John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#0John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:06pm

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117947574&categoryID=15&cs=1

"The next project for last season's Broadway breakout talent, John Lloyd Young, might just be in TV. Young, who picked up a Tony in June for his Rialto debut playing Frankie Valli in Four Seasons biotuner "Jersey Boys," has signed a one-year talent holding deal with ABC/Touchstone Television"

Another Broadway star lost to Hollywood. Great.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 7/28/06 at 03:06 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#1re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:08pm

If he gets big, I'll be like I KNEW HIM FIRST!.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#2re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:08pm

This means he probably won't be extending his Jersey Boys contract.
Updated On: 7/28/06 at 03:08 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#3re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:11pm

I can't get the link but Congratulations to JLY!
re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Updated On: 7/29/06 at 03:11 PM

song_mage31
#4re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:11pm

anyone know what the rest of the article says?

and I take it this means he'll definitely be leaving Jersey Boys once his contract is up?

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#5re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:13pm

Another Broadway star lured away by the mystique of a TV contract. *sigh*

Well, since he's so talented and cute, I'll just have to wish him well!

thevolleyballer
#6re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:15pm

Okay, swipe out JLY and NLB now, and let Norbert come back to the stage!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#7re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:16pm

Don't swap anybody out! I want them both!! Grab a blowtorch and let's go burn some contracts. re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 7/28/06 at 03:16 PM

Fosse76
#8re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:17pm

But how many projects by Broadway personalities have ever really succeeded?? Of course there are those who have successfully crossed-over, but not many have become break-out tv stars. It remains to be seen if Jesse Tyler Fergesun's project will be successful (it has quite the Broadway line-up), so I wouldn't say JLY is lost to Hollywood just yet.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#9re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:18pm

Recently, not many, although with Idina's reviews in "Kiss the Dust", she could have a career there yet. Matthew Broderick seems to do well in both, and Justin Kirk as well.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#10re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:18pm

Laura Benanti's "Starved" never aired either.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

TennesseeTwang
#11re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:21pm

Even if he is lost to Hollywood, can you blame him?

Like any of us would turn down TV money if someone offered it to us.

song_mage31
#12re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:21pm

Agreed, Fosse but still...sad to think that he won't be in any other shows for a while.

Idina had film experience before Ask the Dust though...and she's come back to the stage, so who knows.

Luckydave14
#13re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:39pm

Actually "Starved" was aired on FX for a few episodes before being cancelled. I remember watching the first episode.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#14re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:45pm

More than a few episodes.. several.

And keep in mind - he has a deal with ABC - which is GREAT! But that doesn't mean he would or wouldn't extend his contract in Jersey Boys. It's a holding deal which means ABC had a year to come up with something for him or he can go to another network, or whatever. It's entirely possible that a) as exhausting as it would be, do both b) shoot a pilot and continue in the show until the show got picked up, or that ABC might not even find a viable project.

In other words - the tv deal doesn't mean anything in regards to Jersey Boys... YET...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#15re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 3:45pm

Congrats to JLY!

I hope he's well received - remember that Marissa Winokur won the Tony, and then crossed over to TV with "Stacked", which didn't do too well.

MarkK Profile Photo
MarkK
#16re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 4:01pm

If this is a “Holding Deal” financially it's a windfall, but it means he can't take any offers from anyone except ABC for 1 year. These deals are usually $200K.

These aren't always a good thing for actors – it limits them in some cases. Let’s say another Network or Studio wanted to hire JYL for a role this year or next.

They couldn't, not without ABC's sign-off. And it’s unlikely that they would let him out of the contract. These deals are sit and wait. They can be great, but they can make you miss out on other opportunities.

Updated On: 7/28/06 at 04:01 PM

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#17re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 4:10pm

I am truly happy for JLY if this works out. He is very talented and a sweetheart.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#18re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 4:40pm

It seems that he's skipping out on Jersey Boys awfully early... last show being October 1st. I know it's a diffucult role to sing, but it's so frustrating when the show's vehicles leave the show so early

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#19re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 4:58pm

I'm so happy for him. He deserves it and so much more.
Although, this Big Girl will cry.... when he leaves!
He is such a nice kid.

queenbee2
#20re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 5:19pm

Interesting news. Big congratulations to JLY. But while I simply LOVE him in Jersey, I'm having a hard time figuring out what kind of work he'd do on television. He's not really the sitcom type. Maybe he'll land a role like a new intern on ER or something. Whatever he does, good luck! He is so good in his current job.

thevolleyballer
#21re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 5:35pm

Ah, popular_elphie, I loved "Stacked" only because Marissa was on it. She was so fantastic -- she really could have a great career in television if she found the right show. Maybe another intern on Grey's Anatomy?

Sara Ramirez definitely has it working well for her on that show. I heard rumors that she's going to be a season regular next year, which would be fantastic for the Callie/George fans. She must be pretty important if she was the only non-regular in the final Denny/Izzie death scene during the season finale.

jerseyboyslover Profile Photo
jerseyboyslover
#22re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 5:37pm

Did anyone read the full article? it said he was leaving Oct. 1st.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Updated On: 7/28/06 at 05:37 PM

justafan2
#23re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 5:39pm

Craig---the article said that JLY's last day is October 1st---are they saying that because that's when his current contract ends or do they know that he's definitely leaving? (I want to see him once more---have tix for 10/24---sniff)

TennesseeTwang
#24re: John Lloyd Young Signs TV deal
Posted: 7/28/06 at 6:01pm

I was confused about the contract ending date listed in the article because on his website, he says that his contract runs out October 6, 2006.

Is the Variety date incorrect? I ask because JLY has said repeatedly to fans who ask, that 10/6/06 is when his contract ends.

http://www.johnlloydyoung.com/faq.htm

Updated On: 7/28/06 at 06:01 PM

Videos