pixeltracker

Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars

Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars

FrontRow
#1Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 4:14pm

When Hattie McDaniel (first black actor ever nominated) won the Oscar for 'Gone With the Wind,' her acceptance speech was written by the studio. It included the line: "I hope I will always be a credit to my race."

Well, that's an obnoxious thing to force someone to say, but in that vein... Philip Seymour Hoffman was an enormous discredit to theater actors (and, I guess, white people) at the Oscars. Was that used motor oil he dipped his head in, or is he actually a homeless crack addict as he looked?

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#2re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 4:19pm

whoa, that's a little harsh. but i do think he has looked better. most definitely.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Posted: 2/26/07 at 4:20pm

Unfortunately, Philip Seymour Hoffman IS a homeless crack addict. His appearance at last night's Oscars is his 'cleaned-up' appearance.

re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
Posted: 2/26/07 at 4:20pm

I was wondering about his hair myself.
Updated On: 2/26/07 at 04:20 PM

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#4re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 4:33pm

Honestly, yes, he looked like crap. But the "I don't care look" didn't bother me so much. Sometimes it just makes me wonder if he's fallen off the wagon. If the look is just the look, that's fine, but if the look is a product of some other issues, I hope he's doing Ok. He is an extremely brilliant talent who has wrestled with issues of addiction and I just hope that he is still in control of them. Otherwise, I think he's very aware of what he looks like and seems to be comfortable with it, so more power to him.

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#5re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 4:56pm

You guys are cruel. He is a very talented and sexy man. He just needs FEDERICO salon.
re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
PS I don't think he cares about his appearance and I kind of admire him for it. He does not look like that though. I see him all the time in front of Joe's Pub and he looks hot. He did look like he just stepped out of a garbage heap last evening. ;-(
Marc Shaiman looked spiffy.

CurtainPullDowner
#6re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:13pm

Hey, it's Oscar night, COMB YOUR HAIR.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#7re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:15pm

Give him a break! He was upset because Nicole Kidman had his first choice dress on...

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#8re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:30pm

I think it would be one thing if he always looked great and then came looking to the Oscars windswept, but he looked the way that he always looks at these types of things. That is just Philip Swymour Hoffman.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#9re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:31pm

Agreed. I don't feel like I've ever seen him look much different. Interesting, though...I've never heard him accused of being "hot."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#10re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:48pm

Looks like he combed his hair with an egg beater

Poster Emeritus

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#11re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:52pm

He should have cleaned up more. He's an Academy Award Winner, and on the night of the Academy Awards, he should show some respect.
Anyone notice that Helen didn't go near him when he handed her the award?

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#12re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:53pm

Well, he looked better than Sally Kirkland.

2nd down

http://perezhilton.com/topics/icky_icky_poo/

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#13re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:06pm

What does his look have to do with discrediting theater actors? Or Hattie McDaniel for that matter?

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#14re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:07pm

On second reading, I was beginning to doubt the Hattie McDaniel reference myself. I don't see much of a connection...but ok.

CurtainPullDowner
#15re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:13pm

I didn't get the Hattie thing either.
As far as Hoffman, he wasn't acting that night, he was presenting an Oscar on National Television.
I repeat COMB your hair.

Sally looks hysterical.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#16re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:42pm

Yeah, Hoffman also went on close to midnight after probably sitting in that theatre since 6:30 or 7. You'd look like that too if you had to sit through those rediculous awards. His hair was messed up from running his fingers through it in frustration over Ellen's lame jokes and in needs of a smoke.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:58pm

Ok. that is a logical explanation

I like Ellen but as one reviewer said she was trying hard not to offend anyone & she succeeded

Poster Emeritus

Carl Magnum
#18re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:02pm

The producers got exactly what they wanted. Someone who wouldn't cause a stir or upset anyone but would be incredibly likable. Billy Crystal was the master of making his bland so big everyone forgot he was being safe.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#19re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:04pm

I would love to have someone with an edge host the awards

Will she be invited back ?

Poster Emeritus

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#20re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:05pm

Yeah, she's safe. But so what? I still think she was funny. I'd be glad to see her do it again. And again.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Carl Magnum
#21re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:06pm

It wouldn't surprise me if they brought her back, wouldn't surprise me at all. None of her jokes fell flat and she is a wonderfully likable individual. They probably thought her being a lesbian was enough of an edge.

CurtainPullDowner
#22re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:09pm

She's a lesbian?
Who knew?

Wait I thought this was about hoffman's do?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#23re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:12pm

Re Ellen

They could do worse than bringing her back. It all depends on what direction they are going in

Poster Emeritus

Carl Magnum
#24re: Philip Seymour Hoffman at Oscars
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:33pm

Their direction is...."Keep red states coming to the movies so we make money" direction

Videos