News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item

Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item

Yankeefan007
#1Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 6:30am

Which little woman is gonna love tomorrow when she’s sent to summer school to play one of our favorite Broadway bad girls? Clearly there are worse things she could do.

http://www.broadway.com/gen/general.aspx?ci=536203

Alright, my guess is Maureen McGovern.

Updated On: 2/9/07 at 06:30 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#2re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 7:15am

That would be Jenny Powers, who was Meg in Little Women, and plays Young Phyllis in the Encores production of Follies, where she sings "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow".

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 7:45am

Yep, it's Jenny Powers. That actually makes me happy about Grease.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Yankeefan007
#3re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 7:50am

She must be good.

massofmen
#4re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:17am

why should she "must be good"?

Yankeefan007
#5re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:23am

Well if she sucked, they wouldn't have hired her. Hence, she must be good.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#6re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:06am

Brilliant Yankee!

No wonder I've loved your posts.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#7re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:16am

Maureen McGovern as Rizzo. Wow. Just...where do I get a ticket!

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#8re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:29am

Could it be Sutton?

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:30am

It's OBVIOUSLY Jenny Powers. The You're gonna love tomorrow part totally gives it away. Because she's playing Young Phyllis right now.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#10re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:30am

It could have been orfeh re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:37am

Jenny Powers played the bad girl to perfection in OF THEE I SING! at Encores. She'll be PERFECT Rizzo, and I might actually consider seeing the show now.

And, what a voice. The girl can sing her ass off.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#12re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:39am

Oh true...I'm not familiar with the show so I did not get the song line.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Fosse76
#13re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:42am

"Well if she sucked, they wouldn't have hired her. Hence, she must be good."

I can name at least three to four horrible casting choices from EACH show currently playing on Broadway (the ones I've seen, anyway). Just because someone is cast in a show doesn't mean they are good (David Hasselhoff, anyone)!!

thevolleyballer
#14re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:47am

I'm convinced now that it's Jenny Powers, but my first instinct said Sutton Foster. Obviously, she was in "Little Women", but was also in "Annie" ("Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow..."), and had played in "Grease" before as Sandy, so Rizzo would be the perfect role for her to dive back into the show without repeating the experience. And plus, she's been in "Drowsy" for over a year now -- if it was the time for her to begin a new show, I'd guess that it would be now.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#15re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:51am

Sutton is WAYYY too big of a Broadway star now that she has been nominated for 3 Tonys. She would never perform as Rizzo.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#16re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:54am

There is no reason for sutton to leave Drowsy to go to Grease. The big hype in grease is going to be Danny and Sandy, Sutton is too big of a star to go into a show like that.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:56am

Sutton is too big of a star to go into a show like that.

- While Broadway fanatics know and love her. She is FAR from a big star outside of Broadway. She is not a household name at all.

But it's obviously not Sutton. Updated On: 2/9/07 at 11:56 AM

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#18re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:56am

That is actually not true. She said, after Little Women, that she really wanted to do some more featured work (which is why she took a supporting role in Drowsy). Whether she would take the part of Rizzo in this particular production is a different question all together. Oh, and yes it is Jenny Powers.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#19re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 12:13pm

Actually jewishboy, what she said is that she wanted to do more work in an "ensemble piece". Drowsy is just that...an ensemble piece. She would NEVER play a featured role to someone else's lead role. Even if she ends up doing Young Frankenstein, look at the size of her part there...

Yankeefan007
#20re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:21pm

Lest ye forget that before Sutton Foster became SUTTON FOSTER!, she was a replacement Sandy in the last revival.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#21re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:24pm

MichaelBennett, you just made me fall out on the floor in laughter.

JoMarch Profile Photo
JoMarch
#22re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:26pm

Sutton also said she wants to focus on doing new musicals instead of revivals. So there's another reason why it clearly isn't her.

massofmen
#23re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:35pm

thank you Yankee.
are you seriously telling me that if a person is in a broadway show that they "must be good"? That casting agents/directors and producers who cast the show are all infallible and they make perfect casting choices each time? That every person in every role on broadway is good cause they are up there? A little realism please.

Yankeefan007
#24re: Rizzo's Been Cast - Another Wontorek Blind Item
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:42pm

I do believe, and please correct me if I'm mistaken, that you're interpreting my phraseology in the wrong way. I mean "must be good" not as "she has to be good, she's in a Broadway show," but as "well, she must have some spark that made them hire her."

If you're interpreting it that way, then yes, I am telling you that if a person is in a Broadway show, they "must be good." 90% (+/- a few) of all actors are unemployed in that medium. They're waiting tables. They're dancing at Ellen's stardust. They're bartending. Etcetera, etcetera. Any actor in the 10% who has a job "must be good." Doesn't mean they actually are, but they have what casting directors wanted.

That's not to say that the people who don't have jobs aren't good. They just don't have what casting directors are looking for, for certain roles. If someone gets a job in a show that's as high-profile as the revival of GREASE, they must be good. For a show of this caliber (especially since they're hiring the 2 nobodies as chosen by the non-theatergoing American public), they're not going to take the risk of hiring someone who is unqualified for the part.

So yes, Jenny Powers must be good. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Updated On: 2/9/07 at 02:42 PM

Videos