pixeltracker

BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)- Page 2

BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)

mll85
#25re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:00am

Thanks for the update on the situation. Glad to know that the event didn't bring down the kids sprits and he still enjoyed the show.

billygoatgirl300
#26re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:07am

I'm glad to hear that the kid was ok. It's still scary that the whole thing happend at all. But the fact he said the whole thing was worth it in the end is amazing.

The towel waving reminded me of a Per?nist rally. I kept chanting "Evita!" whenever they'd pan to the crowds. - SM2

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#27re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:12am

Wait, he said this was all worth it in the end? So... seeing a musical is worth getting punched in the face and knocked unconscious with a hole through your lip? I'm all for loving the theater, but, um...

I'm certainly glad that he's okay, but that's excessive. This is really scary! Stay safe, everyone!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

peanut2 Profile Photo
peanut2
#28re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:13am

This is an incredibly horrible story, and Jujamcyn (theatre owners) should be contacted by everyone involved regarding this incident. The scalpers and greed, I believe are at the crux of this. The police took 15 minutes, and a station is on 48th ST?
Perhaps an outside security camera should be installed??

Broadwayfan120791 Profile Photo
Broadwayfan120791
#29re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:13am

That is really scary about what happened, my question is are these scalpers only at Jersey Boys though? I have been to Grey Gardens & Spring Awakening rush and some of my friends have been to others & nothing like these people who are that rude & ignorant are at them, so thats why I was wondering that & if it is no other rushes that people like this show up at, why ruin the JB rush then, why JB of all shows? I know it is a sold-out show, tickets can be sold at high prices for it, and all that, but still.

Now I can really see why they are closing the rush for it, but a lotto would be nice still. I'm glad the college student is okay now & had high spirits at the performance too, thats a terrible story.

Come on babe we're gonna paint the town...and all that jazz...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#30re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:17am

Jersey Boys is FAR more popular with the tourists than Spring Awakening or Grey Gardens. If scalpers are out to make money, and they know people will buy JB tickets for REALLY high amounts, then it makes complete sense that they're at JB rush.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

wicked_mimi
#31re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:22am

I believe the theater would have to pay cops to check IDs and even though JB is making tons of money it isn't their job to do that. People are there that early on their own. It never used to be that dangerous and it's sad their popularity has made it something like student rush come to an end.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#32re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:30am

The kid was at the show today. He had gauze taped up over the back of his head and near his lip, but was in high spirits, and having a great time...He was incredibly upbeat at the stage door, and said that it was worth it for the wonderful performance. Great attitude.

He was probably high on pain killers. He could have stared at the ceiling for 2.5 hours and still thought it was a great show. re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)

Didn't Rent hire a security guard to stand out all night back in the days of the line? If there's such an ongoing problem at Jersey Boys, why didn't they try that? You know, before someone was sent to the hospital and the theatre could be held liable in a lawsuit?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

i*heart*fame
#33re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:41am

I did rush on Wednesday morning and there was a woman trying to convince us to write to the producers to save student rush, but it really isnt safe. And the box office people can't always tell who the scalpers are. The person in front of me in the line told the box office guy he wanted "two equal seats" and when the box office guy asked what that was he said thats what they told me to get and was going to go on his cell but the box office guy said he needed to sell the seats.

The scalpers will find a way to get tickets and even with a lotto people are waiting outside of the show hoping to get a seat, but at least it is safer for all involved.

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

peanut2 Profile Photo
peanut2
#34re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:47am

...hate to be jaded, but...it's entirely possible (and probable) that these "kids" (thugs) are paid off by the scalpers. Having been around a long time, i'm afraid that one can never be naive about this kind of situation. We're talking BIG BUCKS here, and unfortunately, horrible things are perpetrated in the name of money..

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#35re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 1:59am

I can't believe what I just read... That is horrible! There should seriously be guards or policemen out there. I am so glad you are okay and I feel terribly for the college student. That is insane.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

mortega31686
#36re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 2:09am

I am glad to hear that he had a great time tonight at the show. He deserved it after all he went through. I was there Wednesday morning as well...seems like alot of us on BWW were there that morning. Hopefully there can be a lottery instated soon. :-
-Mike

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#37re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 2:24am

That is just terrible.Hopefully a lottery instead will go into affect soon.

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#38re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 3:15am

Someone on the rush line when we went was a scalper too, Mike... someone in front of us. Because when I got to my seat for the show, the two women that came to sit in the seats next to mine bought those rush seats for $300... they were told by the kid that sold it to them that their school had gotten the tickets for a fundraiser at a deep discount. The kid also told them that the seats were 20 feet from the stage because the women were afraid the seats were too close. Quite the story.

Its terrible that that happened. Im always so glad that the arm rests on my wheelchair double as a weapon. :)

I agree a lottery would be much safer. I know fans like to be rewarded for their efforts in being the one willing to wait the longest and its difficult to make plans around something thats random but its for the best.

mortega31686
#39re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 8:32am

I knew that kid that had the "My Name Is Trouble" T-shirt on looked kinda suspicious...if I had known he was a scalper, I would have ratted him out right there!
-Mike

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#40re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 9:03am

hence why you get a concealed weapons permit .... glok 45 > punk

Really sorry to hear about that guy though.

