LaChanze's vacation

Mattbrain
#0LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:04pm

Will LaChanze be out on August 11th 'cause that's when I'm seeing the show. I can't wait.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 12:07pm

Sorry to say, I don't think her attendance has been so good since the Tony win, so whether or not she is on vacation isn't really the issue.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#2re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 1:39pm

i feel like there should be some place online, maybe IBDB, that would say how many performances so and so actually played

JackiesBroJoe Profile Photo
JackiesBroJoe
#3re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:27pm

I have a contact in the box office -

LaChanze is scheduled to return tuesday, August 15th.

She has been doing 4-5 shows a week since she won. Updated On: 7/27/06 at 02:27 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#4re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:29pm

Thank G-d. I'm planning on rushing the matinee on the 16th.

Does she do matinees?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#5re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:41pm

It is sad she is doing so few shows i week. I mean i totally understand because it is such an emtional/singing role. But she was the show in my oppinion. So does she have certain days she regularly performs?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 2:51pm

Didn't I read somewhere that she has some illness the causes her to miss shows?

Just give the world Love.

Chanticleer148 Profile Photo
Chanticleer148
#7re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 4:57pm

I have people in a group seeing the show on July 27 and July 29. Does anyone know anything about these performances for LaChanze?

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#8re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 4:59pm

Do not be discouraged from seeing the show just because LaChanze isn't in. Kenita R. Miller, her standby, is a fantastic standby (saw her yesterday). "The Color Purple" has an incredibly high turn-over rate because the show destroys voices (from all the belting), so I'd prefer a fresh-voiced standby over someone burnt out. LaChanze will return, but she most likely does not perform Wednesday matinees.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#9re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/27/06 at 5:05pm

I wouldn't call LaChanze's voice burnt out.... she can still belt the **** out of it when she is in.

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#10re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 2:25am

Go Kenita! She's fantastic.

C is for Company
#11re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 2:31am

I saw Kenita like 2 days after the show opened. Went back last month to see LaChanze. Big difference.

Kenita was great, but after seeing LaChanze she just brought the emotional heights to a new level I did not imagine were even there. So deserving of her award. Kenita still did a sufficient job, but I hope you get to see La.

Mattbrain
#12re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 7:29am

So you're saying LaChanze won't be there but her understudy is just as good?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#13re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 9:19am

I'd say you have a 50% chance of seeing her...I hope she's in....she is fabulous!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#14re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 10:23am

I saw Kenita when the show first opened and she was fantastic! Not to worry, you're in good hands.

"Didn't I read somewhere that she has some illness the causes her to miss shows?"

You may be referring to the pre opening scare when she was too ill to perform the last preview when the critics arive.

I just hope it's not a Donna Murphy style illness.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#15re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 10:53am

Does anyone know when the theater usually posts that LaChanze is out? The Box Office told me that they won't give refunds or exchanges for her being out, so I will probably have to wait to get a ticket until after whatever time it's decided.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 7/28/06 at 10:53 AM

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#16re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 10:54am

*GRRRRR*
Not a fan of performers who miss lots of shows.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Luvinbroadway Profile Photo
Luvinbroadway
#17re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 11:02am

I saw The Color Purple three times. Once in previews and twice before the Tonys. I still haven't seen La Chanze...Kenita was fine each time. If I remember, the preview performance was the first time she performed the role...exciting night!

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#18re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 11:02am

Will she be out this Saturday night??? I'm planning on getting rush tickets.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:01pm

Kenita still did a sufficient job, but I hope you get to see La.

That made me giggle. Calling LaChanze "La". Cute. re: LaChanze's vacation

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#20re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:13pm

This really disheartens me. It's not as though she has some illness that requires her to take off 4-5 shows a week. Ever since she won the Tony she has been appearing less and less. I think that's very low and against many principals regarding the Tonys. The award is supposed to be an acknowledgement of a great performance from theatre peers, not a ticket to Easy Street.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#21re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:32pm

This really disheartens me. It's not as though she has some illness that requires her to take off 4-5 shows a week. Ever since she won the Tony she has been appearing less and less. I think that's very low and against many principals regarding the Tonys. The award is supposed to be an acknowledgement of a great performance from theatre peers, not a ticket to Easy Street.

How do you know she doesn't have an illness that prohibits her from performing an 8 show week right now? Just because she hasn't spilled to the media about her personal health issues doesn't mean nothing is going on. Don't assume.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#22re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:37pm

I agree, Wanna Be A Foster, that we shouldn't assume, but it just makes me sad to hear when she is not in because I think more people should be exposed to her as an actress to experience how incredible she is on stage. Luckily, both times I saw it, she was in. I will likely be at her final performance as well...whenever that is announced.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#23re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:42pm

In a funny coincidence, both this year's and last year's Best Actor and Actress Tony winners (La, JLY, Norbert, and Victoria Clark) have had long stretches in which they were not performing 8 times a week. Now, I know that the reasons have nothing to do with each other and that in at least some of the cases it was pre-planned. This statement isn't a reflection on any of the performers and doesn't "mean" anything in terms of a trend -- I just thought it was a funny coincidence that I wanted to share.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#24re: LaChanze's vacation
Posted: 7/28/06 at 12:47pm

While I agree that we shouldn't assume, Foster, from what I understand she has been missing performances for many weeks now. If she really had an illness of that long-term nature that was serious, A) we would have most likely heard about it because the box office would want to make it known to the public, and B) she wouldn't be doing as many performances as she is, she would be home getting well. But the fact that she is missing 4-5 performances a week, for the past few weeks, leads me to believe that serious illness is not the cause.

Videos