NEIL PATRICK HARRIS "Official" Coming Out--People Magazine

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#1NEIL PATRICK HARRIS "Official" Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:22pm

For Immediate Release

Friday, November 3, 2006; 7:00 PM EST

PEOPLE EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris Comes Out

Harris tells PEOPLE, “I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest…”

(NEW YORK) -- Neil Patrick Harris is gay—and wants to quell recent reports that he had denied it. The actor tells PEOPLE exclusively:

“The public eye has always been kind to me and until recently I have been able to live a pretty normal life. Now it seems there is speculation and interest in my private life and relationships. So, rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love.”

Harris, 33, currently stars on the CBS comedy How I Met Your Mother. He shot to fame in 1989 at age 16 when he played a teen-prodigy doctor on the hit Doogie Howser, M.D. "It was a very fast but wonderful education," he told PEOPLE in 1998. After the show went off the air in 1993, he shook off his teen image with roles in the musicals Rent and Assassins and a wild turn as an unhinged version himself in the 2004 movie Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle.

"I'm enjoying my 30s," he told PEOPLE in 2004. "I feel like I know where I'm going. And I like where I'm going."

For more information, visit www.people.com

virgil blessing2 Profile Photo
virgil blessing2
#1re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:25pm

lolol. ahhh, YEAH, Neil PH. like we all didn't already KNOW. re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine LOL

"I am not 'a' Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns!!!"

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#2re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:27pm

We knew, but Peoria might not have!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:32pm

Peoria? They knew in outer space, c'mon.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

virgil blessing2 Profile Photo
virgil blessing2
#4re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:34pm

honey, they knew in UTAH. DOH!

"I am not 'a' Eunice Burns. I am THE Eunice Burns!!!"

FoscasBohemianDream
#5re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:34pm

I didn't know he was ever "in," but it is nice of him to dispel any rumors that he has been denying being gay. I am a major fan of his work and personally can't wait to see him back on the stage.

shesamarshmallow
#6re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:36pm

I love how everyone's reaction to TR Knight's was "I wonder how people will react to his straight character on Grey's Anatomy!" I wonder if How I Met Your Mother fans will react the same way to Neil Patrick Harris.

Good for him!

I do have to wonder at the timing. Not cynically, just why now? Is it because everyone has been reacting so well to TR?

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#7re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:40pm

^ that would be great. Maybe he'll set off a chain effect, lol.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

FoscasBohemianDream
#8re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:42pm

From what I understand he is just doing it because apparently some tabloids are publishing that he has denied being gay, so he is just publicly announcing it so people know he is not denying it or embarrassed about it.

#9re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:43pm

So did he fire his publicist?

I am glad of it in any case. Now let's have another 100 follow suit.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#10re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:44pm

It is quite brave, though, playing a Lothario on a hit sit-com, and coming out! Good for him!!

Maybe, others will follow...

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#11re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:48pm

Rock Hudson, anyone?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Mattbrain
#12re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 7:54pm

I never even thought of him as gay.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#13re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:01pm

WHAT?!?!?!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#14re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:03pm

I'm glad he's finally "officially" coming out. I love him and his work and wish him the best!

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

WSS2 Profile Photo
WSS2
#15re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:04pm

Good for him! It's such a non issue nowadays!

AJ1985 Profile Photo
AJ1985
#16re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:07pm

Good for NPH!! He should be proud of all that he is.

Notice how he doesn't mention his boyfriend of even that he is in a relationship. Mayeb his bf isn't erady to go public yet.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#17re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:09pm

Good for him. I thought it was odd when they were saying he was denying it, so I'm glad that claim was inaccurate.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#18re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:10pm

Good for him! It's such a non issue nowadays!

As much as I'd like to believe this, I don't. In Hollywood...as far as careers are concerned...it still is a major issue.

Notice how he doesn't mention his boyfriend of even that he is in a relationship. Mayeb his bf isn't erady to go public yet.

Hah. His boyfriend is pretty public about it already. If Neil had mentioned his name...nobody would have known who he was. And this is about Neil not David.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#19re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:26pm

Bravo!

As much as I'd like to believe this, I don't. In Hollywood...as far as careers are concerned...it still is a major issue.

True, but it's not like he was starring in action flicks and romantic comedies as it is, so I think he'll be fine.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#20re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:31pm

Bit by bit it's continuing to become less of an issue.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#21re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:44pm

Someone should sue that pig Mario (perezhilton). He's the cause of all this nonsense and no good can come of the things he does. It makes this place and ATC put together, on a bad day, seem like candyland! I'm sure it all has to do with NPH not falling over himself upon meeting Mario, nothing more, nothing less.
Updated On: 11/3/06 at 08:44 PM

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#22re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:44pm

LOL...I already knew when he was dating a friend of mines roomate in S.F., it was not a big deal, I was like oh cool. He is a nice guy to begin with..who cares who he loves!

CONGRATS!

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

TheEnchantedHunter
#23re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:59pm

Who cares?

Emma Bovary
Rouens, France

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#24re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine
Posted: 11/3/06 at 9:16pm

I meant "Who cares" as good for him...no one should really care who he dates, he is happy and that is the important thing~

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

Videos