pixeltracker

Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?

Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#0Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 12:24pm

I was just thinking about the social aspect of seeing theatre. I think awhile ago it was some sort of social activity. Is it still posible to meet people at shows? I don't mean like a hook up(only), but have you ever met anyone you still talk to at a Broadway show? Since your interest might be theatre, you might want to date or have friends that are into theatre as well.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#1re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 12:26pm

I have a few friends that I've met at the theater (who I still talk to)...never a boyfriend though.

muscle23ftl
#2re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 12:27pm

But did you meet them through friends or you were approached by a total stranger?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#3re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 12:27pm

Do you mean, make friends at Broadway shows, with people who you've never seen before? Or meet up with friends at shows. It's possible to do both. I've never really made friends that I keep in contact with at Bway shows, but I've made small talk with people before the show started, and I've had some pretty good conversations with other theatre-going people at the stage door.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#4re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 12:32pm

I've made some friends at shows. It usually happens when I go alone and you realize you might be sitting next to another single person. Since I am from out of town in NYC, often they are too (travelers, salespeople, etc.) so you can have a nice conversation, compare notes on the city and make friends. Usually it happens when I'm alone, although I've gone with friends who are very extroverted and talk to everyone, making many friends and even heading to bars as a group. I met a lovely older Southern woman next to me at Tarzan who was hoping for a Tarzan wardrobe malfunction. :) We still email.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

#5re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 12:47pm

The Sondheim Celebration a few years ago was great fun at meeting people, since many of us were doing the 3 shows in one weekend and came from all over the US. By intermission on the second day, groups started forming, conversations were happening, even at the hotel there were new friends being made, all sharing the same wonderful connection. Seeing the same folks later out at Dupont Circle or at the same restaurants, waving and saying hello, comparing notes, etc. added to the community feel.

Meeting/dating through the love of theater, i.e. BBW....that's a whole nother Oprah!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#6re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 2:38pm

I've never met a boyfriend at the theater. I really don't keep in contact with people I meet at Broadway shows.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Bohemian1232 Profile Photo
Bohemian1232
#7re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 2:41pm

I met one person at a theater related event a few months ago, and I'm still in regular contact with her.

"Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead."

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#8re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 2:49pm

it's a theater not singles bar =P

lol

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#9re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 2:54pm

i met a guy at a show. not really broadway though. i usually assume the person sitting next to me is a boring tourist and i run from them.

ooh! i did have some smarmy old dude try and pick me up at The History Boys, though. how apt!

curly120
#10re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 2:56pm

I love rush lines for this very reason. I almost always see plays by myself, but when you spend 2-4 hours waiting in line, you get to know the people around you who are also waiting in the line pretty well. So, when it comes to seeing the show later that night, I feel like I'm sitting with frieds in a way. And I have definately kept in touch with some of them which is nice.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 3:00pm

Tourists arent always boring, folky! :) I am a fun one. Don't lump us all together.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#12re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 3:07pm

I got a phone number in a rush line once.

And I've met lots of friends that way. Rush lines. AND inside theaters... I always strike up conversations with people around me.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#13re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 3:10pm

I do all the time. Some of them from this board.

Bettyboy, that happens to me frequently as well. I guess when you're seeing a show alone it's easier to meet people.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird
Updated On: 7/19/06 at 03:10 PM

Gpvegas
#14re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 3:25pm

I was at a performance of Spelling Bee and I was next to a woman that I knew I knew from somewhere but I could not place it. I told her I thought I knew her but could not place it. She said you are a theater fan and I replied yes. And she said, I am .... (Tony award winner). It clicked and I said yes that we it. SInce there was 25 minutes until show time we chatted and chatted along with a friend of hers. She invited me backstage and to dinner with her and her friend afterward. I still am in contact with her.

I love chatting with people at shows.

kate2
#15re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 3:53pm

I had a forty something guy flirting with me at the Hairspray lotto. I just ignored him, but he kept going until I looked at him and said "I'm 16". The other people there started laughing because it was so obvious that he was hitting on me. The guy blushed and walked away. I guess he didn't want to see the show after all.

Updated On: 7/19/06 at 03:53 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 5:34pm

We would be looking for couple in their mid 50's or early 60's

Oh well

Poster Emeritus

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#17re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 7:40pm

I've met a few...and I don't mean in the singles bar/personal ad way.

Last summer I ended up chatting with a wonderful older Australian woman who was sitting next to me in the front row at a matinee. We e-mail back and forth a great deal.

I also met a very good friend at the Lestat stage door. A young woman from California recognized me from a photo on Hugh Panaro's site and we got to chatting all the way back to Penn Station. We've kept in touch and she's moving to NYC next month...and splitting an apartment with one of my other friends.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#18re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 7:41pm

i always meet fun people, especially because most of the time i'm there by myself, but only once has the person actually become a friend...and funny enough, she is now one of my best friends! we met each other right after seeing "sweet charity". she was working as a nanny in westchester and we started talking and ended up becoming really great friends! we hung out and went to shows together every sunday until her year here was up and she went back to australia in march!

iluvtheatertrash
#19re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 7:47pm

I've made a lot of friends while seeing shows - especially lately at THE WEDDING SINGER. I've been in touch with LeaGirl for a while now. We didn't even realize we were from BWW, we just started talking about Laura and our love for the show and have become friends since and talk on the phone every now and then. Even saw LITTLE FISH together.

Also had a friend give my number to a cute boy who messaged me on myspace and we talk now. Nothing came of it as he lives kind of far away, but hey, we talk!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#20re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/19/06 at 9:33pm

I've certainly never had romantic relationships formed at a theatre (what are the odds with me being a straight girl?), but I have met friends...gradually, though. When I go to shows alone, I often start talking to people and say good-bye. But there are often times where I see the same people at shows, stage doors, concerts, etc and after a while we recognize each other and have since become friends...exchange e-mails, etc.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

muscle23ftl
#21re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:25pm

Haha!!! "I've certainly never had romantic relationships formed at a theatre (what are the odds with me being a straight girl?)"

That was too funny.

Rachel2789 Profile Photo
Rachel2789
#22re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:46pm

I'm from MA and don't get to NYC too often, but when I do I ususally try to chat with people around me (although I'm a straight girl too like wickedrentq, so nothing romantic ever comes of it, heh.). When I saw Altar Boyz last summer I got to talking with a girl a few years older than myself while in the rush line. She ended up sitting right behind me at the show and we had a nice chat about theater and college stuff up until the show started, and afterwards too until we got back to the hotel where I was staying and said goodbye. We exchanged e-mails though so that I could send her pictures we took with the actors after the show and stayed in touch for a bit through myspace as well.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#23re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:51pm

I think rushes and lottos have definitely been social for me. Occasionally I have chatted with someone nearby, but noone I have ever exchanged numbers with.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

muscle23ftl
#24re: Can you meet people while seeing Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/20/06 at 3:52pm

I had a nice chat with half of the line when i got standing room for Spamalot. I actually enjoyed the line more than the show. Great people to talk to! but, i didn't keep in touch.