pixeltracker

Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER

Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER

Yankeefan007
#1Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 6:03pm

Michael Cerveris will play Jorgen Tesman opposite Mary-Louise Parker's Hedda in Roundabout's revival of HEDDA GABLER. Todd Sparks will play Ejlert Lovborg.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Cerveris_and_Sparks_Join_Parker_in_Roundabouts_Hedda_Gabler_20010101

Luckydave14
#2re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 6:05pm

Can't wait to see this!

stagescreen Profile Photo
stagescreen
#2re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 6:10pm

This is going to be good theatre!

<---- You can see the crazy in her eyes. ;-)

Yankeefan007
#3re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 6:12pm

Yeah, you'd think, wouldn't you?

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#4re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 6:14pm

Yeah, you'd think, wouldn't you?

Wow.

This is fabulous news! It really is, Yankee!

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#5re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 6:31pm

YES!!!!!! I am now super-excited. I was going to see this just because I love Mary-Louise Parker and dig me some Ibsen.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#6re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 6:37pm

Yessss.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 7:54pm

I hope it doesn't affect ROAD SHOW transferring.

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#8re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 7:56pm

Haha, ljay that was my first thought.

Oh well, either way I wish him the best!

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

perfectliar
#9re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 8:02pm

Such good news... even more excited for this production now.

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#10re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 8:03pm

Wonderful news...I can't wait!

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#11re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 8:46pm

TERRIFIC NEWS! Not only for our main-stay Cerveris, but EXCELLENT exposure for Sparks (who has been building a quiet fanbase following his work with MTC and Rattlestick). Exciting! Michael will be an apt Tesman.

WickedMuzzy422 Profile Photo
WickedMuzzy422
#12re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 10:29pm

I'm so excited about this! it's going to be awesome!

"Labels are for cans, not for people." --anthony Rapp

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#13re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 10:43pm

I agree about Sparks. He's the real news here. Totally awesome.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#14re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 10:48pm

Forgive me for my youth and stupidity, but "What's this show about exactly?"

being.jeremiah
#15re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 11:00pm

re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER

From your new best friend, Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedda_Gabler]:
Warning: spoilers ahead.

"The action takes place in a villa in Kristiania (now Oslo). Hedda Gabler, daughter of an aristocratic General, has just returned from her honeymoon with Tesman, an aspiring young academic — reliable, but not brilliant, who has combined research with their honeymoon. It becomes clear in the course of the play that she has never loved him, but has married him for reasons pertaining to the boring nature of her life, and it is suggested, but repudiated that she may be pregnant. The reappearance of George Tesman's academic rival, Ejlert Lövborg, throws their lives into disarray. Lövborg, a writer, is also an alcoholic who has wasted his talent until now. Thanks to a relationship with Hedda's old schoolmate, Thea Elvsted (who has left her husband for him), he shows signs of rehabilitation, and has just completed a bestseller in the same field as Tesman. The critical success of his recently published work transforms Lövborg into a threat to Tesman, as Lövborg becomes a competitor for the university professorship which Tesman had been counting on. The couple are financially overstretched and Tesman now tells Hedda that he will not be able to finance the regular entertaining or luxurious housekeeping that Hedda had been looking forward to. Upon meeting Lövborg however, the couple discover that he has no intention of competing for professorship, but rather has spent the last few years labouring with Mrs. Elvsted over what he considers to be his masterpiece, the 'sequel' of his recently published work.

Hedda, apparently jealous of Mrs. Elvsted's influence over Ejlert, hopes to come between them. Tesman, returns home from a party and reveals that he found the manuscript of Ejlert Lövborg's great work, which the latter has lost while drunk. When Hedda next sees Lövborg, he confesses to her, despairingly, that he has lost the manuscript. Instead of telling him that the manuscript has been found, Hedda encourages him to commit suicide, giving him a pistol. She then burns the manuscript. She tells her husband she has destroyed it to secure their future.

When the news comes that Lövborg has indeed killed himself, Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted are determined to try to reconstruct his book from what they already know. Hedda is shocked to discover, from the sinister Judge Brack, that Ejlert's death, in a brothel, was messy and probably accidental (this 'ridiculous and vile' death contrasts the 'beautiful and free' one that Hedda had imagined for him). Worse, Brack knows where the pistol came from. This means that he has power over her, which he will use to insinuate himself into the household (there is a strong implication that he will try to seduce Hedda). Leaving the others, she goes into her smaller room and ends the play by shooting herself in the temple."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 11:01pm

HEDDA GABLER begins in January, and it's obviously a limited run. If ROAD SHOW even transfers this season, it probably won't be until April.
And LimelightMake, you really should brush up on your Ibsen, HEDDA GABLER is a classic.
I really can't wait to see Mary-Louise Parker in this piece, I'm beyond excited. I'm not necessarily thrilled about Cerveris, he wouldn't have been my first, second, third, or even fourth choice for the role, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#17re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 11:16pm

Great. I hope I can score first preview tickets.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#18re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/28/08 at 11:53pm

Another tony for Mary Louise Parker perhaps? Nomination for Michael. I see it in the future. I agree with whoever said this will be good theatre.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Broadway Baby 2
#19re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/29/08 at 12:02am

This is wonderful news. I think Michel Cerveris is brilliant.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/29/08 at 12:05am

OH MY GOD! That poster made me orgasm a little... okay, a lot. It's fantastic! I hope I can buy it at the theatre and have it signed, though I'm not sure Parker is an autograph-friendly gal.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#21re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/29/08 at 2:19am

The poster really is fantastic - I love the line in the play about the golden leaves and I think it's telling about the production that the poster includes them. So jealous my folks are seeing this without me since I wrote an AP essay on it, two articles for my college paper and saw it in college. Brilliant. I wonder though, will Cerveris be nebbishy enough? He strikes me as more of an Eilert Lovboerg. I would have pictured someone like Denis O'Hare a la "Mattress" on TV or someone very slight. This comes from someone who knows nothing about Cerveris except his physical appearance, and that he was Sweeney and Tommy and in Assassins (correct?)
Updated On: 10/29/08 at 02:19 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/29/08 at 8:01am

Ray, MLP signed my Playbill at RECKLESS a few years ago and my friend's "Fried Green Tomatoes" DVD. Back then at least, she was autograph-friendly. This might have changed since she has become much more popular through WEEDS. Regardless, I am *very* excited about this production. MLP is a stage actress, and that is where she belongs. I can't wait to see her tackle this role. As for Cerveris, I'm kind of tiring of him as of late, but who knows, maybe he'll surprise me.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#23re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/29/08 at 8:30am

Is there any word as to who will play Judge Brack?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#24re: Cerveris joins Parker in HEDDA GABLER
Posted: 10/29/08 at 11:02am

regnad kcin- Cerveris is one of the best actors on Broadway, able to jump easily between Shakespeare and Sondheim. He will be amazing in this as well.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Videos