pixeltracker

Most Demanding Broadway Roles- Page 2

Most Demanding Broadway Roles

PaigeByPaige
#25re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 9/3/06 at 12:48pm

Jekyll & Hyde, both roles

All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#26re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 9/3/06 at 1:19pm

I'm sorry, but the Emcee in Cabaret is NOT a demanding role.

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

neddyfrank2
#27re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 8:00pm

Maria- The Sound of Music

Alfred2 Profile Photo
Alfred2
#28re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 8:01pm

I disagree.

I can only see the possibility of Maria being demanding in terms of the music.

I'll be home when the morning comes.

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#29re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 8:22pm

"I'm sorry, but the Emcee in Cabaret is NOT a demanding role"

What makes you say that?

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#30re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 9:32pm

princeton/rod- i tried running trough act one fully with a puppet on... for the ENTIRE first act that actor basically only leaves the stage for puppet changes

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

The White Half-Mask Profile Photo
The White Half-Mask
#31re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 10:45pm

There is obviously some personal bias here, but I think that the title character of The Phantom of the Opera is one of the most challenging male musical theatre roles ever. Vocally, emotionally, physically, it seems quite difficult, but still a great role to play. Plus, you have to sit perfectly still backstage for an hour to get your makeup done, and run up and down several flights of stairs in heavy costumes over the course of the show.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#32re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 10:48pm

caroline Caroline or Change

Trekkie2
#33re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 10:52pm

Leads in Movin' Out, and all 3 puppeteers in Avenue Q, and Collins in Rent.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#34re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 11:12pm

I would say Fosca takes the cake by far. Emotionally, it is impossibly hard, and vocally, I think it's definitley one of Sondheim's three hardest women. It is a crazy, crazy score.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#35re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 11:15pm

"Full Cast - LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA "

Wow, it must be hard to stroll around a set and sing every once in a while.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#36re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 11:34pm

"vocally, I think it's definitley one of Sondheim's three hardest women. It is a crazy, crazy score."

I agree, but who would you say are the other 2?

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#37re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/23/06 at 11:39pm

Max Bialystock. As Nathan Lane said, "that role was not meant for a human to play."

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#38re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 3:08am

You think you're quite the Phan, don't you White Half-Mask?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#39re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 5:39am

"and run up and down several flights of stairs in heavy costumes over the course of the show."

CRAP!!!

There are about 4 chorus members dressed as the phantom, that man is not running anywhere!!

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#40re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 5:45am

Mimi/Roger- RENT
Christine- POTO
Frederick- Pirates of Penzance
Caroline- Caroline, or Change
Jean Val Jean- Les Mis
Kim/ Chris- Miss Saigon
Peter Allen- The Boy From Oz
Full Cast- Movin' Out (dear god they have No break throughout that show)
Elphaba/Glinda- Wicked
Eva Peron- Evita
Mary- Mary Poppins

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

TickTickAdam
#41re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 12:22pm

Tevya

bwaylvsong
#42re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 12:50pm

Tevye
Evita
Don Q/ Cervantes
Christine (POTO)
Freddy (DRS)
Sweeney Todd
Lilli/ Kate (KM,K)

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#43re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 12:59pm

Narrator-Joseph
POTO-POTO
Jekyll =J&H
KIM-Saigon
EVA-EVITA
CHE-EVITA
JUDAS-SUPERSTAR

Those are the hardest vocally.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#44re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 1:08pm

Bobby from Crazy For You.

He's gotta dance exceptionally well, as well as sing songs that everyone knows and be charming. And make up some sort of accent.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#45re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 1:20pm

Tracy Turnblad in Haispray.

She's on stage 90% of the show. There is a video interview with Kealla Settle on 'that sight' where she talks about how busted up her body is after doing the tour, poor thing.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#46re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 1:34pm

Mama Rose in GYPSY, as many others have already mentioned. Even Ethel Merman, who was known as being calm, cool and collected on stage, used to sit in her dressing room during intermission, utterly exhausted with her head in her hands, awaiting the 2nd act with her demanding 11:00 number(Rose's Turn) still to come.

I also agree with Bobby in CRAZY FOR YOU. He is onstage almost the entire time. Harry Groener was just wonderful in that role--an under-rated actor/singer/dancer IMO. Where is he now?

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#47re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 1:57pm

Wow, I just looked up Harry Groener. Apparently he's been busy. He was in Spamalot (maybe he still is, it's unclear) at least sometime in 2006, he was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, lots of other TV shows, Assassins off-broadway in 2003, and several other things. I'm glad to see he's been doing lots of stuff. I love him on the Crazy For You CD.

JB Fan
#48re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 2:04pm

Fankie in Jersey Boys

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#49re: Most Demanding Broadway Roles
Posted: 11/24/06 at 10:30pm

Of course, "The Music and the Mirror" is an emotional, physical and vocal workout, but I've read several posts that list Cassie as demanding, and for those 7 or 8 minutes, of course it's demanding, but she doesn't have all that much to do the rest of the show. Compared to almost the entire score Madame Rose must sing (as an example) that's not too much.