'To-see' lists?

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#1'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:15pm

Who has a to-see list--and if you do, is it based around personal time constraints, working around when the shows will close, or at leisure?

Mine is an amalgam of the first two: I can only go on weekends and generally have to go to matinees, so I try to see all the shows I want to see before they close (hey, it's hard! Many are open only for, say, 3 weekends).

My list at the moment [chronological]
Specific dates
All That I Will Ever Be (March 3rd or 4th)
LaChiusa's The Wild Party [Columbia Stages!] (April 22nd)
Not specific, but within a certain time frame
In the Heights (ASAP, or at least before it closes [although I do expect it to make The Jump])
All The Wrong Reasons (ASAP, after Heights)
Curtains (ASAP)
Legally Blonde (ASAP)
Spring Awakening (early summer)
The Big Voice: God or Merman? (by the end of the summer)
Deuce (...before the chance to see Lansbury and Seldes passes!)
Beauty and the Beast (before it closes)
The Producers (before it closes)
No Child (by the end of the summer)
Spelling Bee (hopefully by summer's end; definitely by year's end)
To see again--whenever (alphabetical)
Chicago, with Bebe (if at all possible--no Bebe, no go)
A Chorus Line (hopefully still with most of the original cast)
Company (hopefully with Angel Desai still around)
Rent
Wicked, with Julia/Kendra (if at all possible--no Julia/Kendra, no go)

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com
Updated On: 3/18/07 at 07:15 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#2re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:34pm

I have a To See list. Several, really. It usually works that I find one show I really want to see, so I work out a good date for that, then I take in a few shows around it. For instance, I wanted to see 'Wicked' early in previews in the West End, so I took that entire week off work and saw 'The Woman In Black', 'The Last Five Years', 'Les Miserables', 'Evita', 'Billy Elliot', 'Guys And Dolls', and 'Avenue Q' as well.

My next block of To See was based around 'Faust' (a National Theatre production). I chose a date that I knew I wouldn't be at work and booked my ticket. Then I booked myself in for 'The Tempest' in the afternoon. Then I booked a couple more days off work and am going to see 'La Boheme' (for £30; very specific days for that offer!) and 'Cabaret' and hopefully something else as well. I call it my March Culture Trip.

My NY Trip is coming up in March and was based around 'The Pirate Queen'. It also covers 'Spelling Bee', 'Beauty And The Beast', 'Spring Awakening', 'Company', 'Pirates Of Penzance', 'Curtains', and 'Les Miserables'.

Then I'll have a May trip back to London which should involve 'The Lord Of The Rings' and 'The Drowsy Chaperone' at the very least. Oh, and there's an April trip in the offing too, but it may not include much more than 'Wicked' and 'Equus' so may not count. Although it looks as good a time as any to slip in 'Total Eclipse'...

Anyway! ^_^ I try to work around days off as far as possible, but when I decide to extend and have a few days in London, it doesn't always work out that way. I like to work around opening dates more than closing dates; I got the final performance of 'Frost/Nixon' and have been kicking myself for not getting an earlier one, because I really would love to see it again. re: 'To-see' lists?

Updated On: 2/26/07 at 07:34 PM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#2re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:40pm

Curtains [soon.]
Spring Awakening [ASAP]
Legally Blonde [ASAP]

Wicked with Julie Murney [soon.]
Beauty and The Beast with Analiese Van der Pol [before she leaves and it closes.]

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#3re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:52pm

Weez: The only reason I generally work around closing dates is because they're like deadlines--I mean, first off, I got started loving theatre only about in the spring (I guess you could call it my 'Spring Awakening'! Harr, harr!) and only started seeing shows toward the end of the summer. So, I have to work in the shows that I haven't yet seen (because of other short engagements or other things I have to see before they close, or the like), and then I have to work in the long-term stuff around that.

Spring Awakening, in particular, is waiting until summer so that I'll have a whole day where I can eschew responsibility and wait in line for rush, old-school Rent style. Others that can wait until Summer (with the exceptions of Curtains and Legally Blonde, both of which I'm dying to see!) probably will, also--convenience and all that.

