pixeltracker

2008 Tony Awards: Performance & Presenters Lists

2008 Tony Awards: Performance & Presenters Lists

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12008 Tony Awards: Performance & Presenters Lists
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:35pm

Here is a list of all performances that will be presented at the 2008 Tony Awards (updated as announced):

THE LION KING - "Circle of Life" (Opening Number, celebrating 10 years)
RENT - Unknown (Tribute, with original cast members)
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL - Unknown (Uncomfirmed, audition notice was posted for high schoolers to perform a number at the Tonys)

A CATERED AFFAIR - "Vision" (New This Season)
CRY-BABY - "A Little Upset" (Nominated for Best Musical)
IN THE HEIGHTS - "96,000" (Nominated for Best Musical)
THE LITTLE MERMAID - "Part of Your World" (New This Season)
PASSING STRANGE - "Keys/Amsterdam" (Nominated for Best Musical)
XANADU - "Don't Walk Away" (Nominated for Best Musical)
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN - "Deep Love" (New This Season)

GREASE - Unknown (Nominated for Best Revival of a Musical)
GYPSY - "Everything's Coming Up Roses" (Nominated for Best Revival of a Musical)
SOUTH PACIFIC - Unknown (Nominated for Best Revival of a Musical)
SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE - "Move On" (Nominated for Best Revival of a Musical)

Stage and screen star Whoopi Goldberg will host the 62nd Annual Tony Awards, which will be presented June 15. CBS-TV will broadcast the event live from Radio City Music Hall, 8-11 PM ET. (Red-carpet arrivals begin at 6 PM).

Presenters for the program currently include Gabriel Byrne, Julie Chen, Harry Connick, Jr., Laurence Fishburne, Mandy Patinkin, David Hyde Pierce, Lily Tomlin, John Waters, Alec Baldwin, Kristin Chenoweth, Glenn Close, Richard Griffiths, Laura Linney, John Lithgow, Liza Minnelli, Mary-Louise Parker, Daniel Radcliffe, Brooke Shields and Marisa Tomei.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 6/9/08 at 11:35 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:39pm

Very thorough, thank you. Interesting choices - they all seem to be performing VERY similar numbers.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 5/29/08 at 11:39 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:39pm

Heehee, blaxx.

I think In the Heights is doing 96,000.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 5/29/08 at 11:39 PM

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#3re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:41pm

ITH better

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#4re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:41pm

What the Hell. I pay all this money and have to sit through High School Musical and Lion King performances? The only way this would be acceptable is if that time were replacing a lecture on the American Theater Wing.

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#5re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:42pm

I heard Cry-Baby is doing "A Little Upset".

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#6re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:44pm

LOL blaxx. I was going to input what IN THE HEIGHTS, PASSING STRANGE, and CRY-BABY are doing but I am waiting for permission.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#7re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:53pm

It does seem they could have gotten together and discussed this so that they weren't all doing the same number!

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#8re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:55pm

The Tony Awards are on the night before I fly to New York. I do not know how I am gonna be able to sleep that night! (Especially since my flight leaves at 6:40AM)

MusicalMan76 Profile Photo
MusicalMan76
#9re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:57pm

Perhaps it would've made more sense to wait until you had permission so the obvious numbers (i.e. those that were revealed on Playill, BroadwayWorld, and others in the past few days) weren't the only numbers listed.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#10re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/29/08 at 11:58pm

No indication of anything being performed in honor of Sondheim's award?

Mark820 Profile Photo
Mark820
#11re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:06am

Honestly I'd love to see ITh do 96,000 since i think its a piece that needs to be done and not just sung (like they showed on Broadway.com, it was vocally impressive) It seems interesting. All i can say is this i cannot wait for the Tonys.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#12re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:09am

a CRY-BABY cast member told me they're doing the Prison song ("A Little Bit Upset" ??) from Act Two.
Updated On: 5/30/08 at 12:09 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:12am

I actually wish ITH could do Carnaval del Barrio. I think it makes more sense out of context.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#14re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:12am

Are they really doing a HSM number? And if so can they have please have amazing Broadway Diva's perform it?

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#15re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:24am

Actually, I hear that the stars from the nominated musicals will be performing selections from HSM 1 and 2 throughout the evening instead of stuff from their own shows.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#16re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:27am

But in full costume from their respective shows, with their respective sets. So, you know, HSM George Seurat style. It's where musical theater is headed, after all!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#17re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:31am

Mel Brooks hasn't finagled a Young Frankenstein performance yet?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:32am

I would *kill* to hear Patti LuPone, Angela Lansbury, Bernadette Peters, Betty Buckly, Barbara Cook, Chita Rivera, Barbra Streisand, and Liza Minelli do "Getcha Head In The Game."

Patti: "Jump left!"
Liza: "Fake right!"

--Aristotle

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#19re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:36am

Patti: Jump! LEFt!
Liza: Faake, right?!

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#20re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:36am

re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List

being.jeremiah
#21re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:38am

HSM got LUPWNED!

#22re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:39am

Maybe a Sondheim tribute will be the opening?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:40am

That's HILARIOUS, Mandi Moo!

And can Nathan Lane PLEASE do that 11 o'clock number Zac Efron has in HSM2? The one where he is out on the golf course and the sun is setting.

--Aristotle

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#24re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 5/30/08 at 12:40am

That's my new avatar. Thank you.

Latest Posts

Videos