Calling All RENT Heads

martinman
#1Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 4:16pm

I'm a head from way back in '97..seems (and I somewhat agree), that some of the posters are getting tired of us talking/speculating/crying/dreading on and on about the closing...I'm there...My question is, is there a blog where we (heads) can do this amongst ourselves....

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#2re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:07pm

I don't remember what the site is called, but there is an official site message board.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:09pm

VoicesforRent? Yeah, that closed.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

DTBG2
#3re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:10pm

try www.compulsivebowlers.org

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:18pm

VoicesforRent? Yeah, that closed.

So did the one on SiteForRent.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:19pm

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 07:19 PM

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#6re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:28pm

There's compulsivebowlers.org.

Also there's an unofficial voicesforrent. It's been revived.

viola13
#7re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 7:34pm

yeah, it's at voicesforrent.org...it kinda hurts my head to read some of those posts, though.

dancegirl
#8re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 8:31pm

www.compulsivebowlers.com is great for all things RENT and nobody seems to get sick about talking about it there.

george95
#9re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 9:30pm

Wow I thought the compulsive bowlers thing was somebody trying to be mean, but then I remembered the compulsive bowlers line from the show.............cool!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/19/08 at 9:40pm

Here's an actual LINK to CB. And remember, it's .org, not .com.
http://www.compulsivebowlers.org

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 2/20/08 at 09:40 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#11re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/20/08 at 12:30am

It made me groan to realize that someone actually took the time to create a new voices for rent.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#12re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/20/08 at 7:18am

also try :

voicesforrent.org

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#13re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/20/08 at 7:39am

I'm just curious. I considered myself a semi-Rent Head back in the day....96/97 seeing the show about 30 times. Rediculous thought now, but 11 years ago I loved it. And though there is a part of me that is sad that it's closing because of fond memories, I mostly feel it's time for it to close. The last time I saw it, any emotion, feeling, connection was absent. There was a bunch of singers on stage trying to outperform the others. So my curiosity is....wouldn't true Rent Heads actually welcome the closing of a show that has lost the essence of what it was? Sure there will be some sadness, but crying, and dreading? I guess I don't understand. And that's ok.

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#14re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/20/08 at 6:17pm

I'm with you Jake. It IS sad that such a wonderful show is closing, but it is clearly time. It would be one thing if they pulled a Les Miz and re-cast/re-worked/re-energized...

I recently saw the tour and felt more emotion that I have in a long time due to the youthful and energized cast. They just don't often have that at the Nederlander anymore. And the lack of caring for the upkeep of the theater and the tightness of the show makes me understand the purpose in closing the show. I still feel the material is wonderful. I STILL think it is a completely valid, important, and beautiful show. And I think it could have survived a bit longer with a little loving care in the casting and directing areas.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

Baiseur82 Profile Photo
Baiseur82
#15re: Calling All RENT Heads
Posted: 2/20/08 at 7:22pm

Jakebloke you have just put into words what I have been thinking since they posted the closing notice. RENT was a big thing in my life but now when I see it I just feel sad for the state that show is in. I think most of the boo hooing is coming from the "new" generation of RENT Heads. In my opinion anyone that saw the show during its "glory days" knows its time for RENT to go...... Just my opinion.

"I'd rater be nine peoples favorite thing, than a hundred peoples ninth favorite thing"

Videos