ClumsyDude15: No way, I didn't realize that Anneliese would be in B&B! I'm going to try and catch it with her in.

I did have others with specific actors (specifically, Wicked with Julia/Kendra and Chicago with Bebe)--but I've seen both shows twice already and I also don't want to see Bebe and Julia/Kendra enough to miss any limited-engagement shows I would have to miss.

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:55pm

My list of upcoming shows:

February 27-8pm-Simon Boccanegra
March 1-8pm-Curtains
March 2-8pm-Prelude to a Kiss
March 3-8pm-The Pirates of Penzance
March 4-2pm-Some Men
March 5-7pm-The Sisters Rosensweig
March 7-8pm-The Year of Magical Thinking
March 11-2:30pm-Our Leading Lady
March 19-8pm-Die Agyptische Helena
April 1-7pm-King Hedley II
April 3-8pm-Frost/Nixon
April 11-8pm-Deuce

Shows I need to fit in:
All That I Will Ever Be
Jack Goes Boating

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 2/26/07 at 07:55 PM

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#5re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:56pm

This is a combination of my Broadway "To See" list and my West End "Too See" list

Shows I already have tickets to:
The Producers
The Coast of Utopia (all three)
Leagally Blonde
Equus

Shows I plan to see:
Chicago (w/ Bebe)
Curtains
Deuce
Grease
Les Mis (w/ Lea Salonga)-I've never seen this show before...hard to believe
Love Musik
Billy Elliot
Evita
The Drowsy Chaperone (West End)

More West End Possibilities:
Cabaret
Guys and Dolls
Dirty Dancing
The 39 Steps
We Will Rock You

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#6re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 7:56pm

I have a to-see list as well. Currently, only "Poppins" is on it, but "Legally Blonde" will be soon. If a show announces a closing date, that usually puts it on my to-see list.

I also have a want-to-see-again list, which currently has "Company" and "A Chorus Line" on it.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

Updated On: 2/26/07 at 07:56 PM

Tchi4Lif188 Profile Photo
Tchi4Lif188
#7re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:05pm

Shows I plan to see before the end of the year:

Altar Boyz
Chicago (once more before Bebe leaves hopefully)
Curtains
Deuce
Grey Gardens
Legally Blonde
Spelling Bee
Spring Awakening
Tarzan (I plan to take my brother)

"Wishes come true, not free..."

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#8re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:06pm

SNLMedia: I actually like the idea of a to-see-again list (and mine contains the same two shows). The only reason Wicked and Chicago would still not be on such a list is because I feel that 3 is more than enough when there are all these other shows I want to see.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#9re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:09pm

"ClumsyDude15: No way, I didn't realize that Anneliese would be in B&B! I'm going to try and catch it with her in. "

Yup.
I gotta go see her.
And see it before it closes.
It was my first Bway show.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#10re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:09pm

Very cool, keely! I want to see "A Chorus Line" again because I had a lotto seat my first time and was on the extreme right, so I'd like to see it from somewhere in the center to get the full experience. "Company" is basically to see Raúl's riveting performance again.

I have yet to see Wicked on Broadway. I've only seen it once on tour and have had no desire to revisit it in New York.

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#11re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:12pm

Broadway:

Wicked again
Legally Blonde
Les Miz
Producers final show!
Beauty and The Beast
Mary Poppins again
Apple Tree
110 in the Shade

West End:

Blood Brothers
Mary Poppins
Wicked
Little Shop Of Horrors
Chicago
Evita
Porgy and Bess

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#12re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:18pm

SNLMedia: I didn't win lotto--I had Standing Room. I would gladly stand through another show, but I would prefer to get lotto tickets.

There are so many London shows I wish I could see, but--alas--I'm 14 so deciding to just go on (or even actually planning) a theatre trip is out of the question. Thank god I live in NYC!

I'm updating my list as I see other things on other people's lists that interest me.

