1776: best recording???

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#11776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:54pm

I'm designing a production of 1776 and want to buy the cd...but which version is best?

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#2re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:57pm

I have and love both the OCR and the Revival recording. I think, perhaps, that the Revival recording is a little more complete (certainly some more dialogue is included). But the orchestrations and performances on the OCR are extraordinary. If you can afford to, get both.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#2re: 1776: best recording???

OBC

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: 1776: best recording???

There's already a thread on this, but the OBC is definitely the best. I would also suggest watching the film.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#4re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 12:59pm

I'd recommend the OBC overall due to its strong performances, but robbiej is correct in saying that the revival's recording has more enjoyable orchestrations.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#5re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 1:02pm

I much prefer the revival recording. I'm a Brent Spiner fan, and Linda Emond as Abigail is a dream.

Wicked63
#6re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 1:03pm

just stay away from the London one!! Be warned

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#7re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 1:04pm

I LOVED LOVED LOVED Emond in the show. And on the recording. But Virginia Vestoff's vocals are milk chocolatey delicious.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

#8re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 1:13pm

OBC. And get the DVD too.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 1:16pm

If you're looking for a more complete representation of the show get the revival.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#10re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 1:22pm

thanks for the advice everybody ---here is kinda a strange question...does the revival cd booklet have pics of the set inside??? I dont' like to see pictures of other sets for the show i'm designing (if i can possibly help it).

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#11re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 3:50pm

a few of the sets are in the Revival. it's not completely thorough, though. i wouldn't be too worried

CATSNYrevival
#12re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:11pm

there's one picture of the main set on the back page of the booklet, but other then that the pictures inside are mostly close-ups of the actors and don't really show much of the sets.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#13re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:24pm

Just curious to know why you don't like the London version

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#13re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:24pm

Just curious to know why you don't like the London version

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#15re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:28pm

i just got the original cast....all i can say is Betty Buckley is DIVINE.

CATSNYrevival
#16re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:41pm

I didn't even know there was a London cast recording. Is this common knowledge?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:42pm

OBC

Poster Emeritus

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#18re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 6:09pm

The London production was a fast flop. TYeh London cast album was issued by EMI on LP but quickly went out of print. A good friend of mine recently tracked one down on E-bay. He won't tell me what he paid for it though. It's a verry good recording.

The best is the film soundtrack (also ONLY on Lp) because it has Howard DaSilva as Franklin. DaSilva was in the original cast but missed the recording session due to a heart attack. The film soundtrack album, however, does not include Cool Cool Considerate Men which was cut from the original release of the film. It has been restored for the DVD, so you can hear it there. Maybe Sony will release the film soundtrack on CD and add the song.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

gymdudeva
#19re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 7:09pm

Slightly off topic, but here is what IMDB says about why Cool Cool Considerate Men was removed from the film. Unbelievable!

President Richard Nixon was given a private screening of the movie before its release by his friend Jack L. Warner, the producer. The song "Cool, Considerate Men" offended Nixon, so Warner removed it at his request. The song was restored on the Deluxe Widescreen Presentation Laserdisc (and was included on the DVD).

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#20re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 7:13pm

i own both, but i play the revival one more often

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

scot Profile Photo
scot
#21re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 7:23pm

the OCR with Betty Buckley
could not be better!

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#22re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/29/07 at 10:26pm

i don't believe that NIXON story. they don't mention any such thing on the DVD commentary.

RIP glebby <3

andyf
#23re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/30/07 at 12:40am

If you don't pick the Buckley recording, you'll get your Gay card taken away.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#24re: 1776: best recording???
Posted: 6/30/07 at 12:44am

I love the woman who plays Martha Jefferson on the London recording. I think she sings it the best. Buckley's always been a little too belty for me. "AAND EVEERRR TWILL BEEEEEEEEEEEE-E-E-E-E!!!!!" As for the others, the film soundtrack is great (I've found recordings of the songs and burned a complete CD), but I'd always choose the OBC over the revival. I mean, Pat Hingle kills me. I also much prefer William Daniels' trumpeting to Brent Spiner's vibrato heavy classical sound, as well as Virginia Vestoff to Linda Emond. Molasses to Rum is endlessly better on the revival album but the best recording is John Cullum on the soundtrack.

Frontrow, I have a recording of Cool, Cool, Considerate Men from the film. Updated On: 6/30/07 at 12:44 AM