pixeltracker

[Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?

[Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1[Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 12:24pm

Over at ATC, they're talking about the possibility of the show transferring back off-broadway. Has anyone else heard anything about this? It would be fantastic if it were true!

cheapcoloredlights3
#2re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 12:25pm

That would be fantastic!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 12:26pm

it would make sense, smaller venue, probably lower running costs

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#3re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 12:32pm

I actually disagree that it would make sense. They would have to rewrite the show because as it stands it's all about getting to Broadway. There's no reason for the show to take a step backwards.

If the show was going to have a ten year off-Broadway run it would still be playing at the Vineyard, or have transferred to another off-Broadway house.

I'm a HUGE fan of the show (seen it nine times), so I'm not trying to be negative. It just needs to run its natural course. When Grey Gardens was in trouble no one was saying it should transfer back to off-Broadway where it could run for years. Let's just let the show go out with a bang on Broadway and celebrate the success the show had.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#4re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 12:53pm

I honestly think the only way for the show to move on from here and make it seem organic is to go on a national tour. Fingers crossed.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#5re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:02pm

I think it would make sense for the show to go back off Broadway. I don't however think that the national tour is a logical idea. You have to realize that most national touring houses are bigger then the Lyceum. If they were having trouble selling a decent amount of seats in the Lyceum then what makes you think that they can sell well on tour.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Robert Taylor
#6re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:11pm

I would LOVE for the show to continue, even if it means going Off-Broadway.

BUT what I was attempting to say in my original post was that going back to Off-Broadway is a bit of a "demotion" for the show, if you will. Being on Off-Broadway again and singing about wanting to be ON broadway, especially after they have been on Broadway and closed soon thereafter does not make sense to the show's fabric or storyline (it does, however, to the message of being nine people's favorite thing).

Taking the show on tour would, I think, work because it can be promoted as coming from Broadway, which it did, and remain true to the show's storyline and roots without being seen as backpeddling. And most of the tickets in touring houses are subscription seats anyway. Most people haven't heard of "Frost/Nixon" (yet) or "Spring Awakening" (yet) and are going to see the shows because they have tickets, not because they heard about it and can't wait to go see it.

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#7re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:14pm

I think it could tour but it'd have to be at small venues because touring theaters are gigantic.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#8re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:19pm

Wouldn't that kind of go against the "can do" feeling of the [s]? I say let it go and move on to something new.

PEACE.

AlgonquinProd2 Profile Photo
AlgonquinProd2
#9re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:24pm

Unfortunately, I think the ship has sailed on this as a possibility. It needed to go directly to off broadway in the first place as it simply was not a Broadway show, as evidenced by the grosses. What worked at the Vineyard could easily have worked at New World Stages, and it could have run for years. As mentioned before, audiences expect less off Broadway and a show with just four actors and four chairs might have been an asset, whereas on Broadway it was a liability. You might be able to run it ala Altar Boyz, three or four nights a week, but personally, I'd rather they end it on a high note (they did make it to Broadway, after all) and move on to do other shows.

Jordan Catalano
#10re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:57pm

"Wouldn't that kind of go against the "can do" feeling of the [s]? I say let it go and move on to something new."

I don't think it goes against the "can do" feeling at all. For a little show with 4 actors, 4 chairs and a keyboard it's done amazingly well and has already had a longer life than countless Broadway shows that have lost millions and millions of dollars after closing in much less time.

This is just another step in their journey and if it that journey happens to lead to a longer run at a smaller venue than that's what it is. [Title of Show]'s audience is still growing (even though the grosses sadly don't show it) so a transfer somewhere like New World Stages would give the musical a chance to live quite a while longer.

koolaid mustache Profile Photo
koolaid mustache
#11re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:11pm

As a Huge Fan of the show, I think it makes sense to go off-broadway

yes, the show has been about getting to Broadway, but the show is also about evolution and breaking boundaries. The show would be re-written about being a flop on Broadway and coming back to Off-Broadway.

Ken Davenport wrote an interesting blog about how shows could move to Off-Broadway when Broadway wasn't feasible, and how no-one has EVER done it. [tos] is about breaking rules, and pushing limits, and I think it would work well, and create a lot of press!

just my two cents!

