Who will play Ariel?

bella cantato
#50re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:36am

celia celia celia!

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#51re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:40am

I vote for Deborah S. Craig. She is beaming with talent and would light up the stage as Ariel.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 9/7/06 at 12:40 AM

iheartamc10
#52re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:54am

Wow. This is an interesting thread. Kate Reinders and Eden are the last two people I pictured, but I agree-- that would be cool. Kerry Butler would be great!!!!!!!!!!

Any ideas who has workshoped it?

jimnysf
#53re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:56am

And, starring as Ariel:

re: Who will play Ariel?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Joshua488
#54re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:08am

It's all about Kerry Butler.

Wanna Be A Foster
#55re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:21am

Kerry Butler is 35. Ariel is 16. Don't get me wrong, I adore Kerry, but she's too old for a Disney teenager. It's different if you're playing the goth ice queen teenager (THE OPPOSITE OF SEX), which is a much more adult role in a much more adult show.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 9/7/06 at 01:21 AM

Ryguy7 Profile Photo
Ryguy7
#56re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:21am

I could see Kerry. She does have that Ariel kind of voice...I think? :)
RY

Luckydave14
#57re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:31am

Definately Kerry Butler or Celia.

OnMyWay Profile Photo
OnMyWay
#58re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:34am

I don't care how old Kerry is. I am voting for her.

"People that excel in the arts understand that the journey is the reward...the result an added bonus. Every day I act or train is a blessing and a dream come true. If Broadway beckons so be it. I have a personal definition of success that is unshakable by a possibly unobtainable goal." -HamletWasBipolar

jarred03
#59re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:47am

I don't understand your guys crazy fasination with age. It's not a movie, it's musical theatre. You won't be close enough to see wrinkles and aging. I'm not saying that Patti Lupone should do it but anybody under 40 will be eligible.

I personally think Kerri Butler would be great. I'd also like to vote for Kristin Chenoweth and Sarah Gettlefinger. I think any of these three would rock.

BTW, don't kill me for asking, but who is CELIA? What has she been in?

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#60re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:10am

Kerry Butler's too nasally. Yes, it's very very possible, but I don't know if Disney would want to bank on Kerry Butler being THEIR Ariel, you know? Celia Keenan-Bolger seems like the more likely choice. She's more youthful-looking and her voice is a lovely soprano.

HOW ABOUT KELLI O'HARA?!?! Haha. Let's get the Piazza girls back on stage!

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

defying_gravity2
#61re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:11am

I vote for Kerry or Eden. I think that either of them would be great.

Pillowpants. 'Nuff said.

jimnysf
#62re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 3:27am

How about some non-traditional casting?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.
Updated On: 9/7/06 at 03:27 AM

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#63re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 5:06am

I have to say, I'd actually really like to see Jenna Leigh Green in this role. She sings so beautifully, and we know she can act well. Just an idea.

Mary P x

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#64re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 5:06am

I LOVE Eden....So Eden all the way...

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#65re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:12am

Katie Clarke!

or Eden...

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

hortonhearsasam
#66re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:20am

Who said Celia wasn't pretty enough? I think she's beautiful, and perfect for this role!

SporkGoddess
#67re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:12am

Jodie Benson! Kidding...

I like the idea of Megan Hilty, actually.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#68re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:38am

Katie Clark or Rachel York....Rachel has a fabulous body to be swimming around the stage.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#69re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:50am

I like the Kate Reinders idea...but if not her, they should just cast an unknown who can sing and act and who really looks the part. THE LITTLE MERMAID will sell itself on the title alone...it does not need a star.

(please, not Katie Clarke though!)

Wanna Be A Foster
#70re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:36pm

-Kad

Updated On: 9/7/06 at 12:36 PM

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#71re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:56pm

I immediately thought of Laura Benanti when I saw this thread. I also think Kerry or Jessica Snow-Wilson would be great.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#72re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:05pm

although i think celia and jenna are both brilliant and beautiful performers, my vote is going to Kerry. Kerry's not old for her, she still looks like she's 27 years old. Besides, Kerry has the look and the beautiful voice. she's also slated into the workshop at the moment and also recorded the demo album, so i think she'd get the role first.

i would think celia and jenna could be standby-s or replacements if their not the 1st to be Ariel.

NewYorkYankee2006 Profile Photo
NewYorkYankee2006
#73re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 3:23pm

wat workshop has kerry been slated in at the moment? any news about cheyenne being cast as eric? my vote still goes for celia to be ariel as she would be perfect for the role.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#74re: Who will play Ariel?
Posted: 9/7/06 at 4:20pm

Kelli O'Hara would be the perfect girl for it.