pixeltracker

Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-5/4

Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-5/4

shesamarshmallow
#1Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-5/4
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:17pm

According to BroadwayUnderstudies.com, Aaron Tveit is playing Link in Hairspray April 1st - May 4th, since Ashley Parker Angel is on medical leave for (I believe) a slipped disc. Between him and Van being on the past 2 weeks, that's like half the cast of Saved!

They don't have an understudy slip for him yet, so they had to make an announcement before curtain that the role of Link Larkin would be played by Aaron Tveit, to which there were audible boos.

But otherwise the audience was possibly the most receptive I've ever seen for this show, with almost every single joke landing perfectly. I hadn't seen Aaron, and have to admit he's the best (objectively) that I've seen so far, but not my favorite. He's very... vulgar and energetic. Try to catch him this month. Saved starts previews May 9th!

(Also, Jacqui Polk is going on as Penny April 22nd & 23rd!)

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway
Updated On: 4/2/08 at 11:17 PM

timote316
#2re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:21pm

I saw his second or third performance as Link on tour a few years ago. I'd assume he grew into the role since then, but I remember him doing a solid job.

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#2re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:30pm

That's awesome! I saw him both in the tour and on Broadway and thought he was great.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#3re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:33pm

Oh. My God. Must get to the Neil Simon.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#4re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:41pm

After seeing him shine in NEXT TO NORMAL, I came to the decision that he possesses the finest Male Voice (18-25) in New York City. He should knock'em dead on Broadway.

re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27

Updated On: 4/1/08 at 11:41 PM

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#5re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:43pm

Saw him on the HAIRSPRAY tour years ago as Link and thought he was wonderful. Go see him!

basketcase
#6re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:43pm

Aaron is a fantastic Link. Hopefully those who were booing got over it once they actually saw his performance...or once they actually saw him onstage at all. It's pretty hard to be mad at an understudy that cute.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#7re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:36am

He does have an amazing voice

being.jeremiah
#8re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:37am

That's why he was there on Friday night... makes sense.

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#9re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:38am

I think they were also in the same workshop of Catch Me If You Can.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:39am

Well, I am gonna have to head back to the Neil Simon to catch him. LOVED him in Next to Normal- I agree with whomever said that of the young male actors working today, he's got the best voice, by far.

Edited....going this Saturday matinee! Updated On: 4/2/08 at 12:39 AM

shesamarshmallow
#11re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 12:41am

I think they were also in the same workshop of Catch Me If You Can.

I know they were both ensemble for last summer's reading, but I'm not sure about the one that happened last month.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

stageishome
#12re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:01am

Ashley is out? Sure doesn't stop him from picking up guys in bars...

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#13re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:03am

well now theres a long day, rehearsals for Saved and perfs of Hairspray.

ETA, any one know why they're having him fill in (besides his previous experience with the show)? it seems odd to bring someone in like that for a month (who's not a name) especially when they're in rehearsal for another show. Or at least it does to me. Updated On: 4/2/08 at 01:03 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:27am

To make money off the NEXT TO NORMAL fans that will fill the theatre for a month.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#15re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 1:46am

ooh and here comes foster to make jokes at N2N's expense. How original and mature of him.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#16re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 5:00am

I'm seeing it next Wednesday, so I'll let you know what I think ! Of course, the only one I've seen on the role is Matt and his unbelievable performance made me a fan for life, but I'll go with an open mind and I promise to be objective ! It will also be Karen Masons's second day, so I am getting quite a fresh cast and I'm glad !

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#17re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 6:07am

because one of the guys who usually understudies Link has left the show and the new kid isnt ready to go on yet so bringing someone else in for a short while who already knows the role made the most sense.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#18re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 6:20am

For the record, Liverpool, I adore Aaron Tveit, and I think he is immensely talented.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#19re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 6:33am

I'm seeing it on the 13th, but I'm very disappointed that Mary Birdsong will no longer be there. Had I known she was there for such a short time, I would have seen Hairspray the last time I was in town.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#20re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 6:40am

i've seen him in Hairspray on tour and twice on Broadway, in Next To Normal...and now I need to go see Hairspray again. haha love it.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#21re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 6:48am

"To make money off the NEXT TO NORMAL fans that will fill the theatre for a month."

I can't imagine there are that many fans, to be able to "fill" the theatre for a month. If that was their intention, then they did sell at least one ticket, since that is the only reason I'm going this weekend.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#22re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 6:51am

I'll probably try lottery on my open (non-class or previously scheduled event) nights until I manage to win. LOL. (With my luck this could take a while...) I'd love to see him in it.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 8:32am

I'm guessing the "boos" weren't so much so much because Aaron was there but because of the those that wanted to see Parker.

I'm hoping...cuz I adore Tveit!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#24re: Aaron Tveit is Link in HAIRSPRAY 4/1-4/27
Posted: 4/2/08 at 10:44am

He's very... vulgar and energetic.

Funny, two words I would NOT use to describe his Link, unless he has drastically altered his performance. The handful of times I saw Tveit on tour and on Broadway, he was pretty bland; brought nothing new to the table with the character, and it looked like it was painful for him to smile. I had no clue what the girls of Baltimore saw in his Link.

And EugLoven, I think you went a bit overboard with your assessment of his voice. His falsetto was rather pitchy when N2N called for it in "I'm Alive," and his skills as a tenor are easily a dime a dozen in this city.
Updated On: 4/2/08 at 10:44 AM

Videos