I take it these guys were getting the tickets to scalp?

Blim99
#41re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 9:44am

Hey everyone its Brian Lim, the guy who got attacked. In response to love the emcee, your right. Being attacked and getting unconscious is not worth getting tickets to Jersey boys, but in my mind I felt glad to be alive. The guys that were online you could tell that they were trouble from the get go. Even though it sucked going through all of that a part of my mind was just glad that neither of these guys had a switchblade or a gun in their possession. As for the punch, I don't remember it at all. it happened around 8 a.m. and after that my next memory was being in the emergency room. After stitches and a negative Catscan I was released. I still really wanted to see the show because Jersey boys has touched my heart ever since I first saw it Aug 3rd 2006. ON the car ride there my head was still throbbing but after a couple tylenols it was ok. This performance was the best I ever saw, stitches and a concussion could not take that performance away from me. And yes I do remember it, I wasn't in a COMPLETE daze lol. What I'm tryin to say is that I enjoyed my time and kept and upbeat personality because what happened that morning, though really really sucked, doesn't take over the belief I have of all the good in life. Those cowards were a few rotten apples. I look at all the people that I have met in the student rush line, and they are awesome. It's great talking to the superfans like me and dissecting every line and scene. I'm going to be writing a more detailed account of the day possibly on jerseyboysblog.com and please don't think I'm trying to glorify myself as the victim here, I don't have that type of ego. I just want to give an account from my perspective and just to tell everyone that you can't let a specific few people make you scared of the future. Yeah I got stitches in my mouth and a gauze on my head, but I am not scared to stand on that line again. (even though they are discontinuing it.) And for those guys who attacked me, I certainly don't forgive them but i am sorry for them that they have to resort to those types of actions just to make a quick buck. Seriously if that's your resolution to everything then I suggest you see some sort of counselor. Everybody thank you for your thoughts.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#42re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:43am

Blim, so glad to hear you still enjoyed the show re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread) Now I am glad they are getting rid of student rush, standing room isn't so bad, esp when I find empty seats to move into during intermission :)

(happened the last two times I saw the show)

I talked to some of the actors in Jersey Boys, and while it sucks for us students that they are getting rid of student rush seats, some have expressed the view that the producers are *probably* getting rid of it because they are able to sell those seats for $100+. I highly doubt a lottery will be instated.

We can hope that in a few years when ticket sales die down a bit, a lottery can be created instead. Meanwhile, standing room ain't so bad!

mll85
#43re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 12:02pm

Blim99 glad to hear the incidnet didn't phase your spirits.

Jennifer Namo just posted a blog entry talking about what happend to you.
LAST OF THE STUDENT RUSHERS?

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#44re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/23/07 at 4:07pm

As he and others, including solid JB fans Elle and Hilary
Shout out!

Brian, I'm so glad that you're okay, and Hilary and I were so shocked and impressed that you had such a good attitude about it. I know that, had that happened to me, I'd have been in a different state of mind.

It was a pleasure meeting you (this is Elle, btw - sat behind you for the second act once Hilary and I switched seats).

Updated On: 6/23/07 at 04:07 PM

wicked_mimi
#45re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/25/07 at 12:44am

Brian, you took it like a trooper. Those of us that saw it happen were more traumatized than you were. The fact that 4 people dialed 9-1-1 at 7AM (when it was daylight and employees were at the theater) is just ridiculous. Not to mention not all of us got through... city of NY please take note of this. Also, the cops didn't take 15 minutes (as said before...) that was a slight exaggeration since it felt like 15 minutes but it was atleast 5. Plenty of time for these thugs to get away. Brian, props to you for saying you'd go back, but I never would. Even as a big JB fan, it isn't worth my safety. Not when I've seen it upwards of 10 times.

There is no way to patrol the student rush. I have read every idea people have thrown out and they are all easily beatable by these individuals. Aslong as they can get their hands on the tickets they can sell them to unsuspecting tourists. Whether they let the tourists in to see the show is another issue but the scalpers still have their money and will be able to sell them again the next day. AND, if Spring Awakening continues to become as popular as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if scalpers started relocating over there since JB rush is now over.... sad but true!

Anyone know if what orangeskittles said about RENT rush in the past was true? Did they have a cop there? It'd be awesome if JB could do that or install security cameras atleast. That was the FIRST thing the cops mentioned when they came. No cameras, no pictures, nothing.....

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#46re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/25/07 at 1:00am

Glad to hear you're all right, Brian!

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#47re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/25/07 at 1:37am

So glad to hear you're alright. You should've been invited backstage or something.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#48re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:09am

That is ridiculous. I got to the theatre at 430 and had no problem when I did thankfully. But I don't think I will ever rush again if that is how it is going to be when they bring it back. I hope they do a lottery or something.

worrell4077
#49re: BEWARE of JERSEY BOYS Rush (Not a Normal Rush Thread)
Posted: 6/25/07 at 3:13pm

Brian, I'm glad you're alright and that you didn't let what those chicken s*** a**holes did to you ruin your day.

I really hope that something either rush or a lottery gets put in place at Jersey Boys.

Videos