Andrea McArdle

broadwayguy99
#1Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:33pm

Does anyone know what she is up to? Any plans for her to return to Broadway anytime soon? What should be her next Broadway show?

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#2re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:40pm

I've been a fan of Andrea's since she was a little girl. She used to be on the soap Search for Tomorrow. I remember one day watching the Mike Douglas Show and it said she was playing Annie on Broadway-a new musical. I thought sure, a child soap opera actress, she won't be all that great. Then I heard her sing and wow! I had never heard a girl that age sing like that before. I remember a Mike Douglas Show that had her, Kristy McNichol (sp?) and Ally Sheedy- she wasn't an actress then, she had just written a book called She was Nice to Mice. It was a show about talented kids. I know she has a beautiful daughter. Anyway, I would love to see her back on Broadway- what a voice!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:44pm

Surprised she hasn't been in Mamma Mia yet. She would have made a great Grizabella in Cats, too. I'm really surprised she wasn't in that show considering she was in Andrew Lloyd Webber's, Starlight Express. She was out the day I saw "State Fair" (and she was the only reason I got tickets). But at least I saw her in the original production of Annie, and her stints in Les Miz (Fantine) and Beauty and the Beast.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#3re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:49pm

Her dream is to play Sally in Cabaret on Broadway. Maybe with the revival coming she'll get her chance.
Updated On: 6/29/07 at 11:49 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:52pm

She played Sally in the tour of Cabaret.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

ThankstoPhantom
#5re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/28/07 at 11:59pm

She was fabulous in Beauty and the Beast.

Playbill has a current article with her:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/109104.html

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

LI Larry Profile Photo
LI Larry
#6re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:01am

She is going on Rosie's cruise in July. They are doing a concert version of Annie and Rosie is playing Miss Hannigan.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:12am

Andrea did play Sally Bowles in the US Tour of the recent Sam Mendes Broadway revival of CABARET as well as regionally:

re: Andrea McArdle

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#8re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:19am

Woah, I've been watching her on the Broadway's Lost Treasures DVDs, and I didn't expect her to look like that. Trippy.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#9re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:26am

In the book "Making It On Broadway," Andrea wrote, "Believe it or not, I'll never get to do Cabaret in New York, because I'm not a "star." I waited a long time to play that role and I'll never get to do it on Broadway because I don't have a television or movie name. I find that very sad."

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#10re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:32am

Oh, Andrea...at least you got to play Sally Bowles AND in the Sam Mendes revival. Plus, you're still a working actress and not working a temp job somewhere, waiting on tables or God forbid -- retail.

Capice?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 3:35am

Andrea looks exactly the same and so does her voice which can either be a good or a bad thing.
I think she is an amazing vocalist and performer (I've never seen her acting though). Unfortunately, given the kind of people that got cast as Sally Bowles during the CABARET revival, she was right about not being able to play the role in New York. I really like her in the JERRY'S GIRLS cast recording.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

JoshuaEads Profile Photo
JoshuaEads
#12re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 10:07am

I saw her during her stint as Sally in the "Cabaret" tour. I love her, but this role was absolutely *not* suited to her talents. The voice was too strong and the character was too weak.
That being said, I adored her in "Beauty and the Beast" and, especially, as Annie Oakley when she did "AGYG" regionally a few years back.

Just my two cents. re: Andrea McArdle

My lip gloss is poppin'...
Updated On: 6/29/07 at 10:07 AM

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#13re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 11:22am

Andrea is one of my favorites too and I hope she returns to Broadway soon. Just so everybody knows, she has a myspace that is kept up to date. You can access it by going to www.myspace.com/andreamcardle.

ThankstoPhantom
#14re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 11:34am

Thanks for that Diva.

