Millie Vs. Millie

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 1:53pm

Do you like the movie version OR the bway version of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE? I have never seen the show but I have listened to the cast recording and I like the songs from the movie better, plus you have Julie Andrews in the movie. I mean . . . JULIE!. So, what do you think?

Millie Vs. Millie

OR

Millie Vs. Millie

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

neddyfrank2
#2re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 1:55pm

I liked the movie more than the play. I liked Sutton more than Julie.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 1:58pm

I've never seen the movie, though I have the soundtrack to it. I saw MILLIE, the show, many times and adore it. MILLIE, the movie, is on my Netflix list, so hopefully I'll catch it soon.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#3re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:01pm

"RAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZBERRIES"

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 5/14/07 at 02:01 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:04pm

Just like HAIRSPRAY, the stage version and film version of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE are so different from each other that it's impossible to compare. I mean...even the tones of each one is different, etc.

Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:07pm

re: Millie Vs. Millie

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#6re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:09pm

I enjoy the stage version better than the movie. I like the music better than the movie. I enjoy Julie but I loved Sutton..

Flight0017 Profile Photo
Flight0017
#7re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:11pm

Some of the scenes in the movie scare and/or confuse me... But then again, the elevator scene is a classic, and so is "The Tapioca".

I've never seen the stage version, but I love the cast recording.

"Curse you, Lady Glyde!"

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#8re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:16pm

In the movie, I love the car/make-out scene and when she meets her boss. HILARIOUS!

Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:21pm

Sutton with one of the Trevor Graydon understudies and Gavin Creel (Jimmy).

-Kad

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#10re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 2:23pm

The Movie Cast:

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#11re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:11pm

I hated the show and loved the film.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#12re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:19pm

Harriet Harris was brilliant, but C'mon Bea Lillie!!!!!

I found the movie incredibly more enjoyable.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#13re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:21pm

Love the film, hated the show. BEA LILLIE. "Oh, pook."

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#14re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 3:26pm

Sutton Foster was gold in this show. A true star performance.
Overall, I do enjoy the stage version much better. I think its classic.

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Chardonnay
#15re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:33pm

Stage... although, the movie is brilliant

FosseForever3 Profile Photo
FosseForever3
#16re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 4:58pm

Ooh definately stage. It remains, to this day, one of my favorite musicals :)

I enjoyed the movie, though I wouldn't say it was brilliant.

"Now she wants to know WHY, if I'm so fabulous, I would WANT to take care of her child.....I answer with as much filigree and insouciance as I can muster, trying to slightly cock my head like Snow White listening to the animals. She, in turn, is aiming for more of a Diane-Sawyer-pose, looking for answers which will confirm that I am not there to steal her husband, jewelry, friends, or child. In that order." The Nanny Diaries

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#17re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 5:04pm

The movie is indeed, brilliant, but I enjoy seeing the show live in the theatre much more than I do just watching the movie. Also, I like the new songs for the stage version, the energy is higher and the characters are a bit more developed. It's like comparing apples and oranges though. They're both great in their own ways and there's no need to have one and not the other. They're both there for our enjoyment.

iluvtheatertrash
#18re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 5:10pm

Prefer the movie, but liked Sutton's take on the role.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Fenchurch
#19re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 5:26pm

The film is faaar superior to the stage show, which is a pale comparison. I enjoyed some of the added numbers, but was all around disappointed with the glaring omission of the elevator scene, the Jewish Wedding, The Tapioca (I could have KILLED someone) and Jazz Baby, all of which were replaced with inferior musical pieces, although I did enjoy "forget about the boy" but it didn't make up for such a horrible, horrible stage adaptation.

I had such hopes for the show and I was utterly disappointed. They dumbed down the stage show for the lowest common denominator of audiences and make the jokes insipid, the plot stupidly contrived and the the whole thing a cartoon caricature of what a good show could be.

I hated it.

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#20re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 6:19pm

i agree with fenchurch! the movie is far superior to the stage adaptation.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Hank
#21re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 5/14/07 at 6:32pm

The stage version is a million times better!
I love Julie Andrews just as much as the next guy, but not here. Sutton Foster, on the other hand was just perfect as the Mid-western girl coming here taking on the big city.
In fact, I love everyone in the stage show better, especially Gavin Creel, Anne L Nathan, Marc Kudich, Leslie Uggams, and the whole ensemble.
That said, I still enjoyed seeing the movie after stage show.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#22re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 6/3/07 at 7:33pm

I kinda feel that the movie is tuer to the feel of the time period though...

And I DEF. prefer Julie Andrews over Sutton Foster. To be honest, and I may be the only one, but Sutton Foster as Millie did not impress me at all. The idea of Sutton Foster as Millie does not impress me at all.

Besides the film is one of my favorites. It's perfect re: Millie Vs. Millie

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#23re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 6/3/07 at 7:50pm

I was quite mad about how much the stage show changed the movie and was dead set on boycotting it (not that one person abstaining is really a boycott, but whatever) until I saw the Tony performance and Sutton completely won me over.

It was all downhill from there.

Now I enjoy both as long as I can keep them compartmentalized.

bobert5353
#24re: Millie Vs. Millie
Posted: 6/3/07 at 8:12pm

I loved the movie so much, the music was average. I love Carole Channing and she was the highlight of the movie.

Videos