pixeltracker

Who did you see before they were famous??- Page 5

Who did you see before they were famous??

RoseStopnikCooks Profile Photo
RoseStopnikCooks
#100re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:20pm

Jai Rodriguez went to my performing arts high school, Nassau BOCES Cultural Arts Center in Syosset on Long Island.

lisaspo Profile Photo
lisaspo
#101re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:29pm

Kristin Bell in Reefer Madness.

I didn't even recognize her when I first started watching Veronica Mars, but, when I was cleaning up my Playbills, I noticed her name.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#102re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:38pm

Updated On: 2/29/08 at 02:38 PM

tgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
#103re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:52pm

In 1983 Gary Sinise directed a Steppenwolf production of The Miss Firecracker Contest featuring ensemble members Joan Allen, and Laurie Metcalf with Glenne Headly. It was an incredible night in the theatre.

timmmmmmmmmy

bestfreakinshoes
#104re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 2/22/08 at 2:58pm

Not regional, but I saw Christian Borle when he was in Millie.

A bunch of Blonde folks in PaperMill's Grease: Leslie Kritzer, Becky Gulsvig, Noah Weisberg

tgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
#105re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:10pm

Jennifer Hudson in Big River at Mariott Theatre. The year was 2001.

timmmmmmmmmy

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#106re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:22pm

Jonathan Groff in IN MY LIFE

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#107re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 2/22/08 at 4:24pm

Shoshana Bean and John Hill in the ensemble of Hairspray
Kevin Cahoon as Ed ("the retarded hienna") in The Lion King

strelimyn Profile Photo
strelimyn
#108re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 1:19am

A woman I work with just let me borrow a tape of a production of "Company" 26 years ago in which she starred alongside Isabel Keating as Joanne. A fantastic portrayal!

sumladfrompa.tumblr.com

WishingOnlyWounds2
#109re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 1:26am

Julie Reiber as Elphaba in Wicked...

In a few years, that is going to go so well with this thread.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#110re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 1:42am

Fun thread!

Updated On: 1/17/09 at 01:42 AM

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#111re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 1:55am

Aaron Lazar in Chamberlain.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#112re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 4:53am

Hugh Jackman in Oklahoma.
Catherine Zeta Jones in 42nd Street.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#113re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 7:02am

Oh, this list is going to date me. I'm not including people I saw in the chorus. It was helpful going through the other posts first to remind me of some people, although lots of posters are listing actors who aren't remotely famous (except to people who post on theatre chat boards) or who already were pretty established by the time they saw them. If someone had already won a Tony by the time I saw him, that person don't count.

Still, I suppose a few of the people I've listed aren't all that famous. I don't consider John Cameron Mitchell or Carolee Carmello to be famous, but I guess people here do (since others mentioned them), so I included them.

Meryl Streep (New York debut in Trelawney of the Wells and a whole lotta early stuff)
Dianne Wiest (understudy in Happy Birthday, Wanda June and Miranda in The Tempest at Stratford)
Kristin Chenoweth (New York debut in Scapin)
Patti LuPone (Next Time I'll Sing to You and The Robber Bridegroom)
Ted Danson (replacement in The Real Inspector Hound)
Christine Baranski (A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Delacorte)
Jane Krakowski (Fredrika in A Little Night Music at York)
Malcolm Gets (Merrily We Roll Along at York)
Carolee Carmello (Oolie/Donna in City of Angels)
Phillip Seymour Hoffman (The Skriker)
Robert Sean Leonard (The Speed of Darkness)
Richard Schiff (college productions)
Kate Burton (Williamstown, 1980)
David Hyde Pierce (Williamston, 1980, and then a whole bunch of early New York stage work)
Zeljko Ivanek (Williamstown, 1980)
Tonya Pinkins (Merrily We Roll Along)
Harvey Fierstein (original productions of The International Stud and Fugue in a Nursery)
Jonathan Groff (community theatre productions)
Kevin Spacey (Long Day's Journey Into Night)
Peter Gallagher (A Doll's Life)
Mandy Patinkin (Trelawney of the Wells)
Kevin Kline (The Robber Bridegroom)
Debra Messing (Collected Stories)
Georgia Engel (Hello, Dolly!)
John Lithgow (The Changing Room. Breaking my own rule about not listing someone who'd won a Tony by that time.)
Stephen Pasquale (Spinning Into Butter and The Spitfire Grill)
Christian Slater (Landscape of the Body at Second Stage)
William Hurt (a bunch of stuff at Circle Rep)
Kelly Bishop (A Chorus Line. I'm counting her saw I saw it several times at the Public, well before she won the Tony.)
Mark Ruffalo (This Is Our Youth)
Cynthia Nixon (Lydee Breeze, The Philadelphia Story and The Real Thing)
Christine Ebersole (Agnes in On the Twentieth Century)
Ian McKellen (stuff with The Actors' Company, though by that time he was already known in England)
Richard Gere (Killer's Head)
Danny de Vito (The Merry Wives of Windsor at the Delacorte)
Kristin Johnston (The Lights)
Christopher Lloyd (romping around naked in Total Eclipse
Linda Lavin (It's a Bird ... It's a Plane ... It's Superman!)
T.R. Knight (The Lime Tree Bower)
Debbie Allen (Raisin)

I'm sure there are lots of people I'm forgetting.

