilde

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#24re: Under the Sea
Posted: 6/16/06 at 1:01pm

personally I don't know how much better it will be than what is playing in Disney World.

Videos