The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:26am

Just re-discovered this and it MUST be seen again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykhcPEikc3k&mode=related&search=

PS: Thank you to BWW for changing their policy and allowing us to share these wonderful, legal, videos!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:34am

lol....."Scott Saunders....I don't like him very much but he got the money for me to do the show".

littlechavela2 Profile Photo
littlechavela2
#2re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:36am

That was FANTASTIC!

pianojohn Profile Photo
pianojohn
#3re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:39am

I would have to say Tom Hank's speech when he won the Oscar for "Philadelphia." Here is my favorite part:

"And there lies my dilemma here tonight. I know that my work in this case is magnified by the fact that the streets of heaven are too crowded with angels. We know their names. They number 1,000 for each of the red ribbons we wear here tonight.

They finally rest in the warm embrace of the gracious creator of us all. A healing embrace that cools their fevers, that clears their skin, and allows their eyes to see the simple, self-evident commonsense truth that is made manifest by the benevolent creator of us all. And was written down on paper by wise men, tolerant men, in the city of Philadelphia 200 years ago. God bless you all, God have mercy on us all, and God bless America."

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#4re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:41am

Stritch's Emmy acceptance was THE BEST. She may be the most honest person on the planet.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#5re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:44am

Phylicia Rashad's acceptance speech for her Tony for A RAISIN IN THE SUN.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#6re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 11:25am

HI-LARIOUS!!!! Love her!

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#7re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 11:40am

my favorite of all time is stanley donen's sung acceptance of his special Oscar a number of years ago. it was the sweetest acceptance i've ever seen. very heartfelt and clever at the same time.

Mind is Mantra.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#8re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 11:54am

Ha, thanks for the link! Great speech!

Since others have mentioned other favorites, I have to mention Emma Thompson's 1995 acceptance speech for Sense and Sensibility at The Golden Globes as if she were Jane Austen accepting the award.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

mauriposa
#9re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:08pm

Oh, that was so good! What a treat to wake up this morning.

j'aime_le_theatre Profile Photo
j'aime_le_theatre
#10re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:14pm

Oh that is perfect. She is perfect.

I'm in such a better mood today.

"You'll never know, you'll never F-in know..."

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:21pm

"[Applause] No don't do that - you just waste time."

"[Music begins]I'm just going to start naming names and you can come and get me whenever you want.[Music stops]"

"Now I'm not going to move from here until somebody comes and gets me."

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#12re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:45pm

Alfred Hitchcock at the Oscars.
Pretty pimp.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#13re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 12:57pm

That speech was awesome. Love her. Thanks for posting it, Capn.
Updated On: 4/18/07 at 12:57 PM

#14re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 1:14pm

In what way shape or form is that a "Legal" video? Did ABC forget to copyright it's broadcast that night?

This is a big part of the You-Tube problem-- people assume that because they were able to watch the TV show for free that they can do whatever they want with it. ABC owns the rights to that show and all material contained within. Elaine Stritch's "best acceptance speech EVER" is not a legally posted You-Tube video.

joeybiltmore1
#15re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 1:17pm

Sure, Stritch is a fun ol' broad, but her "humility" on this clip, in AT LIBERTY and in interviews makes me nauseous.
Updated On: 4/18/07 at 01:17 PM

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#16re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:16pm

I know I may get crap for this but I really did like Idina's Tony Speech.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#17re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:26pm

joey, it does amaze me how people around here admire behavior from performers that they would revile in the people around them in their everyday lives.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:43pm

"In what way shape or form is that a "Legal" video? Did ABC forget to copyright it's broadcast that night?

This is a big part of the You-Tube problem-- people assume that because they were able to watch the TV show for free that they can do whatever they want with it. ABC owns the rights to that show and all material contained within. Elaine Stritch's "best acceptance speech EVER" is not a legally posted You-Tube video."

While I agree it is a problem, I did not assume in this instance. Certain broadcasting companies, such as CBS, have banned their network's shows from being on YouTube. Others, however, are all for the extra promotion and haven't banned them.

--Aristotle

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:46pm

"You'll never know! You'll NEVER EFFIN KNOW!"

I worship her.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

One Song Glory
#20re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 2:48pm

Wow, that was hilarious. Definitely my favorite acceptance speech now.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#21re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 4:00pm

I remember watching that speech during the Emmys a few years ago. I was elated that she won, and her speech was by far the highlight of the night. Heck, it would be the highlight of most award shows. Love her.

"joey, it does amaze me how people around here admire behavior from performers that they would revile in the people around them in their everyday lives."

Like her honesty, spunk, zest for life and candor? Oh, yes, I depsise her for all those things.

Honestly. Tell me one thing that was wrong with her behvaior in the speech.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

buddharich
#22re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 4:21pm

When I saw this thread title, my immediate thought was Elaine Stritch!

I loved Stuart Damon's emmy acceptance speech in 1999. I love it when "winners" are excited and overjoyed!

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#23re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 6:01pm

Sach Baron Cohen at the last Golden Globes had the BEST SPEECH EVER! (Ok, maybe not, but it was funny!)

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#24re: The BEST Acceptance Speech EVER
Posted: 4/18/07 at 6:02pm

Elaine Stritch is an entertainer, and she knew what would entertain the crowd that night. I can't fault her for doing her job!

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near