pixeltracker

Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???

Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#0Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 12:48am

Ok, I totally stole the idea from JeremyKushnierFan.

I realized that most musicals I was excited about, I ended up hating. The ones I was expecting to hate, I loved them! Has this happened to you?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#1re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 12:52am

I thought I would hate "Jersey Boys", but found to be be a very pleasant, well executed show. Not the best musical of the year, but still pretty good.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#2re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 12:52am

Not me, but my sister thought Urinetown was going to be weird and stupid. But she came out of it loving it. We all loved it.

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#3re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 2:46am

I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed Dirty Rotten Scroundrels. I had assumed it would be entertaining and funny, but I am not that fond of the recent trend of movies to musicals. However, I loved every second of the show and thought it was amazing. It exceeded all of my expectations. I completely loved the show.

#4re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 3:10am

The Utter Glory of Morrissey Hall
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

SmeagolxIsxSexy Profile Photo
SmeagolxIsxSexy
#5re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 8:59am

The Wedding Singer, I was expecting it to be incredibly corny, but then I saw it and it was amazing! The music is great and of course the cast is amazing, specifically Stephen Lynch.

bwaylvsong
#6re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 9:11am

Spelling Bee.

I couldn't imagine a musical about a bee could be good, but it was hilarious, and I loved every second!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#7re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 9:17am

THE WEDDING SINGER... now if I just get the chance to actually SEE it re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Jyn326
#8re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 9:27am

Tarzan. I was with a tour group and they chose what musical we saw. Wasn't thrilled with the choice. But I enjoyed it. And my friend loved it- which was great because it was her first musical and I wanted her to understand why I love musicals.

Christoph
#9re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 9:31am

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Was dreading seeing it with a friend, as I had not been blown away by other kiddie fare like Beauty and the Beast and positively despised The Lion King. I ended up having a really fun time and was glad I went.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#10re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 10:20am

Miss Saigon.

I avoided it for years and then was pleasantly surprised. I liked it even better than Les Miz.

(I should note that I thought Les Miz was underwhelming when I first saw the OBC.)

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 10:23am

Mamma Mia for sure. I thought it was going to be fluff crap and got dragged, and maybe it is fluff actually, but I had a fantastic time and forgot all my cares for 2 hours. I think that theatre is supposed to do that on some level.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ThankstoPhantom
#12re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 10:33am

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang surprised me as a fun time at the theatre. I had been dreading the moment they would start the show...but I fell in love with it.

Also, Kiss me, Kate, surprised me...it is now one of my favorite Golden Age Musicals.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#13re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 10:36am

PUMP BOYS AND DINETTES

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

bwayondabrain
#14re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 10:50am

TARZAN, definitley. I heard so many bad things hear on the board about the show, and I was dreading going to it. But when I saw it, I really loved it- I thought it was great, and the best Disney show I've seen. My family loved it too, so yeah, I really liked TARZAN- I was pleasantly suprised, basically.
:)

BSoBW2
#15re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 11:06am

The Wedding Singer.

Did not care for the movie.
Nor the demos.
Thoroughly enjoyed the show.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#16re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 11:40am

All Shook Up. Saw it just for the hell of it and ended up really enjoying it more than i should have.

#17re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 11:50am

THE WEDDING SINGER!!

i deff did not have high expectations but i fell in love with it when i saw it!!! im deff obsessed now!! ahh, fav show!!

smiles Profile Photo
smiles
#18re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 2:07pm

2 years ago we took a class trip to NY and we were going to see Wicked. I was openly opposed to seeing it. At t he time I hated everything Oz -related. I even made a long list of reasons why we shouldn't go see it. But alas my complaining did nothing and we saw it anyway. I loved it, and I know not many people like wicked but i thought it was great. I fell in love with it after "what is this feeling". from that point on, I never judged a musical before I saw it.

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#19re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 2:11pm

TARZAN and The Color Purple surprised me and I left wanting to see both again and again and again. Conversely, I ended up disliking many shows I thought I would love.

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#20re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 2:11pm

42nd Street
Crazy For You
The Fantasticks
The Will Rogers Follies
Forever Plaid
Pump Boys and Dinnettes
Return to the Forbidden Planet
Once on This Island
City of Angels
The Beautiful Game
Jane Eyre
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Tommy

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Sant
#21re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 2:46pm

AVENUE Q.
I had heard some songs from it before I saw it and knew a little bit about it, but didn't know what exactly to expect when I finally went to see it. I guess I was expecting to see something more like "South Park" and had a little reservations for it being a "puppet show" - I thought THE LION KING was enough puppet show for me. But the show really astonished me with its humanity and its heart and its great score.

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#22re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 2:52pm

I badly underestimated Spelling Bee and DRS. Just as bwaylvsong said, I really didn't understand how a musical about a spelling bee could be so funny, but I loved it.

In general, I have a bad habit of underestimating a show, and usually I leave the theatre wanting to see it again.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#23re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 2:58pm

Sunset Boulevard
Dirty Rotten Scoundrles (sooo much funnier and genius than the film)
Scarlett Pimpernell (I was underwhelmed by Jekyll)
Miss Saigon (just like the above poster I loved it far more than Lez Mis)

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#24re: Musicals that turned out to be better then you thought ???
Posted: 8/15/06 at 2:59pm

DRS - I saw it the first time only because friends told me it was great, but I really had no desire to see it. I loved it!

I really, really wanted to like "Wedding Singer." And didn't. Bored. (I saw the pre-B'way Seattle run, so it might be different now).

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Videos