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#114re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 8:03am

Eden Espinosa (Nessa understudy in Wicked)

Probably some others too

dg22894
#115re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 11:00am

Sutton Foster as Eponine
Seirra Bogess(sp) as Cossete(sp) she was an understudy too

Cearsgk Profile Photo
Cearsgk
#116re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 11:12am

Yes, indeed. We have often said that if we got out our old Playbills there might be some real surprises. I mean folks we are well aware of now that we didn't even realize we saw then.

"It ain't no myst'ry If it's politics or hist'ry The thing you gotta know is Ev'rything is show biz" - Mel Brooks

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#117re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 11:58am

Very true. I'd saved my Real Inspector Hound playbill because Lenny Baker was in the cast. A year or two ago I had occasion to look through it and saw that Ted Danson had been in the cast. It must have been a very long time since I'd looked at it.

I should add Betty Buckley in 1776 to my list.

My parents actually saw Shirley MacLaine go on for Carol Haney.

JasonM12480
#118re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 1:00pm

While I didn't see her live, I remember when Sherie Renee Scott played April O'Neill in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Coming Out of Our Shells" rock concert tour. It was taped at Madison Square Garden, and I still have the video to this day. I remember being a young kid, thinking "This girl has an amazing voice!", and now as an adult looking back going "Wait - was that....it was Sherie Renee Scott!!"

I also went to high school with Crystal Monee Hall, who's star is rising on the New York cabaret scene, and she was in RENT before it closed, has sung with Scott Alan, etc.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#119re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 1:23pm

This isn't that good, but I saw Beth Leavel as Dorothy Brock in the 42nd Street revival. I don't know how well known she was considered back than but you can imagine my surprise a few years later when The Drowsy Chaperone opened. I remember when I saw 42nd Street I turned to my mom and said, wow Dorothy Brock is really good, and now I kick myself for not appreciating her performance even more.

Jon
#120re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 2:58pm

My dad was in THE FANTASTICKS in 1982 with Megan Mullally as The Girl. My dad played The Boy's Father. The Narrator was Robert Conrad (of "Wild, Wild West" fame).

Also, actor Michael Shannon (currently featured in the movie "Revolutionary Road") made his professional debut at our theatre when he was 16. There's a big feature article on him in the latest issue of New York Magazine, and he talks about it.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#121re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 3:11pm

Sometimes I go down to our basement storage area, and I go through the small stack of old theatre programmes. I personally saw Lara Pulver in Honk!, a great many years before the London premiere of Parade. My mother and sister saw Miss Saigon with a very young Naoko Mori now of Torchwood fame. That might have been the show that had Craig Horwood in it, before he sprouted Revel as a middle name and started judging celebrities doing ballroom dancing on television. I think the best one is the pantomime where the ingenue was a young girl called Denise Outen. That makes me laugh quite a bit. XD

The problem with being a theatre fan is that I'm a really bad judge of fame. I'll be sitting watching, say, Fringe with my family, and then I get really excited and start shouting "OMG IT'S MICHAEL CERVERVIS OMG OMG OMG!". And they all go "... who?". Or I'll say to friends "YOU NEVER TOLD ME SUTTON FOSTER WAS IN FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS!". And they go "... who?". :/

I mean, I saw Edward Bennett in three plays before his current high-ish-profile season at the RSC, but who other than obsessive theatre fans are going to go "of course, David Tennant's understudy!"? *shrugs*

Who knows? Who. Knows? ^_^

Oh, but I bought the video of the National's Oklahoma! before Hugh Jackman was ever announced for Wolverine, so that... almost counts? If I'd joined my theatre group at the time a few months earlier, I'd've gone to see the show properly with 'em, so yeah, it almost counts. XD

Updated On: 1/17/09 at 03:11 PM

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#122re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 3:37pm

I saw Martha Plimpton as Laura Wingfield in The Glass Menagerie at Steppenwolf about 10 years ago. It was of course post-Goonies, but before all of her Broadway success.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#123re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 3:56pm

The first national tour of The Secret Garden featured then unknowns: Audra McDonald, Roger Bart, Douglas Sills and James Barbour.

I saw Lacey Chabert as Young Cosette back in the day, before she was on Party of Five, but I just realized that a couple years back.

WhenURScrap Profile Photo
WhenURScrap
#124re: Who did you see before they were famous??
Posted: 1/17/09 at 5:16pm

I saw Ashley Spencer in a Community Theatre production of Children of Eden. She isn't FAMOUS but she's on her way.

Videos