pixeltracker

Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?

Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?

Cruel_Sandwich
Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#2re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 8:39pm

genghis kahn: a musical romp

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#2re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 8:41pm

Cannibal: The Musical

(Yes, it's a movie- it does really exist)

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Craww
songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#4re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 8:47pm

Carrie, OK its not mega violent but it has the highest body count of any musical, everyone is dead at the end except sue and the orchestra

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#5re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 8:48pm

"The Life" is very violent in one scene in the bar in Act 2.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#6re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 9:08pm

"West Side Story" comes to mind, although of course it's on a whole other level from "Sweeney." But there are fights and deaths, so I suppose it counts!

Craww
#7re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 9:09pm

I (unfortunately) didn't see it, but I'm assuming Evil Dead had some violence in it? Yes? Yes.

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#8re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 9:15pm

...but it has the highest body count of any musical

I would think Titanic would get the highest.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#9re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 9:20pm

Was Jeckyll & Hyde violent? (I left after the pony-tail-releasing transformation.)

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#10re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 9:24pm

I guess it was violent. He did kill. But they didn't go blood and gore with it.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#11re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:25pm

In My Life.

Except it was the audience who was violent and who ended up dead, not the performers.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#12re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:32pm

Was Jeckyll & Hyde violent? (I left after the pony-tail-releasing transformation.)

The reason why you left is why I would consider it EXTREMELY violent.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#13re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:29am

There's "Eating Raoul" based on the cult movie about a married couple who murder swingers.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#14re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 1:39am

Oliver can get pretty darn violent towards the end.

that's a really big mic...

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#15re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 9:17am

Bat Boy has its share of violence and blood-letting.

Gothampc
#16re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 9:19am

Little Shop of Horrors

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#17re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 9:25am

The Evil Dead

....but the world goes 'round

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#18re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 9:29am

I think all of Boublil and Schoenberg's shows include a good bit of violence -- although it is rarely ever 'graphic' violence. Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Martin Guerre, and I assume The Pirate Queen all had their shaere of fighting and death. Of course none are on the level of 'gore' as Sweeney.

Craww -- Evil Dead: The Musical did have a good bit of gore involved, hence the 'splatter zone' seats in the first few rows where the audience could get splashed with blood.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#19re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 9:29am

"Into the Woods"

One character is stabbed and skinned, two are devoured alive, three have their eyes gouged out, two of those have another body part mutilated, two are killed by a severe cranial injury and, depending on how you want to interpret it, somewhere between three and nine characters are killed when every bone in their body is crushed. Oh, and two drop dead of old age.
Updated On: 2/22/08 at 09:29 AM

Shapusen Profile Photo
Shapusen
#20re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 11:44am

Reefer Madness has got its fair share of cannibilism and hacking hearts out of chests. (Both the movie and the staged versions)

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#21re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 11:51am

Were any of the recent vampire musical flops (DOTV, Lestat, Dracula) especially violent and/or gory? Even for comic -- or un-intentionally comic resons??

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

husk_charmer
#22re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:07pm

Calvin -

Who gets eaten alive in "Into the Woods?" And, beyond the Mysterious Man, who else dies of old age?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Gothampc
#23re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:11pm

"Who gets eaten alive in "Into the Woods?"

Doesn't the Narrator get eaten alive by the giant?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#24re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd?
Posted: 2/22/08 at 12:14pm

Actually, I was referring to Red and Granny. I counted the narrator as one of the crushed, although I guess his method of death-by-giant varies by production.

And the other old age victim is Milky White (OK, it's usually a prop, but I'm counting it re: Other extremely violent musicals aside from Sweeney Todd? )