25 shows in 14 days folks, anything is possible!

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#12re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:20pm

I think it's time to let go...

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn

broadwayjim42
#13re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:23pm

I'd be thrilled if it did a reverse transfer and since "Flamingo Court" is closing...voila, instant theatre.

I only got to see it once, won't be able to make the last performance and love the little thing to death, so just about anything to keep it alive for a while longer works for me.

Close it, retool it and reopen it say....hmmm...in January, just in time for my post-Christmas trip.

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#14re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:44pm

Jesus Christ, enough already. Just let it go. Hasn't every insane title of show fan already seen this thing dozens of times already and isn't that enough to last a freaking lifetime? How many more hundreds of threads do we need cluttering up this board about title of show this or title of show that? It is playing to 30% capacity on Broadway. Abysmal. Let this fade into a book about legendary flops, where it belongs.

Updated On: 9/23/08 at 02:44 PM

Robert Taylor
#15re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:49pm

NO. This [title of show] fan has yet to see the show, and neither have my seven friends, who I just introduced to the cast recording. We were going to go in November and now cannot. Pardon me for being hurt that the little show that could was smashed next to other, larger shows that were not of the same quality.

And by hundreds of threads do you mean the four that are currently on the main page, half the amount for Xanadu and Gypsy?

And it is NOT a legendary flop, it ran much longer than many expected it to, over 100 shows.

It's a quality piece of theater that attracted a great following and lots of critical love. Sorry if you feel otherwise.

Jordan Catalano
#16re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:49pm

Oh sorry, Insider2. I didn't get the email telling me that I needed to double check with you before I posted something that (and let me know if I'm wrong here) was newsworthy.

In the future I'll be SURE to cc you on anything I'm interested in discussing.

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#17re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:53pm

"This [title of show] fan has yet to see the show"

So you're a fan strictly based off of the recording? Lame.

"Pardon me for being hurt that the little show that could was smashed next to other, larger shows that were not of the same quality."

Avenue Q was the REAL little show that could. It was up against a lot of biggies, that season, including Wicked.

[TOS] just wasn't very good. Had nothing to do with getting "smashed"

"It's a quality piece of theater"

Oh... it is? Weird.

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn

broadwayjim42
#18re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:56pm

When I was a kid, my mother drank the occasional bitter lemon.

Sounds like some people here are gorging on them.

Robert Taylor
#19re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:59pm

Did you really just diss me because it is not feasible for me to go to New York City and see and support a show I fell in love with?

So what if I first started liking the show when someone passed along the soundtrack to me? Does that make me any less of a fan because I've just seen the videos, read the blog and heard the music? As an author, I found the premise of the show inspired and loved the message that Hunter and Jeff were trying to get across.

It absolutely kills me that I cannot see the show on Broadway before it closes, and thank you for calling me "lame" for it. What a big person.
Updated On: 9/23/08 at 02:59 PM

broadwayjim42
#20re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 3:06pm

I saw the show in July and picked up the CD a month later and all it's done is enhance the experience and make me want to see it again even more.

I was in the city Saturday to see Equus and to escape Times Square crowds, my partner and I ducked through Virgin and headed up 46th St, where I broke out in a big smile upon seeing the people hanging around the TOS stage door.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#21re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 3:11pm

I'm upset that Xanadu moved their closing date, whereas [tos] should have closed a while ago.

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#22re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 3:36pm

title of show is like flushing money down a toilet to watch four snarky idiots verbally masturbate themselves and each other for ninety minutes. If you like that kind of thing, knock yourself out. It is barely even theatre. I on the other hand, want my money back and I want my ninety minutes back. Good riddance to an inferior piece of absolute garbage. May it rest in hell.
Updated On: 9/23/08 at 03:36 PM

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#23re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 3:40pm

Very well said, Insider2.

Huey's Pop Profile Photo
Huey's Pop
#24re: [Title of Show] Transferring BACK Off-Broadway?
Posted: 9/23/08 at 4:29pm

I'm praying that TOS comes to Los Angeles. I'd be the first one to buy tickets!