pixeltracker

Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?

Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?

singingperformer
#1Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:19pm

What are your thoughts? These two shows are both sung through completely and are composed by the same person.

I personally prefer Les Miserables. I'd be interested to hear what you think. Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?

thanks

RentBoy86
#2re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:22pm

I love Miss Saigon and I think it's got a beautiful score and a fairly simple storyline where as Les Miz - to me - is a complete bore with so many freakin characters and a plot that spans a lot of years.

ben4
#2re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?

I prefer Les Mis (although I think most people on this board are gonna tell you they hate both).

I love Miss Saigons score, but the subject matter is kind of silly when you think about. A musical about vietnam just somehow doesn't fit.

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#3re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?

Can we have a third choice?

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#4re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:23pm

I wish all the decisions I had to make this week were this easy! HAHA!

No question -- I like EVERYTHING about Les Mis much more than I do Miss Saigon!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#5re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:24pm

Miss Saigon hands down, les mis is awful

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Wildcard
#6re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:24pm

Miss Saigon is more relatable. Too many people die in Les Mis re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?

SporkGoddess
#7re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:29pm

Miss Saigon isn't really about Vietnam; it's just set there.

Anyway, MS all the way. Not only is it my favorite musical, LM is crammed with too many characters and stories, and will always be inferior to the novel, whereas I actually think MS improves upon its source material (Madama Butterfly) in a few ways.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#8re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:31pm

Miss Saigon has a few great songs but I love Les Miserables.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#9re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:41pm

There's no comparison. Les Miserables is a great show. Miss Saigon is.... not.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

ben4
#10re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:49pm

"Miss Saigon isn't really about Vietnam; it's just set there."- SporkGoddess

Oookay, I suppose Les Mis has nothing to do with France or the French Revolution, since that's just when it happens to take place.

Don't get me wrong, I've always had a soft spot for Miss Saigon, but I would feel a little guilty seeing it with an audience full of VA war veterans, if you know what I mean.

You see, the musical in someways exploits the tragedy of that war in order to gain sympathy for it's main characters, yet doesn't really even try to represent the reality of the situation (something I think les mis does).

Boublil and Schoenberg seemed to think it was okay to dramatize the setting the same way you would present a musical set during WWII. And while I find several scenes illuminating and beautiful(The Buidoi song, the helicopters leaving from Saigon) I can't say it does the subject matter justice.

There's no comparison really.

Les Miz is pure and heartfelt whereas Miss Saigon is only great if you can forget the subtext beneath it (and even then the music doesn't come close to matching the haunting beauty of Les Mis).

Updated On: 6/27/07 at 10:49 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:50pm

There is no comparison. Miss Saigon is a MUCH better show.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BobbyErikValjean Profile Photo
BobbyErikValjean
#12re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:51pm

I do not know much about Miss Saigon, but Les Miserables is easily one of the best shows to this date.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#13re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:52pm

Miss Saigon isn't bad, but I like Les Miserables way more.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

SporkGoddess
#14re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 10:54pm

Vietnam does pervade the show, but really the story is about the ultimate sacrifice, as the writers put it.

How does it not represent the reality of the situation? It takes place a few days before America pulls out of the war. It shows the wartorn soldiers who are disillusioned. After Saigon falls, it shows the reeducation camps, how many had to hide due to former association with the enemy, and the plight of the boat people. It shows communist propaganda. It shows how desperate people were to leave before the city did fall. It shows what happens to the kids who were the children of Vietnames women and American G.I.'s, and not really accepted. It shows how hard soldiers had adjusting after getting home from the war.

I honestly don't see how it misrepresents the history in which it is set.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#15re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:05pm

I like them both. Even Martin Guerre and The Pirate Queen so ha!

ben4
#16re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:31pm

"I honestly don't see how it misrepresents the history in which it is set."

It's not so much a misrepresentation, as much as the tone being all across the board. But then again, maybe I find this harder to stomach simply because our current generation has seen real footage from the Vietnam War whereas people in the 1940's only saw very toned down documentaries of WWII, if anything at all. Therefore my expectation for a level of realism is higher.