I'm listening to her "I Dreamed a Dream" on her Myspace right now...it's bringing tears to my eyes. She's has such a great skill at interpreting her songs. It is probably one of the most beautiful renditions of the song I've ever heard.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#15re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 11:44am

The last thing I know she did was a production of "Annie get your Gun" in Philadelphia about 4 months ago.

in the meantime, she makes plenty of concert appearances around the country.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 6/29/07 at 11:44 AM

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#16re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:06pm

Hey! I recognize some of those pictures! [I worked on the Ogunquit Playhouse production].

From what I remember, she was at the anniversary for Beauty and the Beast.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

GHOSTLIGHT2
#17re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/30/07 at 11:57am

Andrea is easily one of the most unappreciated performers of our time.
She has worked so much of Her life and has recieved little note for it.
I have never met Her and I know I never will,it is sad but understandable.
Still I am capable of seeing that what is not for the best is often for the best-Life is contradictory.
Andrea was the butt of jokes after Her involvement on ANNIE. Programs like SCTV lampooned Her as a desperate attention hound trying desperately to stay in the spotlight.

I have also heard Her sing "I Dreamed a Dream", it is fair when sang by other Actors.
But as ThankstoPhantom rightly said it grabs You when Andrea sings it:it bares Your hidden sadness that haunts You, that You try to avoid looking at.
Her melodic sirens song voice singing so gently those lyrics wich are so great because they are true is overwhelming.
I have heard Her sing that song a few times but I avoid listening too often,it always opens a wound.

It saddens Me that I read in this message board that She wouldn't play Sally on Broadway in CABARET because She does not believe She is a suitably well known name.
What this means is that She doesn't have enugh confidence in Herself and how unique she truly is.

How great She truly is.

Her Mom and Dad instilled a humility in Their Daughter We can only applaud that,but too much humility is as dangerouse as too little.
I believe She can do ANYTHING She were to set Her mind to,if She doesn't know that then I know a friend of Hers I have said as much to-because life is too short to not be honest about our feelings for one another.
I know more about Andreas life than I do My own but always I am learning.

People like Myself can and will never be more than they are due to the circumstances of thier lives She is as diffrent as night is from day in that regard.
When I heard She was going to play ANNIE on oDonnels cruise I remember thinking " a 43 year old woman playing a 12 year old girl She played when She was 14,that sounds like a Monty Python skit".
Is She turning into the charicature that they made of Her in the late 70s/early 80s?
It is truly painfull to say that.
She loves to perform, She NEEDS to:it is Her nature, but things will NEVER be the way they could have been.
We can only hope for the best for Her,We must love Her and Her Family and trust that things will work out well for Her because trust and faith is realy all We ever realy have.

Updated On: 7/3/07 at 11:57 AM

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#18re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/30/07 at 4:46pm

it would be fun to see her play a character likr The Drowsy Chaperone.

vitamins
#19re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/30/07 at 11:51pm

I agree. I think she could play Drowsy well.

It's so weird to see her in those corsets because she looks exactly like she did when she was little! It makes me feel awkward just looking at them!

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#20re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 6/30/07 at 11:57pm

She's also one of those performers that you hear never hear anything bad about. She's apparently delightful to work with.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#21re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 7/1/07 at 12:04am

It's so weird to see her in those corsets because she looks exactly like she did when she was little! It makes me feel awkward just looking at them!

Haha, I know!

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#22re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 7/1/07 at 12:33am

Okay Fosse,

Now you are freaking me out.

I know you have a TON of pictures, but WHERE did you get those shots from Ogunquit?!

I love her. I was her dresser in the show.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

LoringsGuy
#23re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 7/1/07 at 12:45am

Andrea has got a killer bod. Wow.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#24re: Andrea McArdle
Posted: 7/1/07 at 8:29am

i saw her as annie in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN at the prince in philly last december lol...lots of annies!

she was good, but the show lacked so much outside energy. it is interesting how her voice does sound the same. it doesn't sound bad or anything, but you can definitely tell it's the same person who was annie in annie years ago lol