pixeltracker

Little Women the Musical, What happened!??

Little Women the Musical, What happened!??

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#1Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:06am

Ok... I saw this show at a university a week ago and I fell in love with the music and the script!
Now, what happened to the broadway run? From what I could tell, they had a pretty awesome cast!

Anyone have a theory?

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#2re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:18am

Like the majority of new Broadway musicals, it flopped.

Like the majority of flops, the cast wasn't to blame in the slightest.

Read Ben Brantley's review for a truckload of insight:

http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=9902E0D91E38F937A15752C0A9639C8B63&fta=y

A lot of critics (and presumably, audiences) had trouble with the general shoehorning of plot and characters that he illustrates in his review. And the show was given stiff competition that season by a slew of new, successful musicals like Spamalot, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Light in the Piazza, and Spelling Bee.

Also, the schoolgirl audiences that the producers were courting didn't seem to like 'girlpower' so much when it was surrounded by a small cast, minimal production values (comparatively), and a less modern- sounding score than Wicked.

With all that said, I loved the score the first time I heard it in the theatre, and have loved it more and more upon repeat listenings. The friends I was with enjoyed themselves, but wrinkled their noses at the sentimental direction, and everyone agreed it was a C+ Broadway musical.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Juliash Profile Photo
Juliash
#3re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:29am

I played Meg in it regionally. I grew to love it but the script is actually terrible and it takes good people to really make it seem not crappy. When good actors do it right, its a nice show. I love the music, theres nothing wrong with it.

My theory is that it just technically produced badly. I didn't see it though so I wouldn't actually know.

When I did it, we did it in a tiny theatre where we were really close to the audience with entrances and exits through the aisles and stuff. It was intimate and it worked because its really about one family and your looking into their lives and its not a big song and dance ACL extravaganza. So I don't think it would work if you saw it in oh say....the New Amsterdam or something (I don't even know what theatre it was in so I could be dead wrong still). It's the kind of show where if you see it from the 2nd row, it has a totally different impact then if you saw it from the 52nd row. Make sense?

I know what you mean though because I loved the girls I was in it with and I'm from around Concord MA so when people don't like the musical, I don't get it.....

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#4re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 1:11am

"big song and dance ACL extravaganza"

ACL is not the quintessential 'big song and dance extravaganza' by any means. Have you ever seen it? It is 17 actors onstage in rehearsal clothing, surrounded by blackness and no sets. This is why many people who saw the original run at the Public, off- broadway, say that they preferred that venue to the Shubert.

If you would like to point out an example of a 'big song and dance extravaganza' that Little Women is the opposite of, you might point to:
42nd Street, with its cast of 48, filled with showgirls and giant dimes and set pieces and dances.
Or the currently running...
The Phantom of the Opera, The Lion King, or Wicked, all with casts over 30 and giant production values.

Little Women played at the Virginia Theatre, which is now the August Wilson. A medium- sized Broadway house, it now is home to a little (literally) show called Jersey Boys, which only has 13 cast members, but has proven a big hit. Little Women had 10 cast members, a comparable amount. This is veritable proof that the cast and show size were not the main issue in the show not becoming a hit.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

fxy2003cmu Profile Photo
fxy2003cmu
#5re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 1:51am

Hey Broadway_Bound...did you by any chance see the production at Central? Because I saw it and as much as I love the music, I thought it was terrible. Select parts were good, but I felt like everyone was terribly miscast and they didn't have the huge prescence that the piece requires. I go to central and I saw Urinetown last year and it was awesome but this just did NOT cut it for me.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#6re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 2:21am

It was the last show I was interested in seeing but I went and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The score was good and the book was just fine - contrary to some opinions above. The problem was one of perception. They couldn't get the aging Broadway audience to come see a show called Little Women.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

TheEnchantedHunter
#7re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 2:25am

The less said about the writing and the abysmal direction (i.e. the feminized, desexed casting of the male romantic leads, etc) of this show, the better.

This absurd little show was doomed from the start.

