pixeltracker

Any bad stage-door experiences?- Page 4

Any bad stage-door experiences?

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#75re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 10:57am

I had the experience of working with Ms. Neuwirth-she's not big on the crowds hanging outside the stage door. She'll sign autographs, but really prefers not to do pics.

Before I worked with her, I did stage door Chicago and she said, "I'll sign anything you want, I'm just not comfortable doing pictures". I don't consider it a bad experience. She was nice about it.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#76re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:26am

What a strange tone of entitlement! Actors owe you the best performance they can give. Anything else is entirely up to them, and you need to allow for their being tired, hungry, in pain, preoccupied, or fearful. Most of these people (generalization, I know) are in New York and not Hollywood because they want to act, and not because they want to be celebrities. You should respect them for their work, and not for whether they are patient enough to do endless autographs and photographs and involuntaries. You know they have had some bad stage door experiences, and "once burned, twice shy."

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#77re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:36am

I've had my fair share of bad experiences.
When I saw Wicked back in january, I waited in the freezing cold for a good half hour (which I have become accustomed to, since I understand the green takes a while), and Stephanie J Block came out. The majority was young children with theater groups, who were all very excited but ignorant. They kept asking every performer "Who were you in the show?" and even though most of them approached this very graciously, I couldn't help but be embarrassed for some of them. Anyways, SJB stormed out the stage door and stopped maybe every few people, though everyone was waiting for her. She grabbed mine and I told her how much I enjoyed and appreciated her performance, and she just nodded. After, I asked her how Sebastian was and she just said "FINE." I also requested a picture, and she replied "only if the camera on and someone is ready to take it". I was taking my own pictures, so she stood there for a brief second, posing, and then walked off before I could thank her.
I understand that it was very, very cold and that was probably the last place she wanted to be, but I couldn't help but be a little dissapointed, as I have heard other stories of how kind and friendly she was. Bottom line: They're only human.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#78re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 11:47am

Keen - you said everything I wanted to.

I have been horrified at some of the responses. Why do people feel that because they are fans that actors owe them anything except to give the best performance they can? Actors are not obligated to sign playbills, take photos with you, or even say hello. Get over it.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#79re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:13pm

"There is no excuse for performers being rude at the stage door. We all have bad days but must remember if not for the people buying the tickets, performers wouldn't have jobs. I don't "expect" performers to sign autographs, but I appreciate it. And when I see a performer being rude, I lose a lot of respect for them. Just like a lose respect for anyone in any other line of work who is rude to people who pay their bills. If stage dooring scares actors that much, then don't stage door. And then seek therapy because I don't see how one can perform in front of a large audience, but not be able to take some compliments from fans on a job well done outside of a theatre."

FlyingMonkey, are you for real? Suggesting that actors should seek therapy if they aren't into the stagedoor thing? That is one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. How could you even say the actors shouldn't stage door if they're not into it? That is their entrance/exit to and from work; the actors are not "stage dooring", the fans are! Did it ever occur to you that the fans are invading on the actors' personal space? Why should actors be forced to take a different exit just to avoid signing autographs? Your comments are incredibly immature.

broadwayjim42
#80re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:31pm

Why don't we just say that if we're imposing on them, some people are much more gracious and outgoing in dealing with the imposition than others. The good experiences greatly outnumber the not-so-good.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I stage door to show my appreciation and say thank you...nothing more, nothing less. Autographs, pictures and conversation are gravy.

DefyGravity777
#81re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 12:44pm

taylorPHENOMENON2, You must have caught Stephanie on a bad night. When I met her at the beginning of March you could tell she was in a hurry but she was so nice to everyone that was there(we had to wait about 45 minutes before she came out). Sorry that you were disappointed. I probably would have been also but like you said they're only human and have bad days just like the rest of us.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#82re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:10pm

To be fair with Yul Brynner, he had cancer for a while. From what his son said in his biography, he was in quite a bit of pain, was very proud, and sometimes waited for everyone to leave because he didn't want anyone to see him being carried out to his car. If he pushed past everyone to get out of there, it might very well have been because he couldn't stay on his feet any longer. A friend of mine went backstage at "The King and I" when he was a kid and said that Yul was extremely nice, even though he was ill.

