pixeltracker

long running perofrmances in long running shows

long running perofrmances in long running shows

eatlasagna
#1long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 12:05am

anyone out there you think gives amazing performances after being in a show for so long (let's say 2+ years for arguments sake)...

for me i really liked Howard McGiillin in phantom when i saw him last year... can't believe he had been in the show for several years... felt like i was watching someone perform the role for the first time... amazing

BDavis0092
#2re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 12:51am

Jennifer Barnhart in Avenue Q.

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

Mark Loves His Scarf Profile Photo
Mark Loves His Scarf
#2re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 2:05am

Does Avenue Q count as a long running show? For me, it would have to be John Owen-Jones in Phantom of the Opera. Longest running Phantom in the West End; personally, I think he is the ideal Phantom. I love his voice and everything he does on stage =)

"I haven't got a pail." "Find your grail, your GRAIL!" "But it's not missing. It's right on the counter where it's supposed to- defying gravity, my giant cup's gone!" "Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes. How do you measure... measure a year?" "How many times do I have to tell you, it's five hundred twenty-five thousand, five hundred and eighty-five point thirty-two minutes. You will never graduate if you keep basing your math on showtunes." "You ruin Broadway for me." "As well I should."

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#3re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 2:10am

"Jennifer Barnhart in Avenue Q."

Shes left the show, her roles are now being played by Aymee Garcia.

"Have they come yet?"

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#4re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 2:12am

I saw JO-J on "the site which CAN be mentioned except when it comes to bootlegs", and I thought he was AWESOME! But I think that Howard was AWFUL when I saw it! I was a bartender there for a bit, and I was so happy when his understudy went on!

My vote would be for Carolee Caramello (SP) in Mamma Mia!, because I adore Louise, but her Winner Takes It All is f***ing fantastic!

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#5re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 9:31am

Steve Blanchard in BATB.

Anon2 Profile Photo
Anon2
#6re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 9:36am

Although He's leaving - Mark Hutchinson in Blood Brothers UK. Seems to have been on for an enternity!

**You Can't Beat A Matcham!**

BDavis0092
#7re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 10:56am

When did she leave? I just saw her last Saturday.

husk_charmer
#8re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 10:59am

Going way back, Ethel Merman did the entire run of "Gypsy."

And, unless I misread Theatre World, Jerry Orbach didn't leave "Chicago"

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

sybil7
#9re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 11:13am

ok - being a fan re: long running perofrmances in long running shows I'd have to say J. Mark McVey as Valjean - no matter when I saw him and no matter how 'tired' the ensemble seemed - he was always spot-on and incredible. JMO

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#10re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 11:28am

"When did she leave? I just saw her last Saturday."

Maybe she came back to the show recently. For a few months (Jan & Feb) Garcia was billed. I did not know Jennifer would be returning.

"Have they come yet?"

BDavis0092
#11re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 11:37am

According to broadway.com Jennifer is Mrs. T./Bear/Others. When I saw her she was on as Kate Monster/Lucy The Slut/Others. She is with the show now. I didn't know she ever left though.

philcrosby
#12re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 11:49am

Merman did the entire Broadway run of ALL of her shows, I believe, including all 1500(?)+ performances of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#13re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 11:57am

Hugh Panaro was my fav Phantom...I'm not sure if he meets the standards set in this thread, but he's given enough performances to count IMO.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#14re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 12:07pm

Agree about Panaro.

I'm suprised nobody said George Lee Andrews yet. Even though he has bounced around the roles a bit (Firmin and Andre, mostly), he has made a career out of Phantom on Broadway.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#15re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 12:13pm

Steve Blanchard is not really a very good Beast. I was pretty disappointed when I saw him a couple of weeks ago. You could tell he has a really good voice, somewhere under there, but he just wasn't using it effectively at all and I didn't enjoy him at all. re: long running perofrmances in long running shows

I've seen some nice comments about Angie Schworer on this board in recent months. Considering how long 'The Producers' has been running and that she's only the second Ulla, she definitely counts.

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#16re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 12:14pm

"Hugh Panaro was my fav Phantom...I'm not sure if he meets the standards set in this thread, but he's given enough performances to count IMO."

Hugh did 1,005 performances in the role (not counting when he was Raoul). That makes him the second-longest running Phantom with the Broadway company.

I was going to mention George, actually, since I was just talking about him elswhere.

gymdudeva
#17re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 12:21pm

I believe the record is Marian Seldes in Deathtrap (1,793 performances). That's a lot of screaming!

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#18re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 3:58pm

As was already mentioned, Ethel Merman did the entire run of GYPSY (702 performances) and then took it on tour for an additional 6 months. What star of today of Merman's quality would do that?

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#19re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:07pm

Donna Murphy re: long running perofrmances in long running shows

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#20re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:07pm

Hasn't there been a cast member in Phantom since it opened?

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#21re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:14pm

Hasn't there been a cast member in Phantom since it opened?

George Lee Andrews.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

jynni
#22re: long running perofrmances in long running shows
Posted: 4/6/07 at 4:24pm

IRRC, there was an actress who was with Cats for its entire run. I remember reading an article where she talked about starting out in the chorus and eventually got promoted up to playing Bombalurina.

Videos