Vivian Darkbloom
Ramsdale, New England

Updated On: 11/6/09 at 02:25 AM

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#8re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:00am

theenchantedhunter - i couldn't agree more.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#9re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:06am

..and it was as boreing as hell.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#10re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:17am

i had a problem with the book as well. the storyline is NOT to blame and i actually loved the score a lot more than i thought i would've. i just couldn't get past the fact that NO ONE seemed to age as the story went on and the script kept trying to assure us that they had.

SUCH a snoozefest with some great diva numbers. no doubt the songs will come back to visit us in cabaret performances

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#11re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:25am

I saw the tour in DC. The show was dreadful and boring.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#12re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:10am

I loved it. However, I had only seen one other Broadway show prior to that, so maybe that had something to do with it.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Mattbrain
#13re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:16am

Oh, dear God, I'm actually agreeing with TheEnchantedHunter. It's the end of the world!!!!!!

No, but seriously, the score is totally generic. I never saw the show so I can't particularly judge the book but it seemed like they were bursting into song every few seconds. I actually grew to like three songs from the show but I am honestly the kind of guy who heads for the hills upon any mention of something called "Little Women". I've got friends who are huge fans of the show and quite frankly, I just don't see what they see in it.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

CJR
#14re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:20am

TheEnchantedHunter, I was a part of this show..... you are spot on with your assessment of why it failed.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#15re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:48pm

I never even read the book but found myself agreeing with a lot of what The Enchanted Hunter said. re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!?? It's just not that great a show. A really good cast can mask that, but only for so long.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 5:59pm

It flopped.

It was enjoyable but merely enjoyable don't cut it these days on Broadway.

Poster Emeritus

gypsy4
#17re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 7:45pm

The National tour was amazing I actualy attended the closing performace it closed in Portland,Oregon maureen mcgovern was
fantastic and there was an understudy for jo and she was stellar
i believe they are relaunching it this summer.

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#18re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:01pm

It was a paint by numbers show. The music was fine--not great but a pleasant listen--but it felt if they were inserted into the libretto long before the libretto was written.

The alterations to the source material also proved disastrous. Any mild LITTLE WOMEN fan wonders why they sent them off to the seashore and missed out on the beauty of Beth's death.

I would also say the casting of an adult as young Amy threw off the tender balance of the sisters because 99% of the time, when you have an adult playing a child, you get a caricature instead of a real character.

I love my CD, but watching the show on tour was underwhelming.
Broadway Blog: Enchanted (Spoiler Free)

ashley0139
#19re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:08pm

I saw it on Broadway and on tour. I really enjoy the music. I think it is beautiful. The show itself was just... boring. It really helped its case on Broadway by boasting an amazing cast- Sutton, Maureen, and Megan McGinnis. On tour it was much less entertaining.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:13pm

The score is incredibly generic but at the same time I wonder if any other adaptation of the novel could have been better. To me, it is the best job that could have been done with the source material. While I enjoy LITTLE WOMEN as a novel, it doesn't scream musical theater to me, it's so episodic and long (especially if you want to include both parts as the musical decided to do) that unless the whole novel had been deconstructed and re-invented, I doubt that it could have worked any better with a different score/libretto.
The cast recording isn't THAT bad. Sutton Foster was the right choice for Jo and although for some reason they make her scream incredibly loud, she makes the CD worthy of listening to.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#21re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:32pm

Little Women is one of my favorite books over the years, and I was happy to see a musicalized version of it when it was on Broadway. I was sorry to see it come and go so fast, especially with Maureen McGovern and Sutton Foster doing such amazing jobs I thought. "Astonishing" was great, but I thought Maureen McGovern brought the house down with "Days of Plenty"

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#22re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:34pm

The musical did kind of take it for granted that everyone was familiar with the novel. But hey, I love me some Louisa May Alcott.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#23re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:48pm

I never read the book or saw the movie prior to seeing Little Women the musical. My mom and I went to go see it and I found it really boring. I didn't really follow the plot, and none of the songs stood out to me besides 'Astonishing'. My mom LOVED it though, and raved about it for about an hour after we saw it.

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#24re: Little Women the Musical, What happened!??
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:06am

Frankly, the show was not the best.I completely agree with The Enchanted Hunter.

However, the soundtrack is really thrilling. It really transports you into the story, more so than the show itself. I recommend it.