Yul Brynner punched a 10-year-old Anthony Rapp in the stomach because he was "in his way". Pushing past people at a stagedoor is one thing, but hitting someone else in the production- especially a child- is never excusable, cancer or not.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#83re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:11pm

I think one of the biggest keys to this whole thread is learning how to read body language. If I hang just to see a star come out, I usually just smile and compliment them and then stay the heck away. I don't move in, just play it by sight. They are tired, have to catch the train and god only knows what might have happened to them that day. (One time, an actress in a show I went to see had a death in the family that very day and still went on, god love her.) You simply never know what's going on inside their minds.

As for the whole stage door thing, well...it's a catch twenty-two. Being a stage door loser is part of the process of LIVE theater and I think most actors are being silly if you think that door is going to be empty when it's quitting time. That's simply a fringe benefit of doing a real production. (It's not like Kate and Leo were gonna walk out the back door of the Multiplex when Titanic was over). The charm of theater is that they go home when you go home, so a chance encounter is an extra treat.

Problem is there has to be compromise and when over-eager fans meet I-wanna-go-home performers, it's not always going to go smoothly. It's hard to be a chipper actor/actress when you've been doing it for so long and now you know there is an extra 10-15 minutes, possibly, waiting between you and that meal or you and your after show television before bedtime.

Sometimes it's better to just see the show, hang and give them a smile. Don't go near them, just be silently supportive. Keeps you from getting slapped. :)

Just my worthless two cents. In 20 years of doing this, I've seen it all...and it wasn't always pretty.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#84re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:29pm

"taylorPHENOMENON2, You must have caught Stephanie on a bad night. When I met her at the beginning of March you could tell she was in a hurry but she was so nice to everyone that was there(we had to wait about 45 minutes before she came out). Sorry that you were disappointed. I probably would have been also but like you said they're only human and have bad days just like the rest of us."

Agreed. Must've been a long day for her. The first time I met her, she was very quiet and moved down the line pretty quickly. She thanked everyone for their compliments. When I asked her for a picture, she took a moment to respond but said yes. She looked very tired. And it was freezing out too. Sebastian was there too, and it looked like they had to be somewhere because he had a suitcase with him.

The second time I met Stephanie, she was her normal friendly self. She was very outgoing and signed everything - t-shirts, you name it. I actually got a little shy and almost didn't ask for a picture, but then she asked ME. So we took a picture.

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed, taylorPHENOMENON2.

veryownplanetz Profile Photo
veryownplanetz
#85re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:33pm

re: bebe- I never stage doored Chicago but at the flea market this past year she was in the photo booth and I got a pic with her and she was one of the sweetest people ever. Granted it was for charity and was in a controlled setting but she is in no way a bitch.

The stage door experience at gypsy the other night was not fun. The actors were absolutely amazing and signed/ took pictures whatever but the crowd there was really rude and yelling actors names who were clearly going to GET to them. Sometimes I think its the stage door goers who make the experience bad. Not the actors.

Zeitoujo
#86re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:35pm

Worst: Phoebe Strole in Spring Awakening, Annelise Van Der Pol at BATB Final Performance, Lea Michelle in Spring Awakening, Charlotte in ACL

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#87re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:37pm

I don't stagedoor. I did a few times back in the early 80's but it was nothing like it is today. My first time back to Broadway after 1981 was in April of 2004. And the show I decided to stagedoor was Wicked. I never got to see Idina or Kristin and just left after about 15 minutes as it was a bit insane. I decided that after walking past some stagedoors after shows, I didn't want to deal with it. I really wanted a signed playbill from COMPANY, so I got one through BCEFA when they were selling them at the theater. And if I want one in the future, that's how I will get it. I did stage door at Little Mermaid in December, but that was just to say hello to a cast member I got to know while the show was in Denver.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 3/17/08 at 01:37 PM

Yankeefan007
#88re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:37pm

Block actually dropped my camera on the pavement. She had her checkbook out before I could even make sure it still worked (it did, for the record.) Nice of her to so quickly offer to pay for it.