ThankstoPhantom
#13re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:33pm

NYC:

Grey Gardens (happening)
Mary Poppins (happening)
Spring Awakening (hopefully by end of the summer)
Curtains (with OBC)
Frost/Nixon
Sunday in the Park with George

TOURS:

Doubt (with Cherry Jones)
The Light in the Piazza

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#14re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:40pm

To See ASAP:
The Apple Tree
Chicago with Bebe
Company
Beauty and the Beast with Analiese

Haven't Opened Yet:
The Pirate Queen
Curtains
Legally Blonde

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#15re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 8:42pm

Grey Gardens (Hopefully)
Drowsy Chaperone (Hopefully)

If I could gte to NYC more often, my list would be much larger.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

RockabyeHamlet
#16re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:03pm

To See (In Order, "Ill Die If I Dont See it" First to " Eh If i Get To It" Last):

LoveMusik (4/29)
King Lear
Spring Awakening
Deuce
The Apple Tree
A Chorus Line
Beauty & The Beast
Mary Poppins
The Color Purple
Legally Blonde
110 In The Shade
Curtains
Jersey Boys

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#17re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:07pm

WELL, when I'm in NYC from march 7-11 here's my list
no order:

Chorus Line, Les Mis, Grey Gardens, Pirate Queen, Apple Tree, Company, Spring Awakening

AND I will see all of them while I'm there:) I will see to it.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Broadwayfanatic2 Profile Photo
Broadwayfanatic2
#18re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:23pm

Shows that I will see for sure in the next 5 years
The Phantom in May probably
Cats
The Drowsy Chaperone
and
Wicked

Shows that I might see someday (in order)...
Les Miserables
Curtains
Mary Poppins
25th annual putnam...
The Pirate Queen
Spamalot
and
The Lion King

AdamBritten Profile Photo
AdamBritten
#19re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/26/07 at 9:43pm

Well, I am taking a school trip during the end of March thru the start of April (my choir is singing in Carnagie Hall!)

And I am seeing:

-Spelling Bee (have tix)
-Pirate Queen (have tix)
-Inherit the Wind
-Either BATB or Producers (trying to decide which one to see, since they are both closing)

I WISH I was there for LB, but the 1st preview is the day after we leave. I am just really interested in how that is going to work.

I also am looking for recommendations for what to see. The last time I was in NYC I saw:

-Wicked (loved it)
-Rent (loved it)
-POTO (loved it)
-Sweeney Todd (closing) (AMAZING)
-Tarzan
-Ave Q (loved it)

And on tour I've seen:
-Hairspray (pretty good)
-Wicked (loved it)
-Doubt (loved it)
-Joseph (ew, my high school production was ALMOST as good)
-Les Miz (ehhhh)
-Spamalot (pretty good)

Based on what I've seen before and what I said I liked, what would you say I should see?

You gotta run the race to win the prize!

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#20re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:09pm

AdamBritten:

Here are what I suggest for you (both currently open and yet-to-open):
A Chorus Line (Non-negotiable. It kicks so much ass and almost all the actors, except the normally terrific but horrifically miscast Charlotte D'Amboise, are fantastic. Contrary to some others who've seen the show, I think that Deidre Goodwin and Jessica Goldyn are wonderful).
Company (Doyle direction never gets old! Plus, if you've never seen the show before--I hadn't--you should. Besides, it's Sondheim--whom I adore.)
Curtains (I've heard some of the music and it's great--plus, it's a K&E!)
Legally Blonde (Well, you've seen the reviews! Plus, I love the music.)
110 in the Shade (Audra McDonald, HELLO! Plus, it's based on a Katharine Hepburn movie--which was based on a book or something like that, I'm not positive of the story, but still. Plus, I heard it was originally a flop, and don't tell me the idea of seeing a flop doesn't excite you. Well, it excites me, anyway: I only wish I was around to have seen Carrie!)

incupsofcoffee
#21re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:18pm

A Moon for the Misbegotten
Inherit the Wind

e Profile Photo
e
#22re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:19pm

keely2, a little off topic, but where have you heard Curtains music?

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#23re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:29pm

There's a demo floating around. I don't know how old it is, so maybe all (or most of) the music has been rehauled, but I love what I've heard.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#24re: 'To-see' lists?
Posted: 2/27/07 at 4:35pm

I have King Lear on Friday, Company (again) Saturday night, Curtains next week, and maybe Grey Gardens again.

Videos