pixeltracker

WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS

WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1Whoopi Goldberg to "host" Tonys
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:01am

per The View, right now

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:01am

She just announced on the View!!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#2re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:03am

THREAD MERGE!!!!!!

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:03am

Wow, we both started threads at the same time and they got merged, haha.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Midnight Radio
#3re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:04am

Hah how many threads can we all make about the same topic at once

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:04am

The caps are a big much for me...I generally prefer to not feel like I'm being screamed at when I read the title of a thread.

But, what was weird.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#5re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:05am

Heard her announce it too. So glad for her!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#6re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:06am

I'm glad they are doing a host, I didn't like it without one.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
Trekkie2
#8re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:21am

YES! I love her! She's hysterical, and was the best Oscars host in recent memory.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#9re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:27am

I was hoping for Ellen, but this is good, too

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#10re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 11:27am

YEAH WHOOPI!!!!!!!! She'll make a great host!! Good choice!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#11re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:03pm

Yay!!!

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#12re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:05pm

Holla

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#13re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:09pm

Actually she saod she would be "narrating" and didn't want to use the "H" word.
She said they would be celebrating all the shows not just the nominees, I quess this is to avoid the LEGALLY BLONDE debacle of last year.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#14re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:14pm

Great choice !!! LOVE IT !

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#15re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:19pm

This makes me happy. I really think it's most enjoyable if a single person is at the helm.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:21pm

I wish I could be there. I was offered a ticket but can't make it to NYC at the time of the awards.

Just give the world Love.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#17re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:24pm

This was an interesting way to start my day.

Good. And if they're actually celebrating all the shows for once, I'm a very happy guy.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

jigblob Profile Photo
jigblob
#18re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:26pm

aw i was hoping for rosie....

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#19re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:28pm

I think this is a great choice. I imagine she'll be fantastic!

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#20re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:33pm

I am so excited!!!!

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#21re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:44pm

Great news! I really hated the host-less telecasts. And I'm glad they're celebrating all the shows this year. That's what the Tonys are about: a celebration of Broadway.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 12:54pm

I was hoping for Ellen, but this is good, too

What does Ellen have to do with Broadway?

I was actually hoping for Kristin Chenoweth, since she has achieved Hollywood fame now and is a recognizable face. She was a riot hosting the Drama Desks last year.

But Whoopi will be great.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#23re: WHOOPI GOLDBERG TO HOST TONY AWARDS
Posted: 5/8/08 at 1:00pm

GREAT news!!! FINALLY CBS can make a smart decision