When I think of Vietnam, I think of those infamous pictures of young nude girls running from napalm blasts, or the photo of the man being held at gunpoint.

Seeing Jonathan Pryce singing about strippers in brown-ish makeup just felt kind of silly.

I guess in some ways, the whole idea of updating Madame Butterfly to suit Vietnam was more than a little contrived, and the entire show just remains flawed because of that.

SporkGoddess
#17re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:38pm

But, again, the musical is set when the war is ending. Also, those soldiers worked in the Embassy; they weren't in the front lines. We do get hints of the carnage of the war, however, in moments such as when Kim talks about her village being burnt.

I can agree with you about Pryce, though. The Engineer should always be played by an Asian. Same with Thuy...

Updated On: 6/27/07 at 11:38 PM

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#18re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:43pm

I agree with SporkGoddess. I don't think MISS SAIGON exploits the Vietnam war any more than LES MISERABLES exploits a student insurrection. I remember watching the show in 1991 and hearing audience members who were Vietnam vets and they were visibly moved by the show. Many of them commented that what they saw onstage accurately mirrored their lives in Vietnam and after they returned to the States. And I think the passage of time and intervening events (the first Gulf War and this debacle that the U.S. is currently embroiled in come to mind) has allowed American audiences the luxury of perspective and distance from the Vietnam war such that the Vietnam war now truly is the backdrop for MISS SAIGON, as it was always intended to be, rather than the platform by which the show was trying to make a political statement.

That being said, while LES MISERABLES will always hold a special place in my heart as that was the first Broadway show I saw, I prefer MISS SAIGON because it's ultimately an intimate show dressed in the clothes of the big poperas of the late 80's/early 90's. When you think about it, there are only six characters driving the show as opposed to ten or so. I love the score and my favorite passages of music in MISS SAIGON are the recitative portions, which are heard in between the big numbers. Also, I'm a sucker for tragic love stories, and the fact that that is the focus of MISS SAIGON, where LES MISERABLES has it as only one of its many throughlines, wins me over.

Also, MISS SAIGON brought Lea Salonga to the attention of the international artistic community. Her opening MISS SAIGON in the West End and Broadway along with her winning the awards for her role as Kim have done much in terms of instilling pride in Filipinos both here and back home, and encouraged many Asian performers to pursue their dreams to work in the theatre.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#19re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 11:59pm

I am sorry, but it terms of quality Miss Saigon is FAR superior. If you prefer Les Mis for personal reasons, fine. But the book, score, AND ESPECIALLY THE LYRICS are much better in Miss Saigon. And the cast of the original Miss Saigon was far superior to the original Broadway cast of Les Mis. Frances Rufelle's voice makes me want to scream. I personally think Les Mis is WAY overrated and is one of the worst shows ever written.

kyleorlando Profile Photo
kyleorlando
#20re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:06am

I preferred Sommersby, errrr... I mean Martin Guerre to either Miz or Miss.

Current Avatar: Me.
Current Saying: What do you mean it isn't enough being pretty? Have you seen my headshots?!?

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#21re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:07am

Les Miserables by about a thousand percent. Les Miz makes me cry every time I see it; I went into Miss Saigon expecting the same range of emotions and was left completely cold. The characters have no redeeming qualities and there is very little room for development. Great score, yes. But that alone does not make a good show.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

SporkGoddess
#22re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:09am

Miss Saigon made me cry everytime I saw it, so if we're judging it on that...

Eileen2 Profile Photo
Eileen2
#23re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:11am

Miss Saigon was a bore to me... Les Mis is still my favorite musical.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#24re: Which do you prefer - Miss Saigon or Les Miserables?
Posted: 6/28/07 at 12:11am

I just didn't care about any of the characters. The love story was thrown together so quickly that it was almost laughable. I hated Chris. Pretty much the only person in the show that I felt any sympathy toward was Ellen, the one person set up to be the "villian" (a la Raoul in Phantom).

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Videos