pixeltracker

Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?

Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 1:08pm

I just got back from seeing Poppins again last night. However, it was the first time I saw the show with Walker in the role instead of Brown. I was wondering what you thought as to who is better?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 1:24pm

Never seen Catherine Walker, but have a hard time imagining her topping Ashley Brown.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#3re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 1:53pm

Haven't seen Catherine, but I sure love Ashley Brown!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

ashley0139
#4re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 2:18pm

I haven't seen Ashley, but I thought Catherine Walker was phenomenal. I was disappointed to not see Ashley, but Catherine had an amazing voice and perfect acting.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#5re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 2:19pm

Hey, WINSTON....what did YOU think??

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 6:35pm

FYI, Catherine Walker is on this entire weekend, according to the Broadway understudies site.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#8re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 8:22pm

I too have to join the list of people of haven't seen Catherine, but I did see Ashley Brown, and was VERY impressed with her sassy yet kind performance.

I'm still pretty pissed though that LBB got a Tony Nom over Ashley Brown...

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

seymour krelborn Profile Photo
seymour krelborn
#9re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 8:34pm

I like Ashley Brown as Mary Poppins, but I LOVED Catherine in th part. She was phenomenal.

xanafanadu2
#10re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/26/08 at 10:33pm

I never saw Catherine Walker but I did see Ashley Brown and she was great. I can't see how she can be better than her..
Updated On: 1/26/08 at 10:33 PM

Annie3 Profile Photo
Annie3
#11re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 1/27/08 at 12:22am

I am going to have to go with Catherine Walker. She was amazing!

~Annie~

SpotlightAnnie
#12re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/3/08 at 12:27pm

I saw Ashley Brown when I went to the show with my husband last year. I saw Catherine Walker when I took my niece recently. I think Catherine Walker turned a good show into a great show. She has a glorious voice; but mostly I believed that, even though she is feisty and strict, her Mary Poppins really loves the children and cares about the Banks family. I was really moved, and it made such a difference in how I felt about the whole show.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#13re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/3/08 at 12:30pm

HA! I thought you meant Catherine Walker the Fifth. I was gonna ask you what you were smoking, and if I could have some.

ANYHOO

I've seen both. I actually prefer Catherine Walker.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#14re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/3/08 at 12:55pm

I liked Ashley, but was also hoping I'd catch Catherine Walker in the title role the last time I saw it.

One thing I'd really like is if they cut the song, "Being Mrs. Banks". "Being Dull and Boring" is more like it.

myfairlad2
#15re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/3/08 at 12:55pm

I saw both Walker and Brown perform the role of Mary Poppins.
Over all, I liked Walker's take on the role better than Brown's. Her nuance's in the character development made her Mary "real". Her immersion in the role caused her fellow actors to become more engaged in the interchanges that they had with Mary.Thus raising the quality level of the production. Both young ladies have fine singing voices. I preferred the purity and clarity of Walker's voice. Both did equally well in the dance numbers. If I was going to see the show again, i would want to see Walker in the role.

myfairlad2
#16re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/5/08 at 10:11am

FYI
Catherine Walker's schedule his week in "Mary Poppins".
http://www.broadwayunderstudies.com/dates.php

Muhlethaler
#17re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/5/08 at 10:51am

Updated On: 6/18/20 at 10:51 AM

SpotlightAnnie
#18re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/8/08 at 2:16am

Sir Winston ~ You're posts are always intellectual and enlightening. What say you, in answer to your own question?

gilliane Profile Photo
gilliane
#19re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/8/08 at 10:09am

Well I've never seen Catherine Walker, but I thought Ashley Brown was awful (worst English accent ever) so I have to think she would be better.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#20re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/8/08 at 11:48pm

If Ashley Brown is doing the concert in FL tomorrow night, is Catherine going on for her this weekend as well?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#21re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/9/08 at 1:19am

I didn't see Catherine, but heard amazing things about her and would like to see her in the role. Ashley Brown was amazing though, and I love her voice. I wish I had caught her in Beauty and the Beast.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

mijofly19
#22re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/9/08 at 12:01pm

I saw Mary Poppins for the first time last night and Catherine Walker was on. I have never seen Ashley but I must say that Catherine was very good.

fbueller
#23re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/9/08 at 2:52pm

Catherine. Ashley shold pursue the lead role in an upcoming production of Walt Disney's Pinochio!

BillBoh
#24re: Catherine Walker V Ashley Brown who do you think is a better Poppins?
Posted: 2/12/08 at 10:12am

This is VERY interesting!
I saw Mary Poppins on January 25th. and Catherine Walker was performing the role of Mary. I had seen the show last year with friends, and Ashley was performing. I thought the show was great, and the effects were phenomenal, especially at the end!(You know what I'm talking about) I knew the kids would get a kick out of the show, which is why we all went to see it more recently.
Honestly, when I first heard that Ashley was NOT going to be performing as Mary, I was a bit disappointed (naturally, she's the headliner).

I did't bring to anybody's attention the fact that the "Real Mary Poppins" was not performing that night, I didn't want to take away from the show, and I sat back and hoped for the best.
Well, the BEST is what we got!
Catherine was perfect! I really loved her. She just seemed... warm? That's the best way I can describe the difference between her take on the role vs. Ashley's.
Catherine has the voice of an angel, and carried herself with poise and confidence. She's also a beautiful girl.
The only thing that told you she was the understudy is the program.
I agree with the comment below about her seeming to truely care for the children and the family. She maintained the stern edge, while showing a bit of warmth that really made you love her.
Disney really can't lose with this show. No matter which one is performing the lead in the show, the audience is in for a treat.
I'll be keeping my eye on Catherine Walker's career, and be sure to pop in the next theater that has her name up in lights. As part of my recent infatuation with her, I tracked down Catherine's web site.

Right there on the main page they list when she will be performing as Mary again! So if you loved the show, and haven't seen Catherine as Mary yet, go check her out!
Catherine Walker's Web site

Videos