#1SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:30pm

I can't decide! Someone help?!!?

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:32pm

AUGUST. It's probably the best show on Broadway...it's a must-see while SITP (in my opinion) is a bit of an overrated albeit good revival that's really nothing astounding or groundbreaking (besides Buntrock's smart direction and solid performances from Evans and Russell, nothing is really worth raving about). AUGUST is the closest thing to flawless to hit Broadway this season.

Updated On: 5/21/08 at 10:32 PM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#2re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:32pm

I can't speak for Sunday, I haven't seen it, but I would NOT miss August: Osage County. It's completely brilliant, and you should absolutely see it.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#3re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:40pm

I hated Sunday and loved August. BUT, to play devil's advocate, Sunday is a limited run whil August is now an open run. See Sunday because it will close, and you should experience the projections (the star of the show). August will be open for a while.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#4re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/21/08 at 10:48pm

Like bjh2114 said, Sunday is a limited run. See it. It is beautiful.

August is open ended and will likely be around for a while.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#5re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/21/08 at 11:16pm

Sunday!!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#6re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/21/08 at 11:28pm

Sunday.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

ashley0139
#7re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 12:11am

Haven't seen August yet, but Sunday is a beautiful, amazing, brilliant show. I would recommend it to anyone.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#8re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 2:03am

I have a feeling the responses which simply state Sunday are from people who haven't seen August. In my opinion, August is vastly superior to this particular production of Sunday in the Park With George, and this is coming from someone who considers it one of her favorite musicals and loved this production. Whatever you do, do NOT miss August: Osage County, and definitely do not wait until Amy Morton and Deanna Dunnigan are gone.

I would, however, recommend seeing Sunday if you can figure out a way to see both.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 5/22/08 at 2:16am

Updated On: 5/5/09 at 02:16 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 2:20am

I've seen them both, and my answer is SUNDAY.

It is breathtaking, and an experience you will never forget.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#11re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 8:21am

I've seen them both, and my answer is SUNDAY.

It is breathtaking, and an experience you will never forget.

I concur!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#12re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 8:22am

I've seen them both too and would say Sunday.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Roscoe
#13re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 9:05am

AUGUST OSAGE COUNTY. Hands down, no question. A perfect production of an excellent play, beautifully acted. A joy to behold.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Lynnespock2
#14re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 9:07am

SITHPWG - beautiful all around.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#15re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 9:09am

August

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Zeitoujo
#16re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 10:04am

ugh such a HARD decision!!!!!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#17re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 11:02am

August, no contest.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#18re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 11:18am

Don't you live close enough you see a lot of things? See the one that's closing first first. Then see the other one. (Or see the other one in place of something old like Chicago or seeing something else over and over.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#19re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/22/08 at 12:05pm

August is worth seeing while most of the original cast is still there. It's fantastic. The chemistry between the actors can't be replicated.

I did love Sunday but August is a special show. It's really brilliant. Go see it.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

jrb
#20re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/23/08 at 9:25am

They are both beautiful pieces. I would recommend them both, for very different reasons.

You should take into consideration that these pieces are VASTLY different in tone and style (setting aside the obvious fact that one is a straight play and the other, a musical).

While you'll have a group that screams, "August" and another that screams "Sunday", you should at least be aware that both sides have passion for these pieces because they are both really, really well done.

If you love Sondheim and Sunday in the Park, then go see it. I suggest that people going in to see Sunday prepare themselves, as it isn't the easiest of Sondheim's works. Some knowledge of the structure and music can help to make the evening more enjoyable. I only say this because I notice, more often than not, that the people who leave mid-show, baffled by the whole endeavor are the folks who didn't know what they were getting into. This is an aficionado piece. If you love Sondheim and his brand of intellectualism, it might be your dish.

As for August - this is a work out. It's 3.5 hours long. It felt like 15 minutes, to me...but I left the theater feeling like i had run a marathon. The acting is some of the best i've seen in NYC and the play is expertly written and directed. It's emotional and astonishing. However, if you're not into heavy drama / black comedy then don't go to this.

Tough choice. I think you'll enjoy whichever one you choose.

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#21re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/23/08 at 9:27am

Everyone will enjoy Sunday. Even my 10 year old sister loved it and she didn't know what the hell was going on half the time!

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#22re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/23/08 at 9:46am

Having seen both, definitely go with August. Despite what others are saying about Sunday being a limited run ... it doesn't compare to the original production, and you can always see that on DVD. August is one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed it. Sunday, on the other hand, has just as many people who don't like as those who do.

Roscoe
#23re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/23/08 at 9:50am

I'd say that if you love SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE and Sondheim you should AVOID that revival like the plague it is. The band is reduced to a mere 5 musicians, the singing and acting is remarkably undistinguished.

See AUGUST.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#24re: SITPWG or August?
Posted: 5/23/08 at 10:03am

>The band is reduced to a mere 5 musicians<

Slashed from the massive, gargantuan symphonic-sized 11 musicians it had originally.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Videos