Zeitoujo
#89re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:39pm

Thats so nice of SJB!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#90re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:41pm

Oh, just remembered, I did stagedoor The Little Mermaid here in Denver. Not a huge crowd and it was very orderly. The cast hung out for about 1/2 an hour chatting with people.

Just give the world Love.

MaronaDavies
#91re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 1:59pm

Yul Brynner punched a 10-year-old Anthony Rapp in the stomach because he was "in his way". Pushing past people at a stagedoor is one thing, but hitting someone else in the production- especially a child- is never excusable, cancer or not.

If that actually happened, of course it was inexcusable, and I'm sure AEA/Rapp's parents had something to say about it.

Eponine3
#92re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 2:06pm

I know how disappointing it is when you come to a show excited to see and meet a certain performer and then things don't work out the way you planned. However, this is my general feeling about Stage Dooring...

We have to remember how we would feel if we walked out of work everyday to a long line of strangers who wanted to talk to us and ask us for autographs and pictures and all the while the only thing we wanted to do was get home. I don't think it is fair to judge a performer based on that. Especially because, as we all know, some of those stage doors can get out of hand.

I appreciate the people who mentioned in their posts that they actually asked before taking a picture and thanked a performer for signing their playbill. I agree with one of the other posters who said that it is sometimes the stage door goers who make a bad experience not the actors. So many times so called "fans" of certain shows just stand there and shove things in the actors faces and start snapping away with not some much as a please or thank you. I have seen some completely rude things happen to performers from fans not respecting boundaries or respecting that performer as a human being. I actually knew of a performer who was being followed home on the train at night after the show. Needless to say, this person eventually gave up on the train and started taking a car. I think that most of the time if you are respectful to the actor they will be more than happy to sign your playbill and/or take a picture.

I can remember a post on a Broadway Performer's personal website where a stage door goer was upset with them for leaving before signing their playbill. This "fan" literally took the time to get on this person's page and complain that they did not sign their program.

What shocked me more was that this performer actually felt inclined to post a reply on the website and say that they were sorry they had not been able to sign this person's playbill. The performer acknowledged that the stage door is very awkward and that they didn't mind signing things. However, this person clearly stated that they were not going to approach fans and say "Hey do you know how I am. Do you want my autograph" They simply hung our and made themselves available and if no one approached them they went on their way home.

It just shows how classy this performer truly is that they cared enough to even respond to this person.

MaronaDavies
#93re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 2:08pm

keen on kean, I agree completely. In most of the stories here, I'm not seeing rude actors--I'm seeing ones who have declined to sign or take photos, who are tired, or who might not want to strike up long conversations. And many actors have had bad experiences with fans at the stage door, and are understandably wary.

I've also met Bebe Neuwirth away from the stage door. She struck me as being quiet and reserved, and she was extremely pleasant.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#94re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 2:11pm

Hearing about bad stagedoor experiences warms the cockles of my heart.
Updated On: 3/17/08 at 02:11 PM

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#95re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 2:18pm

Every few months this type of thread rears its ugly head. The fact is that actors do not owe anyone anything and that New York theater is unique in that fans actually get to see and meet the actors they admire. In Hollywood, you would never get that close. Instead of appreciating this privilege, many fans are rude or ridiculous in their approach to stars.

