Hotel/Hostel NYC

Nagrom5280 Profile Photo
Nagrom5280
#1Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/19/07 at 5:26pm

So my company is sending me to NYC for a night, and I would like to stick around for a few days but on a very tight budget. Anyone have any places to stay that are cheap yet safe. I have done searches but who else better than you all to help me out.

other than business my purpose will be to see shows. So keeping that in mind, with a budget of 70.00 to 100.00...anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#2re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/19/07 at 5:31pm

Technically I think the place I've been staying is a hostel, but it's cheap, safe, and nice: The Portland Square Hotel on 47th and 6th Ave.
Very nice (I think it's $120 a night but I've paid as low as $89.95).

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#2re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/19/07 at 5:50pm

I stayed at the Portland Square. It's surely not possible to get any more convenient for the theatre district without paying at least three times the amount! I booked it through cheaphotels.com (or similar URL) but you can get good deals booking through their website as well, I believe. I was very fond of it, even though my view was of one of those air vents and my twin room would've been overcrowded had I actually been sharing with someone. ^_^

Updated On: 4/19/07 at 05:50 PM

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#3re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/19/07 at 5:54pm

I love it. It's a great location for the money, isn't it, Weez? The staff is very good, too.
I really like it.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

OnMyWay Profile Photo
OnMyWay
#4re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/19/07 at 5:56pm

I like the Continental Hostel on 96th and west end. it's about $20 a night, and it's clean and pleasant.

"People that excel in the arts understand that the journey is the reward...the result an added bonus. Every day I act or train is a blessing and a dream come true. If Broadway beckons so be it. I have a personal definition of success that is unshakable by a possibly unobtainable goal." -HamletWasBipolar

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#5re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 11:17am

Big Apple Hostel

Right in times square, VERY friendly and helpful staff. They pretty much give you a room and a bed. But honestly what more do you need? Always clean. Always safe. Great place to stay for a few nights when on a budget.

circusliz Profile Photo
circusliz
#6re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 12:52pm

I recommend the Herald Square hotel.

On the road of life, do not pause for suicidal chipmunks who freeze in your headlights, seeking death by your tires...

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#7re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 1:06pm

I second the Big Apple Hostel---I've stayed there several times, and have never had a problem! (you do have to make reservations online, however!)

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

broadwayjim42
#8re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 1:08pm

I recommend the Herald Sqaure Hotel as well...as long as it's a couple weeks in advance, you can get a one-person-only room for $99-109.

I'm also a fan of the Red Roof on W 32nd, which I've gotten for as little as $89, but prices seem to have spiked much higher there recently.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#9re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 2:08pm

Thank you Magdalene! I had forgotten to mention that you must reserve your room online ahead of time.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#10re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 2:24pm

re: Hotel/Hostel NYC

It all depends on how hung up you are on privacy---the hostel rates are areound $40.00 for a shared room, $95.00 for a private room---but you still share a bath (which isn't bad). I'm very happy I found this place (it's on West 45th between 6th & 7th Avenues---so very handy to the theater district!)

JBSinger
#11re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 3:39pm

The West Side YMCA is very affordable. I'm staying there over Memorial Day weekend. When I lived in the city that was my gym so I think I'll be pretty comfortable. And.. its just a stone's throw from Lincoln Center and Central Park. If the WestSide is full you can try for the Vanderbilt YMCA over the UN. A single person private room for under $70 I think.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#12re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 3:46pm

hmmm, maybe I should give a Y a try! re: Hotel/Hostel NYC

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#13re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 3:53pm

I also recommend the Big Apple Hostel. I've stayed there twice. Great location and great rates. If I remember correctly, they have two bathrooms per floor. They are shared, but only one occupant at a time (you can lock the door).

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#14re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 4:10pm

4 per floor, 2 per wingre: Hotel/Hostel NYC

SNLMedia Profile Photo
SNLMedia
#15re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 4:12pm

Thanks Magdalene!

"The world is a better place because of hairspray." - Michael Ball

theatrespaz
#16re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 5:38pm

So does that mean if you have a private room, you only share it with one other private room and it's between the two. Or are the bathrooms on the floor and you have to leave your room and go across the Hall. Pardon my ignorance, but I am staying there for the first time in July.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#17re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 6:44pm

Bathrooms are on the floor and you leave your room to walk to them.

Each floor has 2 wings, each wing has 7 or 8 rooms (?) and 2 bathrooms. Each with a toilet, shower and sink. I have never walked into one of the bathrooms at any time of the day and not had it look spotless. I'm sure they have people checking them all the time.

Also, I don't know if it is just me but I never have a problem getting into one of the bathrooms in my wing. I honestly don't think I have ever had to wait. If I did it was so short I don't remember it.

matjomae Profile Photo
matjomae
#18re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 9:32pm

Throwing in my 2 cents concerning the West Side YMCA.

This past Fall one of the interns at my company was being housed by her school for the semester at the West Side YMCA. I think it was in October when they had to be evcuated and housed in another hotel for about a week because they had an awful problem with bedbugs. They were in the beds, clothes, everything.

Now I am sure the problem has been completely resolved and the YMCA has taken steps to prevent it from happening again but just figured I would throw it out there.

"Take all of your so-called problems, better put them in quotations.." - JM

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#19re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/20/07 at 10:16pm

I stay at the Y on 63rd Street, the one that the Village People song is about. It's $85 a night and you share a bathroom. The room is essentially a cell, but who cares? It's a half block off Broadway and Central Park West, walking distance to Lincoln Center, and about 10 blocks from Times Square. Plus, you get all the Y facilities you need: pool, sauna, etc.

You can book online, the rooms are clean and it's a nice place to stay.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

Craww
#20re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/21/07 at 1:02am

Another recommendation for the Big Apple Hostel. I stayed there for 4 nights about a week back, and I was happy with everything. Great location. I had a private room, though, so I can't vouch for how things go in the shared rooms.

siny
#21re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/21/07 at 2:09am

Riverside Tower Hotel on the Upper West Side

http://www.riversidetowerhotel.com/

$104 for a private room with a private bath

broadwayjoe476 Profile Photo
broadwayjoe476
#22re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/21/07 at 9:22am

www.1291.com or www.1291cityhomes.com

The most expensive for an apartment is like $250 a night or you can stay in the hostel, it's up to you and they are located on 55th and Broadway! Can't beat it

Hank
#23re: Hotel/Hostel NYC
Posted: 4/21/07 at 10:35am

Just a few years ago I was able to book the Edison for about $99 to $119 (plus taxes and parking). The nearby Milford Plaza and The Best Western President similarly priced. Not any more, they're all over $200 now.
I just did a check, and the Portland Squares cheapest room is $172.43.
Seems like the hostels and Ys are the last affordable resorts.

Videos