pixeltracker

Which show's closing is most dissapointing?- Page 2

Which show's closing is most dissapointing?

justafan2
#25re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 7:23am

Les Miz (the original)
Spamalot

PiraguaGuy2
#26re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 8:00am

[title of show] - Even moreso because of what it signified, that a small, quirky, original musical couldn't find an audience.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#27re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 8:06am

Spring Awakening, followed by Xanadu.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#28re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 9:22am

[title of show]

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#29re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 9:37am

I'm sad that Spamalot's closing, but it had a good run and just got killed by the economy. I'm going to hope that Forbidden Broadway will be resurrected in a year or so -- I just can't conceive of it being gone for good. I'm disappointed that [title of show] never found a larger audience and always felt it could have lasted longer Off-Broadway. I guess I'm most disappointed that Spring Awakening couldn't make it for another year or two.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#30re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 9:55am

>[title of show] - Even moreso because of what it signified, that a small, quirky, original musical couldn't find an audience.<

Urinetown, Avenue Q, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, The Drowsy Chaperone and Spring Awakening were either small, quirky or original or a combination of all three, and all found audiences and ran profitably on Broadway. I don't buy the argument that [title of show] closed because there's no room for small, quirky or original on Broadway.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#31re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 12:30pm

Spring Awakening.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

dg22894
#32re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 6:07pm

1. Spring Awakening
2. Hairspray
3. Title of Show

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#33re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 6:15pm

All of them have been disapointing.

But in the past five years, the most disapointing for me was Grey Gardens. It had such potential, but it was closed because of bad producing decisions and a lack of an audience. It should have had a much longer run.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

Nicholas Clar
#34re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 6:17pm

I think it's a tie with Hairspray and Spring Awakening. Hairspray, its had such a successful run and to close with not so bad numbers. Its only had like 4 weeks of less than 60% filling. When I was there it was fill to the brim. And most of all... it was amazing! :) Spring Awakening in the other hand is kinda wired. I know the had mediocre numbers but nothing terrible.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#35re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 6:27pm

Legally Blonde and Hairspray. Then Xanadu. re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?

ZiggyCringe
#36re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 8:14pm

I'm not sad about any of them.

When a door closes, a window opens.

The whole argument about "people losing their jobs" seems very strange to me. Most of the original casts of these shows have left long ago, to go on to bigger and better things.

Those people who are in the shows now will go on to bigger and better things.

When a show closes, it opens the theatre for a new crop of people to create a new Broadway show. To me, that's exciting. Who wants a Broadway where the same 18 shows run forever?

Besides, ALL of the shows you mentioned will have great lives on tour, in regional theatres, in community theatres, and in high schools. They're not dying. They're just moving on.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#37re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 9:02pm

Probably Spring Awakening, but honestly they all have a special place in my heart and will be missed. I just find it funny that out of all the shows I saw on my last trip to New York, 6 of them are closed/now closing.

Xanadu
Spring Awakening
[title of show]
Rent
A Chorus Line
Legally Blonde

Counting frequency (2* LB, Xanadu, and SA) I think I've seen more closed/closing shows than ones still staying open (especially considering the fact that Gypsy is pretty much closing only a month or so after SA, albeit for quite different reasons - that's two more).

You do know it's George Bush's fault, right? I can't believe he ruined my plan to turn fifteen and audition for Spring Awakening! Frak! re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?

absolute_taboo Profile Photo
absolute_taboo
#38re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 10/25/08 at 9:12pm

I think all of them. I'm flying over to the Big Apple in February for the first time and was soooooooooo looking forward to seeing Spring Awakening, Xanadu, Legally etc, as they are some of my favourite shows. But i've booked my ticket for the london version of SA and cannot wait for Legally to open in UK, and Xanadu. But seriously, are there going to be any musicals left in February!?

toddlisatyriem Profile Photo
toddlisatyriem
#39re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:20pm

Hands down mine is Legally Blonde! It was the first Broadway show that had a cast that made me fly all the way to NY from Kansas to see the Broadway cast! I had always thought that I could just grab the show when the tour hit town , but that cast was special to me. Pretty sad I know, but I will miss LB and Christian.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#40re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:22pm

Definitely [title of show].

broadwaygirl99 Profile Photo
broadwaygirl99
#41re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:26pm

In order:

1. Beauty and the Beast( Revival????)

2. Spamalot

3. Tale of Two Cities

4. Legally Blonde

5. Hairspray

6. Cry-Baby( I know but I like it)

7. Tarzan

Updated On: 11/6/08 at 07:26 PM

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#42re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/6/08 at 7:26pm

While Spamalot's the one that upsets me the most by far (favourite show!) and I'm sad about Hairspray (Michael Ball will never play Edna Turnblad on Broadway!), now I have to add ATOTC to my list of grievances. It's not that it's a great show, but it's so new, the cast is very talented, it's been like twenty years in the making, and I honestly think it could've been pretty successful had it not opened in 'the worst of times.' The idea of it closing just kind of makes my lower lip quiver.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#43re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/6/08 at 8:03pm

ATOTC

Poster Emeritus

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#44re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/6/08 at 10:20pm

Legally Blonde. I thought it was incredibly underrated, and it always put a smile on my face. Though I guess it's better that it closed, since I thought Bailey was terrible. Legally Blonde circa 2007.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#45re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/7/08 at 7:35am

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Xanadu
Legally Blonde

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#46re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/7/08 at 9:55am

Hairspray - The most joyous musical on Broadway.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#47re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/7/08 at 10:09am

Moose Murders
Glory Days
Home Sweet Homer

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#48re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/7/08 at 10:44am

Was someone even born yet for some of those closings??

I'm disappointed about Hairspray closing, but I'm glad I have my ticket for the last performance.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#49re: Which show's closing is most disapointing?
Posted: 11/7/08 at 11:57am

Xanadu
Hairspray

Drowsy Chaperone