People also need to understand that on any given day an actor may or may not sign or take pictures. They might be sick, have an appointment or just be tired and that is understandable. I have also seen the same actor be more or less patient on any given day depending on their mood and what is going on in their life. We all have bad days but when a fan holds a grudge over a period of months or years it seems unfair that the actor never has the ability to defend their position or to explain how they were feeling or what happened on that day.

When these threads pop up I always wonder why we have to dwell on the negative. It is the same negative attitude that prevails when someone starts a thread to talk about which show should or might close next. Why not highlight the positive?

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#96re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 2:25pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I stage door to show my appreciation and say thank you...nothing more, nothing less. Autographs, pictures and conversation are gravy.

That's how I feel, too. Raul Esparza, when I met him and told him that he's my inspiration, took my arm and thanked me for saying something so nice and thoughtful. It was unexpected, but it certainly made the experience better.

I mean, it's ridiculous to assume that because you're a fan you should expect an actor to treat you in a certain way. Everyone has their off days, and actors are no exception to that rule. That being said, I couldn't agree more with the sentiments in the post above mine.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Updated On: 3/17/08 at 02:25 PM

nygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
#97re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 2:43pm

I recently visited a friend of mine who's ushering several different shows, and we were chatting about the fact that we're both dealing with stomach troubles. She said that if you visited any dressing room at any theater, you were bound to find medications and remedies not only for keeping the throat healthy, but also for staving off things like gastritis, ulcers, reflux, etc. She said everyone's got things like ginger tea, slippery elm, Nexium, etc. stashed in their dressing rooms.

Made me feel less alone, and also more aware of the stresses that come with following one's theatrical passions. I never was a stage door fanatic, but I am even more aware of the body language of an actor who just wants to go home and rest.
Updated On: 3/17/08 at 02:43 PM

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#98re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 3:12pm

I never thought I'd see Steph J. Block's name in a thread about BAD stage door experiences ! Everyone says and knows that she is one of, if not THE, most gracious and wonderful artists, to her fans !!!

Idinster87
#99re: Any bad stage-door experiences?
Posted: 3/17/08 at 3:16pm

taylorPHENOMENON2- I agree with what the others have said about SJB. I have met her probably close to 8-10 times, and she has been amazing.

But, I have to disagree with this opinion that performers do not "owe" the fans a good stagedoor experience (that includes autographs). I completely understand if someone is sick, stressed, busy, in a hurry, etc. However, it is hard to think of any occupation- not just the performing arts- where success is not based on a combination of Product + Service. I used to work at Starbucks, and I can tell you that even if I made the perfect mocha latte for a customer and in record time, it wouldn't matter if I just gave it to them without saying "Thank you, have a great day." I would have been reprimanded by my manager. In the same vein, all business is based on its products and customer service. My dad is the CEO of a fairly large company in the midwest, and he always tells me that he didn't get to where he was because he necessarily had better ideas than everyone else, but because he treated people- no matter who they were- with respect and dignity.

And let's think about the culture we live in. How many television shows, stations, radio shows, and magazines are dedicated not to talking about an actor's performance in a movie/tv show, but in their behavior outside of the industry? Tom Cruise did not lose his contract deal with a giant production company because his acting ability suddenly changed. He lost it because of his behavior, and people responded to that, and ticket sales plummeted. If you are in the entertainment business, you are in some ways a role model. Whether people are conscious of it or not, most look up to celebrities, and broadway fans see broadway performers as celebrities. I would be much more nervous meeting Sutton Foster than I would meeting Kate Hudson.

The fact is, performers' behavior most of the time affects how people view their performances. Especially when we're talking about kids. If you heard that someone was homophobic (think: Grey's Anatomy) would you be able to completely objectively watch them onstage? I know many of my friends could not watch Grey's Anatomy in the same way after that. Or think about politicians in this country; their behavior, or character, weighs much much more than their ability to lead. So, no, performers don't NEED to act a certain way. But could their careers be impacted by their behavior? Absolutely. That is how our society works. "It's not about aptitude, it's the way you're viewed."