101 Dalmatians - The Musical?

broadwayboy101
#1101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:30pm

I just went to the Dallas Summer Musicals website, and for this coming season they have down 101 Dalmatians - The Musical.

Anyone know anything about this?

www.dallassummermusicals.org/2009/shows/101.shtm Updated On: 9/27/08 at 06:30 PM

bwayfan9
#2re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:32pm

a link perhaps

Obama/Biden 08

Trekkie2
#2re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:36pm

MTI has a " Disney kids" version of 101 Dalmatians, but that's the only legal version I know of.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

broadwayboy101
#3re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:41pm

There's a link in the original post now.

I would think Disney was trying out their next new show, but it doesn't say anything about Disney.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:45pm

There's a Spanish language stage recording. Maybe it's the American premiere of that production?

http://www.castalbums.org/recordings/2276

monkeybutt Profile Photo
monkeybutt
#5re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:52pm

It is a short 30-45 minute musical. It is a lot of fun though!

FRIENDSHIP IS LIKE PEEING ON YOURSELF, EVERYONE CAN IT BUT ONLY YOU HAVE THAT WARM FUZZY FEELING

shaun3000
#6re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/28/08 at 11:04pm

Yeah, it doesn't. It's pretty misleading, if you ask me. The DSM site (http://www.dallassummermusicals.org/2009/index.shtml) shows it immediately following Mary Poppins and seems to imply it's a new, Disney show. More likely than not, it's a crap show along the same lines as Bob the Buider[and Happy Days. What amazes me is people still pay $75 a seat for that ****.
Updated On: 9/28/08 at 11:04 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#7re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:13am

That poster actually looks kinda legit. And everything else seems like it would be a full-length show. Do we know if this is even really affiliated with Disney? Maybe somebody else has gotten the rights to do a musical based on the book.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:16am

I'm also very suspicious, as Disney would like to throw the company name somewhere in there, I'm sure.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#9re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:50am

http://www.MTIKidsCollection.com/v4_show_home.asp?ID=000270

It HAS to be Disney. They are the only ones with the rights to do a LEGAL adaption of "Dalmatians" .... it's intended for young toddlers to perform, though.

Maybe they are trying out an Adult version?

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/29/08 at 1:13am

It doesn't HAVE to be Disney. Legally anyone mounting the MTI version has to market it as 101 Dalmatians KIDS and use the logo provided. That doesn't mean that this production isn't doing so illegally, but it could also mean that it's a different production entirely. And if it was Disney trying out an adult version one would assume you'd see the Disney logo plastered all over the artwork.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#11re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/29/08 at 1:42am

It says right there on the website that its a new musical based on the book, directed by Jerry Zaks....

Its also listed on the road company's roster

http://www.theroadcompany.com/shows.php Updated On: 9/29/08 at 01:42 AM

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#12re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/29/08 at 1:45am

I really hope it's a new musical based on the book.

The existing one kinda blows.

Love,
Horace.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

husk_charmer
#13re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/29/08 at 1:49am

It has to be a new piece, DSM wouldn't do a 25 minute Kids musical.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#14re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 9/29/08 at 12:13pm

Very interesting. I LOVE the book.
I wonder who's doing the music? Updated On: 9/29/08 at 12:13 PM

ddytalk
#15re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 11/30/08 at 2:10pm

Dennis DeYoung will be doing the music.
http://www.gcadstransfer.com/TROIKA/101dalmatians.html

Dennis recently received a Jeff Award for his musical "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"

gypsy4
#16re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 11/30/08 at 2:29pm

from looking at the poster on the website it sure looks like disney has something to do
with this.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#17re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 12/25/08 at 4:43pm

The Book writer is a director I've worked with twice before.

This has to be a new show and not the kids version.

I think I'll drop BT an email and get the scoop.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#18re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 12/25/08 at 4:51pm

There was a musical of 101 Dalmatians I saw here in Kansas City a few years ago at the Coterie Theatre. It wasn't Disney.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

willrogers2008
#19re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 12/25/08 at 6:15pm

101 DALMATIANS had its world premiere in Buenos Aires, three years ago.It was produced in a main Buenos Aires theatre,licenced by Disney.Lenght: about 2 hours.They used real dalmatians on Stage.I guess the real ones combined with projections.A CD of the show was released,too.All actors (including the role of Cruella)were top names in Argentina musical theatre.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#20re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 12/25/08 at 6:16pm

Another sign of impending Armeggdon is upon us.

Poster Emeritus

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#21re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 12/25/08 at 9:50pm

Here is a link or two that clears it up:

http://www.jsoft.com/archive/taffie/theater/dallas/poll2009.html
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=PZ&Date=20081112&ID=9373657&Symbol=TIXC

I plan on seeing Legally Blonde, but I had no idea about this musical. Sounds odd. Thought it would be Disney.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#22re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 12/27/08 at 1:58pm

Here's a message from BT, the writer:

"Nice to hear from you.

Yes, we're working on this "puppy."

No info we can share at the moment, other than that it's based on the Dodie Smith novel, not the Disney films. Like the novel, it's set in 1957 and is told from the dogs' point of view.

I'm sure we'll divulge more when things settle."

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BRDWYrobb Profile Photo
BRDWYrobb
#23re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 1/15/09 at 11:54pm

101 Dalmations IS coming to broadway and it seems like things may be picking up the pace and soon
Luis Alvarez and the producers are coming to the U.S from spain in February
i know there is a welcoming event for them in Feb at the Hammerstein Ballroom
so it looks like it may be here in the next year

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#24re: 101 Dalmatians - The Musical?
Posted: 4/14/09 at 2:33pm

auditions are posted online.

Really? 101 Dalmations?

Really?

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."