pixeltracker

Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#1Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/13/08 at 8:13pm

PBS' Great Performances' telecast of John Doyle's COMPANY has a webpage.

Here it is: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/company/index.html

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#2re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/13/08 at 8:16pm

My God, it really is MARRIED COUPLES OF THE DAMNED!

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum
Updated On: 2/13/08 at 08:16 PM

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#2re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/13/08 at 8:20pm

I only saw the show once, but there were more people on that stage than I remember...

::bust a move::

carolineorchange Profile Photo
carolineorchange
#3re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/13/08 at 8:53pm

Can't wait for this. It'll be interesting to see how it looks on screen. Theatre is always weird on film, let alone people playing instruments...

http://50footrule.blogspot.com

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/13/08 at 9:23pm

The tempo is so sloooow!!

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#5re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:26am

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

The stage looks so small in the video clip.
I remember it feeling so large up close. This will be fun to watch on television! I can't wait to relive it!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#6re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:36am

Looking so forward to this!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

The White Half-Mask Profile Photo
The White Half-Mask
#7re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:42am

Can't wait! About a week to go now!

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#8re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:58am

WOW! Awesome filming!!!

So, who has a GIANT house in the Hamptons where we can just have truck-loads of people come over to watch and sip cocktails?
Updated On: 2/14/08 at 12:58 AM

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#9re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 11:19am

When did Heather Laws' dress change?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#10re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 11:26am

PBS put 2 previews on their podcast. I watched them yesterday. Can't wait for next week. I couldn't get to NYC to see the show. In the "What Would We Do..." preview I wasn't too keen on the camera work. I guess "Bobby" is making faces and gestures during the song and while the camera is focused on someone else you hear laughter and then a few times you see his gestures and I figured that's what the audience was laughing at.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 2/14/08 at 11:26 AM

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#11re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:02pm

I'm with ya UNCAGEG!

The camera work will be the true test of whether this is AWESOME or just great!

I hate that every new producer seems to have gone to the MTV school of "hyper-editing"! The damn shows are exciting enough - stop trying to re-invent them with constant camera moving and 80 cuts per minute! HAHA!

I love that we will get some great close-ups, but I don;t want the camera movements making people sea-sick!

You're all invited over to my place! PBS in HD! Who'da ever thought?!?!?!

BRING ON THE COMPANY!!!

:)

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#12re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:14pm

It's really not "hyper-edited" at all, especially in the sense that Legally Blonde was. There are a few moments I have quibbles with, but more because I know the production so well than because of flaws in the editing. They're not things you would pick up unless you had seen the show many, many times. There are a few moments that I think people are going to find awkwardly shot, or whatever, but the editing is in no way nearly as distracting as what MTV did to Legally Blonde. Lonny Price knows what he's doing, and it's evident that this, unlike Legally Blonde (the camera angles in which were, yes, sea-sickness-inducing), was put together by people who really understand musical theater.

The best thing I can say about the way it turned out is that almost makes you feel like you're back in the theater again. And trust me, I had really high expectations.

So relax. re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!! And don't judge the entire thing before you see it based on a handful of clips. It's just going to make you unnecessarily neurotic.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 2/14/08 at 12:14 PM

BrodyFosse123
#13re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:21pm

unnecessarily neurotic

on THIS board? You MUST be joking?! re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#14re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:26pm

Sometimes it's as though we want to worry. Not that I'm not guilty as charged... re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:37pm

I am not judging the entire thing before I see it. And I am sure I am going to enjoy it. It was just something I picked up on. And even having not seen it live, It was something that I noticed. But I am with Dancin'. Just from the 3 clips I have seen of the PBS broadcast, I hope the entire show isn't shot like that. But then again, it may work. Either way, I will be in front of my TV with a bottle of good wine and some good food watching it!

Just give the world Love.

philcrosby
#16re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/14/08 at 12:42pm

Looks a lot like a marching band concert.

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#17re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/15/08 at 8:20pm

I like how in the opening the shot focuses on whoever is talking and then Raul's response. And then you have that fade in the back so they can show both.

So excited for this. Does anyone know if its going to be interrupted by constant pledge pleas?

musicalfan07 Profile Photo
musicalfan07
#18re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/17/08 at 9:02am

For anyone intrested, you can see the DVD cover here: http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=67766

BrodyFosse123
#19re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/17/08 at 9:58am

Sooo much easier THIS way:

re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!

TECHNICAL SPECS:
COLOR: Yes
LENGTH: 131 minutes
LANGUAGE: English
WIDESCREEN: Enhanced for 16x9 TVs
AUDIO FORMAT: Dolby Digital 5.1
DVD LAYERING: Dual
DISCS: 1
FORMAT: DVD
ASPECT RATIO: 1.78:1

SPECIAL FEATURES:
An Audience with Stephan Sondheim
Video Interview with Raul Esparza
Video Interview with John Doyle

PRODUCT INFORMATION:
SUB-GENRE: Theater
Year: 2007
Rating: Not Rated
CAT#: ID4480EKDVD
Release Date: 05/20/08

SYNOPSIS:
Winner of the 2007 Tony Award! Sweeping all the major theater awards for Best Revival of a Musical, a beloved era-defining classic is stunningly reinvented in this powerful Broadway production, featuring an explosive starring performance by Raul Esparza. Set in modern upper-crust Manhattan, Company is a funny, sophisticated exploration of love and commitment as seen through the eyes of a charming perpetual bachelor questioning his single state and his enthusiastically married, slightly envious friends. With a wise and witty Stephen Sondheim score including "Another Hundred People," "Side by Side by Side," "The Ladies Who Lunch" and "Being Alive," Company offers musical comedy at its finest.

CouldaWouldaShoulda Profile Photo
CouldaWouldaShoulda
#20re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:01am

I love the cover of the DVD. I actually like the black background better than the blue. This should have been the poster for the show.

"A well-rounded performer will listen to all kinds of music. I like classical, Middle Eastern, and rock a lot." -- Patti LuPone

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#21re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:11am

I'm upset to see that it's not airing in LA until the 23rd.

Stupid deer.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

#22re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:13am

I have an e-mail reminder coming the 19th so that I don't forget to watch!

BrodyFosse123
#23re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:17am

Yeah, that email and the countless threads on here even as it is airing and you'll STILL miss it. re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#24re: Great Performances' COMPANY webpage is here!!!
Posted: 2/17/08 at 6:17pm

Same here Diva,

I was hoping to watch this on my birthday.

Oh well, Saturday is good too.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

Videos