pixeltracker

Listen to the CD or See the Show First?

Listen to the CD or See the Show First?

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#1Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:09pm

I have a question: Would you rather buy the album and get familiar with the show first before seeing it? or see the show and then get the CD?

I was just thinking about Avenue Q and how I had the CD months before i saw the show and when i saw the show i already knew all the jokes, so i didn't find it as funny as most people did. But with Drowsy Chaperone I only really knew one song from the show and when i saw the show i thought it was one of the funniest I've had seen, and I warmed up to the album a lot more.

What's your preference?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#2re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:12pm

It depends. Like you, I'd had the Ave Q cast album for a while, and the show was really a let-down for me.

Drowsy I knew nothing about and hadn't heard any of the music before seeing it, and I LOVED it.

Curtains I bought the cast recording before seeing it, and that seemed to enhance the experience for me.

So I've had one of each. I think it really depends on the musical.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#2re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:13pm

i;m on the fence about this, its nice to get the CD first to see if you like the music, and if you do, then you get really into it and its really cool when you see a show when its still on your ipod's playlist and you are really into the music.

Although it is also nice to go without knowing the show and being plesantly suprised. However, as has happened, i hated the show and if i listened to the CD first i probably would not have wasted all that $$$ on a ticket. not to mention these days i hardly like any of the music on first hearing it and have to get used to it.

anyways, im trying that this summer for purple and spamalot, not knowing anything about the music (or plot in the case of spamalot)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#3re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:13pm

It depends on the piece...

I think for comedies, you might want to see the show FIRST, and then purchase the cast alubm (if applicable, of course). Whereas, for more 'moving' pieces, you'd want to (maybe) buy the cast album first - if only to grow more accustomed to the way the music is presented (pertaining mostly to telling the story and enhancing the plot), THEN seeing the show, seeing how it all adds up in the end.

Best Wishes,
- Mike re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#4re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:18pm

I always prefer to see the show first.

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#5re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:19pm

I've often had the cast album of a show before I've seen it. For me it makes the live performance more interesting and fresh like going to see a band/singer live.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#6re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:24pm

Me too !

OBCR first-I tend not to appreciate the show when I have not heard anything from it- like what happened to "In the Heights" when I saw it... If I heard the demo first , most likely I will have a different experience..re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?

J*

Updated On: 7/26/07 at 04:24 PM

nyc44
#7re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:28pm

I wish I had the self-discipline to see a show without knowing everything about it first. *sigh*

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#8re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:34pm

Me too.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#9re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:36pm

It depends for me. I have seen shows after falling in love with the Cast Recording first, and still adored the shows.

The only CR I have that I refuse to listen to before seeing the show is Avenue Q.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#10re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:37pm

If I can help it, always see the show first.

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#11re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 4:48pm

A down side to having the cast recording first is you already know the story and whats going to happen, thats like reading the script before seeing a movie.

I don't know, there are good points for both sides.

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#12re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:03pm

I usually get the cast album first, for the simple reason that I only get to see a few Bway shows a year and I want to make sure I'm going to like the show that I pick out to see. I make it a point not to get too cozy with the music before I see the show- I try to get it so I can hum along a little and know some of the words, but not to the point that I could go up there and sing the songs myself. Then, I try not to listen to the music for a few weeks before.

I like knowing some of the story (but not all of it) and the characters first. It makes theatre a very lazy experience and gives me room to see the little details instead of figuring out who's who.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#13re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:15pm

If I had to choose I'd pick to see the show first then if you like how the music and the cast sound, then get the recording.

broadwaybaby086
#14re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:21pm

Now that I live here, show first. I would have always preferred that, but being a minor in another state didn't always afford such opportunities. I love seeing the show first so that when you listen to the CR you can attach the memories and the initial reactions from what you've heard, or recall what you've just seen through your listening experience.

A recent example is that when I saw 110, I wasn't crazy about it, but I got the CR and listened to it, and remembered the staging and thought about the performances again. Listening to the music was the sole I went back to see it again!

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:24pm

See the show first. DUH! That way there are no expectations and the show is a complete surprise.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Night707 Profile Photo
Night707
#16re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:27pm

I tend to listen first because you know which song is which and you become much more familiar with the show. re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?

:D

uhkthxbye2 Profile Photo
uhkthxbye2
#17re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:31pm

I almost always watch the show first and then buy the soundtrack and a poster after (it's kinda my "thing"). Did it for A Chorus Line, Spelling Bee, Gypsy ... I think especially for Spelling Bee, if I had bought and listened to the soundtrack first, I wouldn't have found it nearly as funny (or heartbreaking, in the case of The I Love You Song). Also, I had heard only Totally F*cked from Spring Awakening before seeing it but was completely confused as to how it fit into the show, so ... ::shrug:: My vote's for show first.

Gangway, world, get off of my runway.
- Mama Rose, Gypsy

A bird cage I plan to hang,
I'll get to that someday...
A bird cage for a bird who flew away
Around the world.
- Edie, Grey Gardens

sarab Profile Photo
sarab
#18re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:03pm

I see the show first.

Follow your bliss! I love Will Chase! I love Lisa Brescia! I love Stephanie J. Block!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#19re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:05pm

As I don't get to see many Broadway shows a year, I always listen to the CD first. I want to make sure what I'm seeing is good.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#20re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:07pm

I live in Michigan, so given that our theatre scene isn't exactly "rocking" here -- it's definitely the albums for me.

LovinGoodMusicals
#21re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 6:59pm

Considering I live in Illinois and have never gotten the chance to go to New York to see a Broadway show, I have to get the cast recordings first.

guymy13 Profile Photo
guymy13
#22re: Listen to the CD or See the Show First?
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:47pm

I was going to write almost the same thing as jordangirl. It depends on the show. Drowsy Chaperone, I loved having never heard any of the music. I saw Curtains twice. First on opening night, and I thought it was only okay. I went back after having bought the cast recording and enjoyed it much, much more. In general though, I think I enjoy the shows more if I know some of the music going in.